CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-28-2008, 08:34 PM   #1
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Warm-up question

Hello folks,

I have another odd question (I seem to have quite a few lately).

After a general warm-up...

I suspect someone who squats 315 would probably start their squat with 135, then maybe 225 (perhaps 185). But, mainly, the warm-up weight would be about a third or so (slightly more I know).

What about someone who squats 900lbs? Would they still need to start with 135 type weights or could they jump to 315 (basically 1/3 of their working weight).

I know that fraction isn't particularly important, but mainly I'm curious if warm-up weights needed for safety/preparation scale with the working weights?

Any thoughts (particularly if you squat 900lbs... )?

howard
Old 01-28-2008, 08:58 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Warm-up question

For working a 1 RM I would do something like:

300 lbs = previous 1 RM

1x8 45
1x5 135
1x3 225
1x2 265
1x1 285 (first single)
1x1 295
1x1 3XX (PR attempts)

That's with no warmup with anything else. If I did do a warmup I would ramp a bit quicker.

If it's like 900 lbs you obviously are gonna have a longer warmup because you have to ramp up to it. I wouldn't add more than 90 lbs each time especially if that's the *only* thing you're gonna do for warmup. If you did other stuff beforehand for warmup like jog or do CFWU or something then sure add like 180 lbs each time. When core temp is low you don't want to ramp up really fast as you're just looking for injury. Warmup sets are just that -- warm up for the movement (unless you're already warm in which case you won't have to warm up as much). Add too much weight when your muscles aren't ready and you're screwed.

If I was doing 900 lbs I would probably have a shorter warmup to get core temp up first and then start ramping with the 180 lbs increments.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:44 PM   #3
Grant Scalf

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
If I was doing 900 lbs I would probably have a shorter warmup to get core temp up first and then start ramping with the 180 lbs increments.
I was under the impression this was the weight you did heavy singles at Steven?

This isn't a great answer to your question, but someone recently posted a video of Marius Pudzianowski working out. He was going up by 90lb increments each time. It looked like he got to somewhere in the range of about 550-600lbs for a decent amount of reps. I have no idea what his warm up prior to the squatting was though. I just figured I needed more substance than just a joke in the post...
Old 01-28-2008, 09:50 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

It's fine at lower weight which you won't struggle at squatting that much if your core temp is already high. Definitely as you start to reach those 10 plates you gotta bump down to 90s and then down further as you start to approach 1 RM. The sheer amount of sets it will take to reach 900 lbs in 90 lbs increments is kinda retarded especially if you're working multiple sets near 90% 1 RM.