CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-25-2007, 05:26 PM   #1
Kevin Hughes

Profile:
Zone on Paleo Friendly Foods

I have been a devout follower of the Paleo diet since January '07. The benefits have been fabulous in every respect, and I've lost 40 lbs. total. However, I still have this extra few lbs. on my middle, and on my chest.

Many of you have mentioned getting leaner on the Zone, and I wonder if anyone has gone on the Zone using Paleo foods. I#d like to try the zone, but I want to stay off sugar, grains and dairy. All thoughts welcome...
Old 10-25-2007, 05:35 PM   #2
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Re: Zone on Paleo Friendly Foods

Kevin,
Many folks here are doing the "Paleo/Zone", so no worries mate.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:44 PM   #3
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Kevin;
I find Fitday very helpful for tracking food intake, along with C/P/F breakouts.
I try to follow strict Paleo, so no advice on Zone, but the one item that I really have been keying on is Carbs and I don't mean junk carbs, but all carbs. I use to eat 8-10 cups of broccoli, kale, cabbage, and fat intake was low, now Fat intake is about 50%, protein 30% and carbs in the 15-20 range.
This is works well for me. If those last few pounds are a struggle, your thoughts on tweaking your diet is spot on, and you might consider ramping up the workouts a notch, if possible.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:38 PM   #4
Kim Dowse

Profile:

Kevin - I posted something very similar to this last week...so sorry for the repeat. I do paleo/zone.

I took the CFJ 21 and crossed off everyting that was not paleo...that's my food list. Also, this site (wfs) has some great recipes...you just need to measure it out to get your specific blocks to make it zone-friendly.

http://paleofood.com/

My meals are super simple.

For example, breakfast pancake 2 blocks=
4 eggwhites...whisked, add cinn and a few drops stevia cook over low heat. (2 blocks protein)
1 cup warmed blueberries on top (2 blocks carbs)
12 almonds crushed (2x fat)

My dinner tonight was:
3 oz chicken (3 blocks protein)
Salad - 2 cups spinach (.5 C), 2 cup cauliflower (1 C), 2 cup broc (1 C), 1/2 cup strawberries (.5 C) (total 2 blocks carbs)
1.5 tbsp olive oil, dash balsamic vinegar, mustard seed =2x fat blocks.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:19 PM   #5
Kevin Hughes

Profile:

Jay...Yes, its those last few pounds that are stubborn. I've been working out with an affiliate for the last few weeks, maxed out and then some! It was there that I noticed a little jiggling when I was jumping rope. And dropping another 10 lbs. will sure make the pull up numbers rise. I use Fitday. I rarely exceed 2000 kcal/day but my C/F/P ratios are nowhere near yours.

Kim...exactly what I was looking for (now that I've found my mobile can opener!) Thanks. I've been able to eat fruit and meat with impunity up 'til now, but it's probably time to tweak it down to fine tuning mode. I'll start with that CFJ article and start eating more uh, broccoli.

Best to all,
Kevin