CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
Tricia Magrini

Profile:
Macro breakdown on Paleo-to lose fat

Just curious for those of you who have played with your macro breakdowns with Paleo....what did you find was best for you if you were trying to lean out/lose fat.....not gain mass.

It's a work in progress for me and just curious to see what others have found successful. Thanks for sharing your experience!
Old 01-11-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
adam adkins

Profile:
Re: Macro breakdown on Paleo-to lose fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia Magrini View Post
Just curious for those of you who have played with your macro breakdowns with Paleo....what did you find was best for you if you were trying to lean out/lose fat.....not gain mass.

It's a work in progress for me and just curious to see what others have found successful. Thanks for sharing your experience!
I've had the best results with 100% food.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Roughly 40% protein, 55% fat, and 15% carbs, most of which came in my post-workout meal.

There's no magic number that works for everyone, but in general cutting carbs will help get your body into ketosis or something near it so you can use stored bodyfat as fuel for low-intensity activities. Check out Robb Wolf's "42 ways to skin the Zone" for some ideas on that.

If your performance starts to drag you may find out you need more carbs. Again, tinker with it and see what works for you.

But as Adam said, as long as you're eating quality food, working out, and getting enough sleep, counting macronutrients is an inefficient use of your time.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:56 AM   #4
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:

Energy balance dictates whether you gain or lose weight not the macronutrient ratio of your diet.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:50 AM   #5
Meghan Reid

Profile:

She doesn't want to lose weight, she wants to lose fat.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:57 AM   #6
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Leigh Ramos View Post
She doesn't want to lose weight, she wants to lose fat.
A negative energy balance will result in increased fat oxidation regardless of what you eat.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:15 AM   #7
Tricia Magrini

Profile:

Thanks Eric for actually answering my question!
I am eating a super clean Whole30 so my food sources are top notch. Sleep is 9 hours/night and 4 WODS a week plus yoga/run 2 days. I have all that straight. I realize everyone is different, but just reaching out to see what experiences have been. Maybe I am sensitive, but gheesh this place is awfully frustrating sometimes. You're made to feel like a putz for asking reasonable questions.

Darryl: Do you have any reading to link me to that would help better explain your responses? I am hearing that what matters is the calorie deficit, not the macro breakdown? Sadly, I haven't found that magic number yet I guess.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:15 AM   #8
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Sorry Tricia. I could post numbers like Eric but I gotta tell you it's highly individualized. Some people blow up the second they eat a slice of bread, some people can get totally fat on bacon, some people are eating spoonfuls of coconut butter right out of the jar for a pre-second breakfast snack and can't put on weight to save their lives.

I've been playing around with diet for awhile and I really like what I'm doing now, but I don't think you'll like the answer because it's not going to give you a model to use. I've tried Zone and major weighing and measuring and I just hate it. For the last couple of weeks I've been eating about 98% strict Paleo. The 2% has been a little goat cheese on an omelette at Saturday brunch. For the most part I just eat a lot of lean meat, some fatty meat, a lot of vegetables, a dense carb source every day (either fruit or a sweet potato or what have you) and fill in the rest with fat. And I've been eating NO SUGAR. And, I've been very focused on getting a ton of sleep. I haven't been training very much and seem to be holding my own and maybe even leaning out, but I also haven't taken my measurements, so I guess, to summarize, this is totally unhelpful for you

And to clarify on my question for Darryl, because my question for him had no productive help for you - yes, ultimately taking in less calories is the way you lose weight. Taking in too few calories will cause you to lose muscle mass. It's up to you to decide what macro ratio (high protein, high fat, high carb) is the most sustainable way for you to keep a slight caloric deficit and not lose your mind.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:25 AM   #9
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Darryl: Do you have any reading to link me to that would help better explain your responses? I am hearing that what matters is the calorie deficit, not the macro breakdown? Sadly, I haven't found that magic number yet I guess.
In simple terms body fat is dietary fat that you've stored to provide energy should your energy intake be insufficient to meet demand. If your energy intake is less than your energy expenditure for any reason your body will use this stored energy to make up the difference resulting in a reduction in fat stores. This will happen regardless of what you eat or the macronutrient ratio of your diet as demonstrated recently by people losing significant amounts of weight on diets of potatoes and Twinkies.

This excerpt from Exercise Physiology: Energy, Nutrition and Human Performance (6th edition) by McArdle, Katch & Katch (p.855 - 856) explains the math -

Quote:
The first law of thermodynamics (often called the law of conservation of energy) posists that energy can be transferred from one system to another in many forms but cannot be created or destroyed. In human terms this means that the energy balance dictates that body mass remains constant when caloric intake equals caloric expenditure. Figure 30.15 shows that any chronic imbalance on the energy output or input side of the equation changes body weight.

There are three ways to unbalance the energy equation in order to produce weight loss:
1: Reduce energy intake below daily energy requirements.
2: Maintain caloric intake and increase energy expenditure through additional physical activity above daily energy requirements.
3: Decrease daily caloric intake and increase daily energy expenditure.

When considering the sensitivity if the energy balance equation, if caloric intake exceed output by only 100 kcal per day the surplus calories consumed in a year equal 36,500 kcal (365 days x 100 kcal), because 0.45kg (1 lb) of body fat contains 3500 kcal (each 1 lb (454g) of adipose tissue contains about 86% fat or 390g x 9 kcal/g = 3514 kcal per lb) this caloric excess causes a yearly gain of 4.7kg (10.3 lb) of body fat. In contrast, if daily food intake decreases by 100 kcal and energy expenditure increases by 100 kcal then the yearly deficit equals the energy in 9.5kg (21 lb) of body fat.

The previous arithmetic represents an overly simplistic accounting for fat accumulation because the diets composition affects the bodies efficiency in converting and storing excess calories as fat. Only about 3% of ingested lipids are lost when the body converts the calories to stored fat. In contrast 25% of carbohydrate calories "burn" during the conversion. Simply stated, the body synthesizes fat far more efficiently from dietary lipid than from any excess of carbohydrate. Whether shifting dietary composition toward higher carbohydrate content actually produces less body fat gain with a caloric excess remains unresolved.

Last edited by Darryl Shaw : 01-12-2011 at 08:29 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-12-2011, 08:33 AM   #10
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Highly individual. marksdailyapple and bodyrecomposition.com both have good information on this.

IMO, a basic formula is get 1g of P per lb. of bw, than under 50g Carbs is rapid fat loss (but not sustainable, especially if CF'ing), under 100g Carbs is a good number for fat loss, and than above that depends on your activity level. Fill in the rest with fats to get to your caloric needs. Caloric needs are also highly individual. You will just need to experiment some.