CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 01-17-2006, 09:53 AM   #1
Sam Putnam

Profile:  
I'm a little confused by the discussion in the WOD today about the advantage of GMs and SLDs over GHD hip/back extensions.

If GMs and SLDs have an advantage over the GHD, why wouldn't the WOD include GMs or SLDs instead of GHD?

Forgive me if this is a dumb question.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:24 PM   #2
Mark Beck

Profile:
I was wondering about the GHD Hip Extension versus good mornings thing too.

I notice that the question on the front page referred to "an" advantage of the good morning or straight leg deadlift. I was assuming that there were several advantages of the GHD hip extension which outweighed the advantage we were challenged to come up with.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:21 PM   #3
Stanley Kunnathu

Profile:
As I understand it, the GM or SLD imposes load at the most appropriate point in the ROM for most atheletic endavours.

The winning post:

"I've gotta say the advantage of the straight legged deadlift over the GHD hip extension is that the greatest moment (which needs the greatest muscle force) occurs when the posterior chain is fully stretched. In the GHD hip extension the greatest moment occurs when the body is in a straight line without a stretch, so there is not much load at the bottom (~90 degree hip bend). Most athletic movements require the most amount of force with a degree of hip bend."

However, Coach has not replaced the GHD back extensions with GMs or SLDs. This is either on purpose or on a list of things to do. If it was deliberate the reason would be that the GHD back extension has greater benefit (compared to GMs or SLDs)for imposing load at the top of the movement and OHS sufficiently covers the warming of the lower back because of the contraction necessary with OHS.

While this explanation borders on isolation of upper-lower back and lower-lower back, its the only thing I can think of.

I would like to be able to explain this accurately, so if there are errors or omissions please clarify.

(Message edited by Xfitter on January 19, 2006)
Old 01-20-2006, 03:46 PM   #4
Stanley Kunnathu

Profile:
If we do the back extensions should we do the "wave of contraction" from bottom to top or keep are back stiff from bottom to top?

I might have missed the critical post in the 3 days of posts but I'm not sure what the definitive word is on form for back extensions.