CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:55 AM   #11
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
I'm not sure about location yet (well, I know the school). It depends on my wife landing a professor spot she has put in for. So, we would have the luxury of starting somewhat slowly vs having to use it as primary income out of the gate. People are quite mobile in this town, the vast majority of students live off-campus.

howard
Old 03-17-2007, 02:46 PM   #12
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
College Station is a few hundred thousand people (don't know exact total) with ~40,000 students on campus.

All that aside, don't be worried. I remember Russ Greene dropping this piece of advice on me a while back on me: If you CrossFit, they will come.

They may not come as quickly as is needed to quit your day job and start CrossFit training as a full time business, but they WILL come. Start out training 2-5 clients for free--use friends if you have to--let them see the results that you track, and then watch it grow. CrossFit in a new town is like any other "grassroots" organization: Slow to grow at first but explosive once it starts does growing.

Results will be your best marketing tool ever.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:11 PM   #13
Jason McGee

Profile:
Running a CrossFit in a large college town

I realize this is an old post but I'm curious about the results. Did it work for you? I'm a current student in a medium sized college town and thought of a plan and was hoping for everyone's input. Would it be possible to run a CrossFit in a campus rec center? I have generated a plan for it and everything. First off, I will get my L1 cert. before I start training and apply for an affiliate to avoid confusion with trademark laws. I plan on working only part-time for 20 hours a week, which puts me at 4 hours a day for 5 days a week. I will instruct by the hour and train a maximum of 3 people per hour. Also, to help me in the whole training and business scheme, I plan on minoring in both Athletic Coaching and Entreperneurship (sp). All this will start me off training a maximum of 12 people in the beginning and charging anywhere from $15-$20 per hour. After training them for a semester and I've made enough money, I will attend and hopefully earn my L2 cert. over christmas break and plan on opening up a gym once I graduate from college and get established wherever my major (Environmental Engineering) lands me. Is this a rational plan? Any sugguestions? Please advise me and provide input!! Thanks in advance
Old 04-01-2009, 07:23 AM   #14
Jason McGee

Profile:
Re: Running a CrossFit in a large college town

Bump for help.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:49 PM   #15
Jason McGee

Profile:

Help from anyone?
Old 04-01-2009, 02:46 PM   #16
Dennis Moriconi

Profile:

I'm sorry, but I have to diasagree with many of the posts here before me.

I am a college student who has recently discovered CrossFit. I have been an athlete all of my life, and in college I decided to drop my sports and train for Marathons. Needless to say, I'm a bit out of the ordinary when it comes to college students, but I just wanted to say that there are others out there like me. There isn't a CrossFit too close by to my school, so I've had to settle for workouts in our pathetic weightroom (which is included in tuition).

I also know of many other students who PAY for a gym membership about 5 miles off campus when they can easily go to our school gym for "free."

If you were to get in contact with maybe the athletic director of the college you might be able to get them to incorporate the CF program into their training. Obviously, the athletics program of the school will benefit and you will have tons of business. This all depends on your ability to sell the CF program, although we all know that it usually sells itself!

Good luck, I would love to hear how it all pans out for you!

-Dennis
Old 04-01-2009, 03:01 PM   #17
Murph DeVane

Profile:

I also am a college student. I'm spoiled though and have an affiliate close by. If you can get them (students) in the door, they will stay. Its a great atmosphere and paying my membership fees are priority three behind rent/utilities and food.

Jason, you'd be hard pressed to find a school that would let you run an affiliate from inside their campus rec center. What you could do is get your cert, and apply for a job at the rec center as a trainer. That way you could hone your coaching skills, and use crossfit methods (within the legal realm, of course) without the risks of an affiliate on your shoulder until you graduate.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:19 PM   #18
Jason McGee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph DeVane View Post
What you could do is get your cert, and apply for a job at the rec center as a trainer. That way you could hone your coaching skills, and use CrossFit methods (within the legal realm, of course) without the risks of an affiliate on your shoulder until you graduate.
I actually thought about this route today. The only reason that I can think of to affiliate while I'm in school is to avoid trademark laws. I would prefer not to affiliate and work as a trainer here but I'm not sure how the pay would work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Moriconi View Post
If you were to get in contact with maybe the athletic director of the college you might be able to get them to incorporate the CF program into their training. Obviously, the athletics program of the school will benefit and you will have tons of business.
-Dennis
I happen to have a friend here that knows the man who is head of the rec center. Maybe by talking to him and after becoming certified, I can talk to him about starting a personal training business (something else I will have to look into).
Old 04-03-2009, 05:43 PM   #19
Jason M Struck

Profile:

in our town there's a very college oriented affiliate, and they are the biggest one in the region.

they were also the first. but they're doing pretty well.

generally, if you want to make money, i would say don't count on kids.

if you want to have fun and break even you'll probably love it.