CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:34 PM   #1
Josh Goedl

Profile:
K&K Insurance Exclusion Question

Greetings!

I noticed that K&K Insurance excludes: "training programs for law enforcement, public safety and military personnel".

I called their underwritting department and they said it means just that. Liability coverage will not extend when training these groups of people.

Who has this coverage through this carrier and what are your thoughts on this exclusion as Crossfit is big into training these groups?

What are some companies that others have coverage through that do not have such an exclusion?

Thanks in advance for thoughts and comments.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:24 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: K&K Insurance Exclusion Question

Hmm... There's a potentially important nuance here. Are you training *individuals* who happen to be law enforcement personnel? Or are you conducting an *official* department-sanctioned/mandated training program? And does the K&K exclusion apply in both cases, or only in the latter? If the latter, will the department insure you, or can they recommend a carrier?

Katherine
Old 03-31-2009, 06:58 AM   #3
Jordan Wright

Profile:

Interesting. I would like to know because going to get a quote from K&K but I was going to be training Law enforcement and military personnel. If they don't cover them I will prob have to go with somebody else. Overall though it doesn't make much sense. I wonder what their rational is. Underwritters are a strange bunch of people mind you.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:58 AM   #4
Josh Goedl

Profile:

I brought it up because I know of others on this website that were getting quotes from them and did not know if they noticed the exclusion. I work for a major personal lines/low risk commercial lines insurance company so I read the fine print. It really has to do with premiums collected and claims paid out. The less claims paid out the less premium they have to collect. So the more things that are not covered, the fewer claims they pay, out the less premium they need to collect, and the less we all have to pay.

It's all interrelated and you really get what you pay for in the end.