CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-07-2006, 07:39 AM   #1
Ben Roble

Profile:
So have been doing this for about 6 weeks now. love it. Has been the easiest program I've ever done to stick with. I feel like I've gotten stronger. Like I couldn't do a pull-up to save my life when I started and now, while I'm not busting them out easily, and I still use the gravitron on the WODs, I feel like I could do some without help (just not enough to complete the WOD). So the question then becomes, how do you track your progress? We do so many different exercises and mix them together so much that I'm not sure I know how to figure just how much stronger I'm getting. I know that feeling it and using it is most important, but I would kinda like to know as well...you know? Any ideas on a way to kinda test progress every4 weeks (?) to see what it's been?
Old 11-07-2006, 11:22 AM   #2
Adam Morden

Profile:
Hi Ben,

There are a few workouts that you will see repeated every so often: http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#WOD0
The Benchmark Girls do exactly what you are looking for. Record your time/score/feeling when they come up and then next time they come around compare your new score to what you did the last time.

I am sure there are plenty of other ways to check your progress, but monitoring my improvements on the benchmark girls seems to work best for me and doen't involve any extra planning.

Cheers,
Adam
Old 11-07-2006, 06:18 PM   #3
Melvin Newman

Profile:
keep a journal.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:48 PM   #4
William Winger

Profile:
[link is family/work safe, links to an article by Tyler Hass on 'functional fitness tests']

http://www.powerathletesmag.com/arch...functional.htm

You could try those if you're up for it. A little bit different from the WoD, but certainly there will be lots of carry-over.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:19 PM   #5
Mark Beck

Profile:
you could also use the Crossfit North Skill Levels (again see FAQ) or the Starting Strength standards to gauge your progress. But to be honest, just by sticking to the WOD and recording your results you have just about the best system of progress monitoring you could want. As Adam says the benchmark girls crop up with regularity and are just the er..benchmark you are after, but plenty of other WODs come up regularly including the max effort 5-5-5-5-5 or 3s or 1 rep max workouts which perfectly provide your regular monitoring of strength gains.

A few months worth of your WOD journal is a goldmine of information on your progress and weaknesses.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:55 PM   #6
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Use the handy dandy notebook, err I mean, workout log (yes I have a two year old that loves Blues Clues for any parents out there that caught the reference). It notes when a workout is repeated so you can compare results.
http://www.drillsandskills.com/worko...gnup?wkgroup=3

This will set you up in the CrossFit online WOD group so all of the posted CF homepage workouts are already in the system.

Old 11-11-2006, 10:58 AM   #7
Joshua Hass

Profile:
Roger-

Can you explain the skilss and drills workout log a little more in depth?

JR