CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-18-2013, 08:55 AM   #1
Derek McLaughlin

Profile:
Hip Impingement/Labral Tears/Arthroscopic Surgery

Hi Everyone,

I have been diagnosed with FAI (Femoralacetabular Impingement) in both of my hips, with significant labral tears and cartilage damage. I have been having back pain for years, and as of the last year have had quite a bit of hip pain when sitting, standing, running, and now walking. Most likely this stems from heavy squatting (probably with less-than ideal form) for many years. I am only 25, and plan on getting back to a pain-free and active lifestyle as soon as possible, so after talking with the surgeon, we determined that arthroscopic surgery would be the best route to this destination.

I am thinking about creating a blog that would detail information throughout the process, thinking it may be beneficial to those who are having the procedure, or are contemplating it. I would descibe the days/weeks leading up to the surgery, post-surgery rehab, and transitioning back into Crossfit training.

Would this be useful/beneficial to other people? If so, I would be glad to go for it...just wanted some feedback before I jump in.

Thanks, and happy training!

-Derek
Old 12-18-2014, 10:04 AM   #2
John Herbold

Profile:
Re: Hip Impingement/Labral Tears/Arthroscopic Surgery

Hey Derek -- sorry to resurrect an old thread, but what ever happened with this? Did you end up having surgery? Was it effective? How was the recovery? I fear I have an impingement on my right hip. Seeing an ortho soon and trying to get some info on arthroscopic treatment outcomes from other athletes. Thanks.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:51 AM   #3
Danielle Chollet

Profile:
Re: Hip Impingement/Labral Tears/Arthroscopic Surgery

I am in line to get this same surgery, both hips at the same time, about 6 weeks from now. Mine is simpler in that I have no cartilage damage, just the labral tear and impingement which they will fix. I have been having trouble all year and the waiting for surgery is killing me. My problems extend to glute med tendinopathy, and even some ischio-femoral impingement as well, neither of those have surgical remedies, though, hopefully the PT following the surgery can address these. I am not in much pain at the moment because I have stopped all squatting, running, rowing, hip flexion activities, but anytime I do the wrong thing I get reminded with some hip irritation and the back starts to tighten up, too.

I'll try to keep you posted once I'm in the recovery stages.