CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-31-2004, 05:50 PM   #1
John de la Garza

Profile:
anyone know if there is any truth to the theory thatyou should eat according to your blood type?
Old 08-31-2004, 07:21 PM   #2
Steve Shafley

Profile:
I'd have to say it's crap.

The blood types, A, B, O, etc, are merely one marker out of potentially thousands you could use to track just where you came from. They are kind of arbitrary.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:54 AM   #3
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Agreed.. that book is nonesense.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:05 AM   #4
John de la Garza

Profile:
YOu don't think, where you came from could affect your diet needs?
Old 09-02-2004, 10:11 AM   #5
Robert Wolf

Profile:
I do...and I meant no disrespect BTW. Where we came from, form the perspective of ERFYT states that the ABO blood types are found not only in all pongids even new world monkeys, making this blood factor about 5 million years older than wha D'adamo hangs his whole thesis on.

The only valuable thing he has to say IMO is that some foods contain lectins whcih can cause health problems. These foods are neolithic in orgin and a very good accounting can be found in The Paleo Diet, or Protien Power Life plan.
Robb
Old 09-09-2004, 06:18 PM   #6
Matt Spiller

Profile:  
Have any of you that don't like the diet ever tried it?
Old 09-09-2004, 06:30 PM   #7
Frank Cruzata

Profile:
Guilty! Never tried it....just not any data to support such theories. I've tried quite a bit of diets and have settled on Massive Eating's macro-nutrient combinations, P+F or P+C. I'm happy with the how it's working out. I've just never had the desire to eat for my blood type, body type, or zodiac sign... ;)
Old 09-09-2004, 07:07 PM   #8
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Yes indeed....I am A- blood type which means I should be eating loads of grains and legumes. Funny thing is that I am highly allergic to legumes and grains cause an auto immune reaction when I eat them(witht he exception of corn)....this is called Celiac Sprue. If you are of Northern european origins you run a pretty good chance of having it to a greater or lessor extent as well.

If you happen to be an O blood type things typically go well as the recomendation is for meat, fruits and veggies, nuts and seeds. Paleo.

Dr.s Michale and Mary Eades, authors of Protien Power: Life Plan were really excited by this concept about 8 or ten years ago. The problem for them was that they could find no clinical application for the information presented in ERFYT.

Robb
Old 09-10-2004, 09:41 PM   #9
Kevin H

Profile:  
"
'Have any of you that don't like the diet ever tried it?'

Guilty! Never tried it....just not any data to support such theories.
"

I'm going to detract from the Zone gospel for a moment to point out that there really isn't any data to support Dr. Sears' magic ratio between proteins and carbohydrates either. At least I couldn't find any in the back of Enter the Zone. But most of us follow the diet because it works well for us and the coach probably recommends it because it works well for a large number of his athletes. But what exactly is working and does it work for everyone (meaning, will it have to work for you if you stick with it long enough?) ?

The difference between trying a diet out and seeing if it works and the scientific method is that with the scientific method you only change one variable at a time. But with a diet, many variables change. You change how often you eat, what you eat, what you are no longer allowed to eat, your activity level (most diets recommend or require exercise as a part of the program), the amount of vitamins you consume in a day, and so on. And lots of people see results on all of these programs, even though the programs themselves contradict each other. To the scientific mind, the question is, "Is there some specific recommendation common to all of these programs that causes people weightloss, better health and athletic performance? or are different recommendations working for different groups of people?"

And this is really what I wonder about. For example, according to Dr Sears, about 75% of the population are sensitive to carbohydrates. So for these people, limiting the intake of carbohydrates is necessary to lose weight. But for a lot of these people restricting carbohydrates isn't sufficient to lose weight. Like some percentage of people simply have a low metabolism, they need to weight train to increase their resting metabolism. Or another set of people eat too many calories in a day, they need to simply eat less food in a day. For another set of people, none of this will work, and they may need gastric bipass surgery instead.

As I see it, our dietary programs today are still immature. We still buy "If it worked for millions of people, it can't be wrong!" reasoning. The South Beach Diet book, for example, is filled with personal anecdotes on how well the diet works for them. But the question is always on how well a diet works for you and only you.

All of these diet programs seem to me to be like fishing with a wide net by changing all of these variables at once. Sure, they catch a lot of fish, but what about the fish that are left behind? But it doesn't matter too much to them because lets face it, they are in the business of catching fish. Most of these programs are based on sound nutritional advice that has been available for years now: eat many smaller meals throughout the day, eat less calories in a day, be sure to get all of your vitamins and nutrients. And then they all throw in their own unique elements, usually some bit of nutritional knowledge that they make so significant that the whole program seems to revolve around it.

What I'm looking for in the years ahead is for these nutritionists to better create programs for specific individuals, and that will require understanding how each of these variables work independently with different people. These nutritionists of the future will no longer be able to just guess on why their programs work because if it fails to work on a certain individual, that indicates a lapse in knowledge and you can't just assume that the indiviual isn't following the program correctly. They should take into account any physiological factors that are relevant: body mass, ethnicity, gender, physical age, and who knows, maybe blood type. And your personal goals are important too, as anyone here already knows.

Anyways, sorry for the long post and as a disclaimer, I'm not educated as a nutritionist so don't take this as any kind of advice.
Old 09-11-2004, 06:19 AM   #10
Frank Cruzata

Profile:
Ahhhh...the assumption is that I'm a Zone enthusiast. I am not. I find it interesting but do not follow Dr. Sears recommendations. Perhaps after some time here I might entertain the idea of using Zone. For now I'm getting good results and enjoy my meals. Good post.