CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-11-2008, 09:31 AM   #51
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: How Has Paleo Worked For You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey White View Post

Personally I believe something like Paleo diet might as well be the "Grapefruit Diet" or any other gimmick.
Leave the bait on the ground, move away from this trap, any response will be futile.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:41 AM   #52
Jeffrey White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Leave the bait on the ground, move away from this trap, any response will be futile.
Well let me qualify that with I was talking general terms about "theme diets". Find an angle, write a book.

Obviously if you broke those two down on a health/nutritional level, Paleo is much more healthy and useful.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:48 AM   #53
Brad Davis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Totally cracked me up. Somebody should make a signature line outta that.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:20 AM   #54
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Basically, Jeffrey, the deductively defensible justification for a Paleo diet -- as things stand right now -- is the black box. Try it and see if it works for you.

Maybe things will improve in the future, though I doubt we'll ever have clear evidence for the actual evolutionary theory. But that's hardly necessary.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:36 PM   #55
Jack Gayton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorm Laursen View Post
Jack. It went on and off for a couple off weeks. More like confusion and slight dissyness. When it comes to the physical side, I was more tired, but not noticeable. Mainly because I switched during Tour de France = couching alot!

Thanks for responding Gorm. I have been feeling pretty good lately, even managed a 5:30 AM WOD this morning which is generally brutal for me.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:47 PM   #56
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

Jeffrey I really liked your post and you make a lot of sense, there are just some nuances that might need to be added in my opinion.

I don't think you should have beef with the "paleo" diet for the reasons you mentionned. You got to keep in mind that it is aimed for the mass. Actually you should be happy that at least they advocate the good things.

As you said most of the things they say aren't false, but they aren't fully true as well. Bringing those details would lose the mass and not make it a success, in the optic to get everyone on better eating habits.

Sure, bread can be almost good for you ( read: not as bad as the authors suggest it), and I know because I'm French and I have been eating quality bread for all my life, and even though I'm following ( or trying to) a paleo diet, I still eat some breads. Fresh bread, that after a couple days ( read 3-4) it will rotten ( not sure of the word sorry), it is real food, and the only ingredient is a un-refined flour of a certain grain, yeast, salt and water. And depending on the kind of flour used it can turn out pretty paleo-steezo ( sorry had to ). But I'm an exception. Whenever I go to someone else house ( of course it has to be taken with a grain of salt since it depends so much) , 80%+ of the time, the bread there is the factory made bread that you buy pretty much anywhere. See where I'm going? So should the author ban grains , thus bread, or go into detail educating people on real food vs processed food? Well you said it yourself, people are getting lazy, they dont want to get educated and thus understand what is going on, they just want it to work. I agree it's sad, but it's true.

I'll be frank with you, I pretty much didn't learn anything at all nutrition wise reading the Paleo-diet for athlete, my mother has been telling me all those things for years now, and I needed a complete stranger to finnally agree...

We are French. Before going to some of my friends house I had never met processed food. Everything was done from raw materials, thus delivering not only real food, but quality real food.

I think, unfortunately, this topic is way too much linked to actual society behavior than the actual nutrition tips or facts. And by that I mean education, way of living, way of eating, etc...

Now put things in perspective, you want to get a message through a wide audience, would you aim for really detailed information that the elite part of the mass will be able to aprehend, understand and apply, or would you try to come up with basic tips that will make sure to cover all those details that are going under one's eye.

If you really want your message to be accepted by the biggest audience possible, you will have no choice than to lay down the basics, and let the really interested people ask for the details under-it etc... people are lazy/un-interested/seeking the magic pill/instantaneously thing!

At least that's how I see it.

I would greatly suggest you read the Paleo book for Athlete, a lot of details will be given to you about how we know they were eating that way. Science has come a long way, and it's not only by looking to actual aborigens that we were able to deduce what our ancestor ate

In Conclusion, before being able to ride a car, we needed to invent the wheel. And nowhere in the paleo diet they are suggesting to eat less fruits or less carbs. As you said carbs are really important, that's more Zone followers, who cares a lot of the insulin spike, which is funny because anyways with the fat and protein of your meal the insulin spike of any fruits should be blunted ( just throwing that out here, it really is only my own opinion).

Evolution didn't happen because of anything but itself. We didn't react to the changing environments around us, we already had the proper requirement to survive them, thus we were able to keep living and reproduce & expand. not the other way around.

Nice post Jeffrey, don't be intimidated by others people more narrow-minded answer's, we all need each-other in order to develop the most optimal way of living

*sorry for wall of text*