CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-05-2008, 01:54 PM   #1
Jeff Reiser

Profile:
Elbow Pain with pull ups

Steven or Whomever,

You have tried to help me before with advice but I need to see if you can be more specific with me.

In early 07 I was not working out as much. I was nursing a minor back injury and just was busy. I got to tell you that it is not my style to do that. In the fall of 07 I started getting back into it again, and by November I was at full speed when I noticed both insides of my elbows hurt doing pull ups. They hurt no matter what kind of placement or position that I did my hands doing pull-ups. This has NEVER happened to me in my entire fitness life(18yrs). This up until last week, is something I have just dealt with, because even though there is pain, it has not affected my performance. Anyway, with Sat and Sun being an off day for me, and due to work, this Monday and Tuesday I missed the gym, and I noticed that my elbows felt slightly better, so I used upright rows w 50lb db as a sub in my warm up today. I also sub with upright rows in the WOD for today.

So, what I am asking is the following questions;

Am I doing the right thing with substituting?

Should I be taking time of completely from weightlifting for a certain time?

What made my elbows do this now, when it has never happened before?

Does this mean I will never be able to do pull-ups like this again?

Should I permanently alter my warm-up to allow my 200lb frame to be able to handle pull-ups in the actual WOD without wearing out the underlying tissue?

I am 5'11.75" and 200. When I started back I was 225. Could that have had something to do with the injury?

In advance, thank you so much for answering these questions.

Jeff Reiser
Old 03-05-2008, 03:19 PM   #2
Tim Babcock

Profile:
Re: Elbow Pain with pull ups

When I started rock climbing about 10 years ago I had terrible elbow problems. I suffered through it for a year until I started doing a couple of exercises recommended by climbing guru Eric Horst. The exercises are reverse wrist curls and pronators. It was like magic. My elbows felt much better within a week. I still do these exercises 2 or 3 times a week. Whenever I get lazy the pain starts to come back. Here is a good link explaining the exercises. http://www.nicros.com/archive/climbers_elbow.cfm
It is work and family safe. I hope this helps.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:06 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

If the subs hurt, do NOT do them. Avoid anything pain.

What's basically 'hurting' is tendonitis of the common forearm flexor tendon that connects to the medial epicondyle.

Things that can help are:
1. REST
2. Specific work for forearms like wrist curls, rice bucket, etc. (although in some cases this can aggravate the condition - again, AVOID pain).
3. Stretching
4. Joint/connective tissue supplements like glucosamine & chondroitin, etc.

Basically you should have never worked through the pain in the first place. It is impossible to tell how long you may be out (possibly indefinitely) because of severe aggravation of your initial injury. A higher starting weight does contribute to the easier development of really any kind of tendonitis... so yeah.

REST is your best bet. Once it heals hopefully we can get some light work in to start building back up. Although since you abused them so much I don't even know if they will heal fully, heh.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:02 PM   #4
Jeff Reiser

Profile:

Steven, Are you saying to not lift weights at all? As I stated, there seems to be a little less pain everday( I know it has only been 4 days), and aside from the sharp pain when I was doing pull-ups, everything else was five.

For fore arms I have been doing farmers walks. In addition I have been "palming" plates to work on the various muscles in the forearms.

Thanks.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:12 PM   #5
Charles Moreland

Profile:

Stop any sort of moderate stress to your elbows. REST is honestly the best medicine for this here and it's serious. I developed this same pain from bouldering and went a week and a half with no activity. They 'felt' perfectly fine so I went back to it only to re-injure myself.

It's not worth it. Stay off them and let them fully heal. These injuries could easily develop into permanent damage.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:32 PM   #6
Brad Thompson

Profile:

Just on the off chance that this is nerve related - try the nerve glides listed here:
WFS

I just found this and did one round with phenomenal instant relief!
Old 03-07-2008, 03:19 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Steven, Are you saying to not lift weights at all? As I stated, there seems to be a little less pain everday( I know it has only been 4 days), and aside from the sharp pain when I was doing pull-ups, everything else was five.

For fore arms I have been doing farmers walks. In addition I have been "palming" plates to work on the various muscles in the forearms.

Thanks.
No, definitely lift weights or bodyweight or whatever. Just avoid stuff that hurts. If it hurts, just stop and try to find something else that works similar muscle groups that doesn't hurt.

The forearm work sounds good. Don't overdo it. Remember to stretch out everything and massage and stuff. Really helps.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:36 AM   #8
Colin McNulty

Profile:

I feel your pain, literally! I have had elbow pain for coming on 6 months now, call it what you will, Golfers Elbow / Climbers Elbow / Medial Epicondylitis (WFS) and it's a bummer for sure. My research has discovered that it can be from 2 weeks to 2 years before fully healed! I'm 6 months in and having tried pretty much everything, it's the next 6 months are not looking good.

Hope you end up doing better than me.