CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-08-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
Keith Martin

Profile:
Garage gym equipment creativity

I've been crossfitting for about 2.5 yrs and as I have limited resources, I am creative with creating CF equipment. One of the things that I was lucky to come across was using cinderblock for box jumps...they are relatively stable and some people give them away. Does anyone else have any other creative ideas to stock your garage gym cheaply?

They are also good for jumping dips and pullups for some of the people I train.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
James White

Profile:
Re: Garage gym equipment creativity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Martin View Post
I've been crossfitting for about 2.5 yrs and as I have limited resources, I am creative with creating CF equipment. One of the things that I was lucky to come across was using cinderblock for box jumps...they are relatively stable and some people give them away. Does anyone else have any other creative ideas to stock your garage gym cheaply?

They are also good for jumping dips and pullups for some of the people I train.

Push presses can be done with small children. I've seen me do it. :-)
Old 06-08-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
Scott A Martin

Profile:

Crossfit, at least based on this message board, seems like fitness for the affluent. That's fine. But there are lots of resources out there for making cheap equipment. Like you, I have a few cinderblocks which I use for all kinds of jumping, pushups, HSPU's, etc. My favorite pieces of low tech equipment are my homemade dumbbell handles made of pipe, hose clamps and baseball bat grip tape.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #4
Keith Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James White View Post
Push presses can be done with small children. I've seen me do it. :-)
I have an assorted size of children for scaling...LOL
Old 06-08-2010, 08:56 PM   #5
Keith Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott A Martin View Post
Crossfit, at least based on this message board, seems like fitness for the affluent. That's fine. But there are lots of resources out there for making cheap equipment. Like you, I have a few cinderblocks which I use for all kinds of jumping, pushups, HSPU's, etc. My favorite pieces of low tech equipment are my homemade dumbbell handles made of pipe, hose clamps and baseball bat grip tape.
Stupidly enough, I didnt think of cinders for handstand pushups. Good call. i was using the PVC's
Old 06-08-2010, 09:53 PM   #6
James White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Martin View Post
I have an assorted size of children for scaling...LOL
As do I, Keith. I see you're in Jax, as well. Do you train at a box? If so, which one? If not, which side of town you on? Perhaps we could do a WOD together sometime.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:15 AM   #7
Bryan Holland

Profile:

I needed a flat workout bench for the few workouts that involve a bench press and I found one on craigslist for $20. It was 20" inches tall so instead of building a plyo box I use the bench for jumps. I have rings made out pvc pipe and I made a 20lb wallball out of a volleyball sand and duct tape.

Last edited by Bryan Holland; 06-09-2010 at 12:16 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old 06-09-2010, 04:46 AM   #8
Keith Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James White View Post
As do I, Keith. I see you're in Jax, as well. Do you train at a box? If so, which one? If not, which side of town you on? Perhaps we could do a WOD together sometime.
Hey James. I belong to Crossfit Southside. Although I train there a couple times a month, most of my workouts are at the YMCA in Arlington (my area) and I'm starting to do a few WODs @ my home gym.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:08 PM   #9
Steve Cole

Profile:

I am a cheapskate CrossFitter and these are some of the things I've done to workout without spending much money:
--50 lb. sandbags are good for push press, thrusters, and running with weight. Wrap in thick plastic and duct tape to minimize the leaks.
--Homemade rings made of bent pvc, hung with nylon straps.
--Homemade wall ball, using directions found on the boards-filll an old basketball with sand (using plastic trash bag as a liner), and close the slit with Gorilla tape. Weighs about 20 lbs.
--Pullups on a tree branch
--Lifting cut logs of various sizes.
--Fill a duffle bag with 2-3 50lb. sand bags and do deadlifts or cleans. Really hard!
--Once I needed to move a lot of dirt uphill. I set my timer for one hour and tried to fill, move, and dump as many wheel barrow loads as I could. I got 14 and I was destroyed.

I've upgraded now--built a garage gym with stuff I found on Craig's list. I spent about $1500 but I have everything I need (except a rope): squat rack, one barbell, abourt 500 lbs of plates; bench; two dumbells; two kettlebells; speed rope; pair of wooden gymnastics rings; water rower; GHD; Abmat; and my "box jump" made of cinder blocks with a board on top. I also have a place to do HSPU, and space for pushups etc. Plus, rubber mats (got 6 for $34 each at Tractor Supply). Fifteen hundred is what I just spent for three years at a globo, so it's a great investment. Happiness is your own garage gym! I highly recommend Craig's List, although it works better in larger cities because there's more stuff for sale.

You don't have to be rich to CrossFit, just be creative.