CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 11-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
Rob Carrillo

Profile:
Dead Lift Form Check

I've been trying to adjust my dead lift form lately after reviewing some critiques on here. My dead lift set-up used to be very similar (if not identical) to my power clean set-up. I'm not sure if I captured the best camera angle. Any feedback is appreciated.

WFS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE6qJDBDKU4
Old 11-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:
Re: Dead Lift Form Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Carrillo View Post
I've been trying to adjust my dead lift form lately after reviewing some critiques on here. My dead lift set-up used to be very similar (if not identical) to my power clean set-up. I'm not sure if I captured the best camera angle. Any feedback is appreciated.

WFS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE6qJDBDKU4
Seems pretty good, your back loses a little tightness at times, try to keep a little more scapular pinch in there. The beginning of the pull looks really good, good balance, but I feel like once the bar clears your knees, your hips tend to hang back. I would try to drive those forward just a little sooner, which I think a better back position may help encourage, too.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
Rob Carrillo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tighe Crovetti View Post
Seems pretty good, your back loses a little tightness at times, try to keep a little more scapular pinch in there. The beginning of the pull looks really good, good balance, but I feel like once the bar clears your knees, your hips tend to hang back. I would try to drive those forward just a little sooner, which I think a better back position may help encourage, too.
thanks for the feedback Tighe! I am not quite sure when or why, but I have definitely come away from the "squeeze" at the top. I did a search based on your recommendation and thought this video of Rip was applicable to your suggestion:

WFS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ocCK4BSIMI
Old 11-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #4
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Those are bad shoes for deadlifting and lifting in general. They are pitching your forward and not stable enough.

For deadlifting either go barefoot or in a firmer shoe (we don't want a spongy heel)--Samba's, Chuck Taylors. CF Nano's aren't bad either. Usually something with little to no heel and minimal to no squish.

For squats and oly lifting, you can go with an olympic shoe or what I mentioned above.

You are pitching forward and you need to keep your heels down and drive/push through the heel.

On the way down you roll the bar around your knee. Ideally you want a vertical bar path. So your knees should move out of the way and not the bar. To do that bend and push the butt back first before the knee starts to bend.

Weight looked easy for you.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
Rob Carrillo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
Those are bad shoes for deadlifting and lifting in general. They are pitching your forward and not stable enough.

For deadlifting either go barefoot or in a firmer shoe (we don't want a spongy heel)--Samba's, Chuck Taylors. CF Nano's aren't bad either. Usually something with little to no heel and minimal to no squish.

For squats and oly lifting, you can go with an olympic shoe or what I mentioned above.

You are pitching forward and you need to keep your heels down and drive/push through the heel.

On the way down you roll the bar around your knee. Ideally you want a vertical bar path. So your knees should move out of the way and not the bar. To do that bend and push the butt back first before the knee starts to bend.

Weight looked easy for you.
thanks for the feedback Robert! I was even looking at some Chucks today. I've always lifted in either running shoes or cross trainers so I am interested in / curious about trying a better shoe. Also, I've had some issues with my feet (plantar fasciitis & heel spurs) so I always pick shoes with lots of cushioning, in addition to a Dr. Scholl's insert. I've got a pair of Adidas shell toes I may try out for squats, deads, and power cleans.

I did notice the fact that I move the bar around my knees after watching. I will be more cognizant of that and try to apply your suggestions.

I swear the weight felt heavier than it looks! I thought the same thing while watching. I wasn't maxing out; that was my 5+ set for my most recent 5/3/1 cycle.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #6
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Initially the flatter shoes won't make your fasiciatis and spurs feels any better since they lack a sturdy arch. You might want to use a flatter shoe with a sturdy arch insert if deadlifting and squatting really bug your plantar's and spurs. Typically, lifting doesn't bug my feet as much as conditioning/tennis etc.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:05 PM   #7
Rob Carrillo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
Initially the flatter shoes won't make your fasiciatis and spurs feels any better since they lack a sturdy arch. You might want to use a flatter shoe with a sturdy arch insert if deadlifting and squatting really bug your plantar's and spurs. Typically, lifting doesn't bug my feet as much as conditioning/tennis etc.
right, I wasn't expecting a flatter shoe to help my ailments; normally, the opposite holds true... hopefully, it will help my lifts more than it will hurt my feet.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
Rob Carrillo

Profile:

besides going sans shoes, I feel like I pretty much achieved the exact same result (form-wise)...

definitely need to spend more time working on my form...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOT_G...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Carrillo View Post
besides going sans shoes, I feel like I pretty much achieved the exact same result (form-wise)...

definitely need to spend more time working on my form...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOT_G...ature=youtu.be
I will hit on what everyone alread said. Youu look all right, though, really tighten up your back, upper back more then lower( lower looks solid) pinch the shoulder blades and really tighten it up.

Also try to lean back a bit from the pull, you are still going forward on you feel, try as you set up for the pull to lean back on your heels more as you pull, I bet as it gets heavy you get the leg shake.

One more thing that is just some thing I noticed but your back looks straight so take this with a grain of salt. I set up or tighten up my back wile I am standing then squat down with my back already set up. I take a deep breath hold it, tighten my back and squat down, then grip the bar take a breath or two still staying tight, then pull.

Doing this is easier then bending over, grabbing the bar, then trying to pull your back straight. But as I said, your back looks straight so take it with a grain of salt.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
Rob Carrillo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Nichols View Post
I will hit on what everyone alread said. Youu look all right, though, really tighten up your back, upper back more then lower( lower looks solid) pinch the shoulder blades and really tighten it up.

Also try to lean back a bit from the pull, you are still going forward on you feel, try as you set up for the pull to lean back on your heels more as you pull, I bet as it gets heavy you get the leg shake.

One more thing that is just some thing I noticed but your back looks straight so take this with a grain of salt. I set up or tighten up my back wile I am standing then squat down with my back already set up. I take a deep breath hold it, tighten my back and squat down, then grip the bar take a breath or two still staying tight, then pull.

Doing this is easier then bending over, grabbing the bar, then trying to pull your back straight. But as I said, your back looks straight so take it with a grain of salt.
Nik - thank you for your critique / advice; they are much appreciated!