CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 04:51 PM   #51
Jennifer Conlin

Profile:
Pierre, Well said Bro! I've been trying to come up with how to say what you said all day! Well done.

Old 04-28-2007, 05:37 PM   #52
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Tony, I like the music. I like the videos.

I don't watch the videos with sound on at work.

(Message edited by laurar on April 28, 2007)

Old 04-28-2007, 05:47 PM   #53
Alicia Michel

Profile:
like nadia, i was watching the vid, the music had a nice beat and i wasn't paying attention to the lyrics. i had no idea they contained those words till people began posting about them.

i like the vids tony, and appreciate the time and effort you take to edit them, put them together with music and to put them up on the CF website, for no cost at all to us.

however, i would prefer the music not to contain such lyrics about women. i am with garrett, dale, john and especially rene.

pierre also brought up a good point about cultural differences, and if i may expand on that point: there are non-americans enjoying the videos as well and who may, like me, are accustomed to having more respect shown towards women.

in some circumstances i agree that it would be ridiculous to have to try not to offend people's sensibilities... and it is difficult to cater to every single person. but in this case, i think there are enough people who are uncomfortable with the music for good reasons.

last point in this (long-winded) post: i am very impressed with the men who wrote about the inappropriateness of the music and its disrespect towards women. in other forums, the males would probably have laughed and "expounded" on the lyrics. i feel privileged to be among such men.

Old 04-28-2007, 07:31 PM   #54
Connie Morreale

Profile:
there are soooo many great songs out there that have the same sound to them as the ones we are talking about but without the controversial lyrics.
its a no brainer. use the popular stuff thats accepted across the board.
there is plenty of it out there!

Old 04-28-2007, 07:43 PM   #55
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Growing up with who I did besides my early sports career enabled me to swear like a sailor before I got into gymnastics ( baseball! ). That really had to change when being around kids, especially a lot of female coaches and lil girls or teen girls.
While on my own devices, I might listen to other music; there is such a thing as gym-appropriate music in the gyms I've been at. This is also so I don't offend any parents and have to deal with that drama. Sometimes we have to catch what the girls will sneak in.
Besides now if I'm around Roger, they'll drop me for 30 per offense. Lame, I tell you around guys to our own devices, but acceptable when we're around the kids or gals.

When I first started visiting crossfit.com I used to truly revile some of the tracks. Sometimes, I listen or just mute it. My friend commented it would be nice if the music had some taste in it, but given the regime of working out; whaddya expect for the genre?

There is a time to rock out and be appropriate. While perhaps your target audience won't mind, they aren't the ones paying the bills. The general numbers are in gymnastics gym or in the cf clubs.

Old 04-28-2007, 08:38 PM   #56
Joseph Hart

Profile:
I find it interesting that to actually participate in this conversation you have to swear on a stack of CFJs that you will play nice and not swear and be good to each other. I can't say that has actually happened in a few posts. Yet ANYONE can come to the site open the WOD video and listen to possible non WFS music. How does that make sense? Sure you want to march to your own drum and not have to bow down to the PC gods by playing whatever music you want for the video. Fine. Its not about the music its about the preceived dual standard. This website is pretty much the face of CF. It should be a face that we want to look at and listen to and tell others about or atleast be informed that it could be ugly and sound unsavory, once in a while.

I tried to figure out how to work the Spopnge Bob sentence enhancer converstation in, but it was a little hard after the WOD.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:37 PM   #57
Bradford Green

Profile:
Well shoot... the proverbial can of worms is open.

I am just completely mystified by all of this. I've been around the site for over a year now. Up until just recently I would swear that this was the most respectful, safe, and supportive site and community there ever was. I love the workouts, I love the videos, and I love the community. It is very work/family safe to say that crossfit has changed me in a very profound way. I am a grown man and I can deal with some cuss words and some not-so-nice rap, but the music to "Lynne" and the music to the hang clean/pullup workout was beyond that. It was explicit. What do I mean by explicit? Defined as "describing sexual activity in graphic detail." I don't know what that has to do with a community that has always held itself to such high standards, one that I have always been honored to be a part of, but it sucks to see this happen and it sucks to have to write this. Those songs are completely unnecessary and clearly offend ALOT of people in this community. And that is why I don't understand why it is even an issue. What would these folks say: http://crossfitkids.typepad.com/

Link is WFS

Old 04-29-2007, 08:45 AM   #58
Mark Brinton

Profile:
This is a no-brainer. Apply the same policy in force for the message board. Use the NWFS label as appropriate.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:27 AM   #59
Kelly Moore

Profile:
I prefer no music attached to the videos....I would rather hear encouragement, coaching or suffering.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:00 AM   #60
Kevin Burns

Profile:
I have no problem with the music in and of itself but it has no place on crossfits website.

I would suggest that if the offensive music continues we as a community have no obligation to mark things as WS/FS anymore.

It seems reasonable.

Closed Thread