CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-06-2007, 11:08 AM   #1
Daniel Marks

Profile:
im sure people have different ways of logging their workouts and results
what are some of the methods you used and/or use now?

i see the WOD asks to post results in the comments, but that may be tough to go back in time to see a overview of your progress
it also appears that some keep their own logs within the forum, but i imagine thats only visited by the author

anyone use spreadsheets or other tools to track their progress?
Old 05-06-2007, 07:10 PM   #2
David Sailor

Profile:
Daniel,

A notebook is a great way to start, check out this site: http://www.againfaster.blogspot.com/
It's Jon Gilson's Again Faster site, WSFS, with the most recent posting outlining what's important to record in your log book.

I've been using My Sport Training for a few years now and am very happy with it. The link is here: http://www.vidaone.com/ WSFS. David.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:44 PM   #3
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
I'm old school. I want something physical.

I use a moleskine notebook and a uniball jetstream pen. I'm normally a Pilot G2 person, but the G2 seems to pool/smear too much in the moleskine (nerd alert, I know)...so I use the jetstream.

I also track my diet in the same notebook.

Probably more than you wanted...but there you go.

howard
Old 05-06-2007, 10:32 PM   #4
James Hull

Profile:
I use a regular composition notebook. Put the date on top with a line under it then write in what I did in the order I did it.
Example:
5/6
Sun.
CFWUx3
Snatch
75x5
75x7
85x5
90x3
95x3
100x2
Man-Makers/20#
... etc.

Putting the info in columns helps, you can get 4 days per page! With Excel you can track your daily volume, which can be really cool to chart. To get volume just multiple weight by reps, add it all up. Presto. Some others:
Avg. Weight = Vol. / total reps
Intensity = percent of 1RM for that movement

If you have time, you can also track each exercises progress seperately and watch your 1RM go up.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:51 AM   #5
Chris Sullivan

Profile:

Mac users should take a look at Training Log Pro. Great application for workout tracking. Free download from the developer's site (wfs):

http://www.brokenropesoftware.com/
Old 05-07-2007, 06:38 AM   #6
Chris Honnon

Profile:
I just went to Wallymart and bought some .75 mini-comp books. They have a good cover that won't rip and can easily fit into my pocket. No frills. One page per day.

I use a red pen for things I want to stand out to ease future research, black pen or pencil for everything else. I track a few things right now:

1) My workout - for obvious reasons. I include what I did, times/weights/etc, progress if applicable, and any notes that may be helpful for future ref
2) What I eat - right now I'm trying to get a feel for who I am as an "eater". Not only will this help me as I start addressing bad habits but it is also helpful to track episodes of some diet-related issues I have (also related to those same bad habits)
3) What I'm spending - I figured, what the Hell I need to get a grip on this and I now have a daily journal

This is what has been working for me so far. I tried using a computer for a couple weeks. I found Microsoft OneNote to be pretty useful for this although it's somewhat expensive (I had a free copy) but I really need something I can use right away rather than waiting until I can get behind a computer. Of course the computer makes it easier to search for stuff!

Chris

(Message edited by chrisinvt on May 07, 2007)
Old 06-17-2007, 09:49 PM   #7
Daniel Marks

Profile:
now that ive been fairly active with the workouts, i'll share my technique

i usually check the WOD the night before a workout and jot down the exercises
sometimes i use the scaled down ones when it could be a tough one
exercises are written on paper and performed at gym, recording times, weights, etc

i then come home and type results into google calendar, weights, reps, exercises, times, notes...whatever

i like it because its searchable and also shows the time of day ive been working out

i recommend giving it a try