CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-24-2012, 08:07 AM   #1
Greg Whelan

Profile:
Running +

Okay, currently, as with since January, I have run in the morning and then lifted in the afternoon(recovered by the time I lifted). Yea, it is a bit much.

I will be off to my REU at the beginning of June and I want that to start the change to my routine.
My plan is to keep a short cardio burst in the morning(wakes me up/focuses), being that a short run, sprints, jump rope/ double unders, wall balling, burpees, etc. I will have my lifting time at night and I will have UoMn athletic facilities for that.

My question is about my running pace/distance speed. For one, I know I need to go all out on the WOD's (trying for unbroken/speed though my cardio is honestly the biggest hold up). In doing so will that help bring my 5k times/distance times down?
Old 05-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
Bob Herald

Profile:
Re: Running +

I'm not a runner so I don't pretend to know a lot about it. But you should check out the. Crossfit Endurance website. It's founder is a runner .

http://www.crossfitendurance.com/ WFS
Old 05-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #3
Jonathan Renner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Whelan View Post
My question is about my running pace/distance speed. For one, I know I need to go all out on the WOD's (trying for unbroken/speed though my cardio is honestly the biggest hold up). In doing so will that help bring my 5k times/distance times down?
Running makes you a better runner. But sure, there are things that will make you a better runner as a by-product of doing them as well. Cycling, for instance, is about 50% as effective in training to run (for running benefits). Burpees, double unders, and all other such cardio based crossfit exercises won't be as effective at increasing your running capacity, but they'll strengthen your respiratory system (lungs, heart, etc will become more effective when stressed) and marginally increase your running abilities, as well as the fat lost during such cardio will be less weight you have to carry around when running.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
Greg Whelan

Profile:

alright, thanks guys. I will figure it out. Maybe I will make it my run from where I am staying into UMn's training facility.

It will work out.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
Carl N Cobb

Profile:

The most effective way that I have found to get a run time down is sprints, whether it be suicides, 30/60's, hill sprints, etc.
Hope this helps

CJ
Old 05-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
Jonathan Renner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl N Cobb View Post
The most effective way that I have found to get a run time down is sprints, whether it be suicides, 30/60's, hill sprints, etc.
Hope this helps

CJ
If he wants to see an improvement in a 5K, then sprints would not be optimal training. Rather anaerobic/aerobic work is what he should be doing.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:27 PM   #7
Davidryan

Profile:

Well I have found the sprints very effective for optimal results and Aerobic work is also very useful for the same purpose . Moreover, I also think that double unders and all other such cardio based crossfit exercises are as effective at increasing your running .