CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-16-2003, 08:34 AM   #1
Jeff Reiser

Profile:
One thing that I am confused about...

The workouts that I used to do, we took into account tearing down the muscle and letting it re-build itself. You know, careful not to overtrain, etc.

With Crossfit, we do not seem to be concerned with this in the least.

Could someone (Coach, Lauren, Rob, etc.)tell me how to look at this?

Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:57 PM   #2
Jeff Reiser

Profile:
I also had another question in regards to the 5 day a week WOD, How do I implement the WOD from the website to a 5 day a week plan. By the way I have read the Cerossfit journal in regards to the 5 day plan. I am just not sure how to do this. It would be cool if there was a link to a 5 day a week plan. Just a thought.

Thanks everyone.
Old 07-17-2003, 05:39 AM   #3
Dave Campbell

Profile:
My insight into your first question. I've noticed that the WOD does seem to take into account rebuilding (although maybe not purposely). It seems that if squats are included in the WOD, then you probably won't see them again for at least a week or so. Also, if the WOD is composed of muscle-ups or rope climbing (upper body), then you might see deadlifts the next day (lower body)
Old 07-17-2003, 06:59 PM   #4
David Wood

Profile:

Jeff:

If you've read the article, then you know what you've got to do: look at each workout, figure out what elements it contains, and then figure out what sequence to do 'em in. (Obviously, this means working about a week behind, so you can see the upcoming elements.) You might have to go back to an "oldie but goodie" sometimes on some particular day if you're looking for a particular kind of workout.

But honestly, that's a level of completeness that you probably don't need, unless you're a serious competitive athlete. I work out pretty sporadically . . . 3 on, 2 off, 1 on, 2 off, 4 on . . . my job (alas) keeps getting in the way of regular workouts. When I do work out, I usually do any of the WODs that I might have missed, without worrying about whether they have the right number (or kinds) of elements. About the only thing I'll avoid is back-to-back days with heavy concentration on the same body part (i.e., I won't do one day with DB swings and the next with max deadlifts . . . and the WOD would never set them up that way (well . . . never say never)).

At my age, at least, I doubt that lack of perfect sequencing makes more than about 1% difference in my fitness.

Some days, even if I do work out, I may not want to do the specific WOD for that day. . . the Inman mile, for instance, will have to wait a while. So (probably) will today's WOD of 30 minutes of muscle-ups . . . I don't have rings (sorry, Coach, & Tyler), can't do one yet anyway, and just did a pretty full day of chin-ups and dips only a week ago.

So, I'll probably do an old WOD oriented around running . . . 3 x 400m/DL/box jumps is always good for turning legs into rubber.

Is this the perfect sequence of training? Probably not. Will it matter in the long run that it's not perfect? Again, probably not.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:03 PM   #5
Jeff Reiser

Profile:
Thanks David!
Old 07-18-2003, 07:02 AM   #6
Jeff Reiser

Profile:
So, I guess I just follow the WOD's in the order that they are submitted?
Old 07-18-2003, 08:06 AM   #7
David Wood

Profile:

That works for me, and is what I do 90% of the time . . . with the only exception being WODs that I just can't do (e.g., 30 minutes of muscle-ups).

Again, just for the record, I guess I should note that I'm a 48 year old deskbound guy with a family and no real athletic aspirations beyond being fit, not getting fat, and being able to ski in the winters. For these goals, it really doesn't matter whether my training is perfectly optimized . . . CrossFit is so much better than any alternative that I can easily reach those objectives.

If I was trying to compete at something (judo again? (I used to do that . . .)), or if I had a job where my physical condition mattered (LEO), then I'd be taking the nuances of workout sequence more seriously.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:38 PM   #8
Jeff Reiser

Profile:
Lauren or Coach, could you give me a little guidance on these issues?