CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-07-2007, 11:41 PM   #1
Reece Holliday

Profile:
Hi everyone! I am 24/m/@about 142lbs. My overall goals are to be fit and have fun! I have been "ghosting" the boards for some time now and count myself as fortunate to know about such a site with its wealth of info/people etc. Although I have been incorporating crossfit ideas ever since reading the journal titled "what is fitness", I have not been doing the WOD's. Since I just got a set of bumpers, I am planning to do so after building some strength using the CFTotal lifts. I am currently at about novice (based on Rippetoe's strength standards using 5 rep workouts in last week, not 1RM)and have set goals to be between intermediate and advanced. Hopefully this can be accomplished w/in a few months.

Here is my weekly plan:

WO #1
Squat
Planch practice
Deadlift

W0#2
Squat
Press
Lever practice

WO #1 & 2 rotated on Mon/Wed/Fri. I also plan on doing metcon two days a week and slow/short distance running (frustrating shin problems force me to build base) 3-4x a week.

Here are some questions I thought of, and was hoping some one might chime in... What would be the advantages/ disadvantages of subing the side press for the press? Would there be any advantage/disadvantage of beginning a stretching program while "building muscle"? Would this, for example, be more efficient than stretching after some descent strength gains? (Although I see flexiblilty as an asset I am hesitant to stretch much, because of limited time) Well, that is all I can think of for now, and would appreciate any feedback whatsoever.

Reece
Old 04-08-2007, 06:13 AM   #2
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
What's wrong with starting the WOD right now? Just scale to your ability. I think it will help teach you what needs to be worked on by exposing you to a wide variety of movements and situations.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:05 AM   #3
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Reece:

I agree with Anthony. What could be more fun than waking up each day and not knowing what athletic challenge awaits? You'll make impressive strength gains from "standard"CF and can add max effort work-outs at any time. Aim for Tuesday 4/10, the start of a new cycle, scale appropriately, and off you go!

Welcome aboard. Fasten your seat belt.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:05 AM   #4
Reece Holliday

Profile:
I didn't wont to jump right in to the WOD for a couple of reasons:

1.Strength has always been an especially weak area for me and I was hoping a solid base would help with the WOD's (as has been said on the boards)
2. Don't have the equipment to do all WOD's (rower, rings etc.) so I wouldn't be able to follow strictly yet.

I admit that these might not be compelling reasons to put off the WOD to a later date, this is just what I was under the impression of. I just looked over the past week of WOD's and noticed I would have been able to do most (with the exception of muscle ups on Wed and I wouldn't know what I was doing with the clean and jerk on Tues)so I will definately consider your suggestions to jump right in with more seriousness. Thanks for the responses.

Reece
Old 04-08-2007, 09:15 AM   #5
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
1) Having a good level of strength will certainly help with the WOD, but the WOD has also evolved to address this issue. That's why you see a lot more max effort work than back in 2002.

2) Most movements have a sub. For example, 1 muscleup = 4 chinups + 4 dips. Check the FAQ section for other common subs. The C&J can be intimidating to some, so it's not a bad thing to seek in person coaching. But you can also break it down into sections if you want: deadlift, jump shrug, hang clean, front squat, push jerk. Put it all together and you have a c&j. :-)
Old 04-08-2007, 09:18 AM   #6
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Reece,
Another option would be to come see us at Brand X or head over to Mike's for some help getting started. We both have had plenty of practice helping beginners get started.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:43 AM   #7
Reece Holliday

Profile:
Anthony- Thanks again for your help, I didn't realize that more ME was included. You are starting to persuade me to do the WOD... haha

Jeff- Sounds awesome! I'll shoot you on e-mail...