CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 04-09-2008, 08:17 PM   #41
Joe Coneglio

Profile:
Re: Anti-Crossfit Resistance?!?

From my experience I have found most people believe what they are doing is the best thing. Take a look around any globo-gym and look at tons of people doing the same thing. I have a few converts under my belt and what I have found to work is, show people the web site especially the exercise and demo section and let them know what a wealth of information there is there. Once they see you doing wods and investigate cf they will either come on over and try it or it will be to weird for them. Oh yea don't show them the Nasty Girls vid right away or they will surely be intimidated.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:39 PM   #42
Grace Patenaude

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Duco View Post
This morning I was at the gym, and I was doing today's WOD, "Kelly."

I was in the 3rd round, sweating my @ss off, doing the box jumps (I had to take those aerobic class steps and stack them to get 24") and some guy on the preacher curl machine turns to his "personal trainer" and said something in the way of "who is this guy? Rocky?"

I wasn't sure if that was meant to be an insult or a compliment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Vessey View Post
haha, definitely a complement.
Some guy said that to me, too, a few weeks ago. In my case, I'll definitely take it as a compliment. Told him I could whoop his a** with the use of his own wrist! Then, he gave me a bow.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:42 PM   #43
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Gotcher View Post
In turn, I find myself not really caring when somebody's using the cables or doing bicep curls (there are no Smith Machines here, just squat racks). Are they fit? Maybe. It's not up to me to decide, and it's not even up to them, really. "Fitness" is a function of the needs of the situation, and their response to disaster will determine their (and my) level of fitness, not them. If somebody gets up in my face about below parallel squats (which has only happened once), I smile, nod, and keep doing them. When the car comes rolling down the street, we'll see who has the quicker 40 meter dash.
I like this comment. Fitness is its own benefit, and if you're doing it to fit in, you're doing it for the wrong reason. Nature, or sport, or battle, will decide who is the fittest.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:53 PM   #44
Chad Skola

Profile:

My younger cousin says he spends like 3 hours in the gym. He came and did one WOD and said it was to hard and he was to sore the next day. So instead he wastes 3 hours of his day doing bench/flys/curls/ and any other wierd machine that requires directions to know how to use it. I try and get him to come back everyday, but so far no. It makes me laugh the way some people think.
70in/150#Go to my website to make a donation to a young 13 year old. Your donation will help make living with Cerebral Palsy a little bit easier. His name is Dax and his story can be found from my site also.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:04 AM   #45
Kyle Koenke

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Garrisonq View Post
As a strength coach I have the luxury of being in charge of what goes on in the gym, but over the years my philosophy has changed on "meatheads". I figure they are at least training, and for some of them it's obviously working well. If they ask about functional strength training I tell them about it, if they are interested I teach them some, If they aren't, I don't try to "enlighten" them. I'm just happy they train.
Phillip where do you work in Mesa, I just started xfit and am located in mesa.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:23 PM   #46
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Koenke View Post
Phillip where do you work in Mesa, I just started xfit and am located in mesa.
I work at MCC
Old 04-11-2008, 10:54 AM   #47
George James Rutherford

Profile:

The "Rocky" comment is funny, because after the first time I trained in our new Crossfit studio, I told the owner "All we're missing is a side of beef to punch". When non-workout people ask me about Crossfit, the ensuing conversation usually goes something like this:

"You know Rocky IV?"

"Yeah."

"Remember how Ivan Drago trained? With all the fancy machines, gadgets, and computers?"

"Yeah, I remember that."

"Well, remember how Rocky trained? He pulled tractors through the snow, climbed mountains, and lifted big wagons?"

"Yeah, that was crazy!"

"Well, we train more like Rocky than Ivan."

"Wow, are you serious?"

"Oh yeah, here's my card. Why don't you stop down sometime?"

Last edited by George James Rutherford : 04-11-2008 at 10:55 AM. Reason: left out sentence
Old 04-11-2008, 12:00 PM   #48
David Vessey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George James Rutherford View Post
The "Rocky" comment is funny, because after the first time I trained in our new Crossfit studio, I told the owner "All we're missing is a side of beef to punch". When non-workout people ask me about Crossfit, the ensuing conversation usually goes something like this:

"You know Rocky IV?"

"Yeah."

"Remember how Ivan Drago trained? With all the fancy machines, gadgets, and computers?"

"Yeah, I remember that."

"Well, remember how Rocky trained? He pulled tractors through the snow, climbed mountains, and lifted big wagons?"

"Yeah, that was crazy!"

"Well, we train more like Rocky than Ivan."

"Wow, are you serious?"

"Oh yeah, here's my card. Why don't you stop down sometime?"
for time: Tractor pull, 1000m?
Old 04-11-2008, 01:52 PM   #49
Chantal Brien

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Vessey View Post
for time: Tractor pull, 1000m?
Hmmmm, maybe we should propose that for next year's obstacle course... Of course there would have to be some fire hoses, mud and 2x4's thrown in to make it really fun.

PS Any word on whether or not the CrossFit area will be set up before we graduate or is it still 'too dangerous'...
Old 05-21-2008, 05:04 PM   #50
Michael Hans

Profile:

I'm a pretty familiar figure around my gym, but since I started doing crossfit I just get really funny looks. Yesterday when I was running from the row machine to an area to do burpees people just stared and sort of shook their heads. Ultimately, I think people feel challenged or intimidated by crossfit because they inadvertently recognize the athleticism and mental drive it takes to be successful. In the end you go to the gym to use the equipment and work out. While it may be a bit hard, just ignore the fools who mock you and be assured that your overall fitness and ability to handle a real-life situation is far greater than theirs.