CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-02-2005, 12:26 PM   #1
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Anyone who is interested in being a greater part of the local CrossFit community in Tucson, here's what has been cooking up so far:

We have the potential to start a CF club at the UA, so if you are a student there and want this to happen, let me know. Someone has already started work on this and they could use some help. The workouts will likely take place at Bear Down Gym (they have four OL platforms now!). I also have some pull with Student Recreation, as I was a trainer there for three years. No, you wouldn't have to be a student or alumni to participate in this...

We are also looking for people potentially interested in investing and/or training in a private facility, I'm thinking somewhere in the central part of town. The initial meetings will be small and happening soon.

Please feel free to PM me or email me at cscsatc@earthlink.net to get more information or offer assistance.

Garrett Smith
Old 12-19-2005, 03:34 AM   #2
Michael Pearce

Profile:
Garrett did you get the email I sent to you? I will be back in Tucson probably in Feb. I have to teach out at the UofA so maybe we can get together.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:28 PM   #3
Garrett Smith

Profile:
[Mike, sending private email today]

Other people, please PM me, I'll send you my email address and you can join the group!

Currently, we're considering a facility and a club at the university. If you wish to participate and/or help with either, let me know!

Garrett
Old 01-01-2006, 09:25 AM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:
I just created a Yahoo! group for anyone interested in the latest Tucson CrossFit-related info:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/tucsoncrossfit/

I just sent out 11 invitations. Currently, we are working on starting a club at the University of Arizona. We'll be utilizing the downstairs gym at Bear Down. Please PM me or join the Yahoo! group for more info!
Old 01-20-2006, 02:51 PM   #5
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Update for the Tucson folks:

To easily join the Tucson CrossFit Yahoo! group (please join, it won't add many emails at all to your inbox), send a blank email to tucsoncrossfit-subscribe@yahoogroups.com . We're now up to 12 members!

UA club update:
I went and checked out Bear Down Gym, both the court gymnasium upstairs and the weight room downstairs. There is a ceiling with I-beams suitable for a rope upstairs, as well as plenty of equipment downstairs for Rx'd and modified WODs. Problem is, there are no weekend hours in either part, weightroom hours go like this: M 11am - 5 pm, T 11-2, W 11-5, R 11-2, and F 11-9, and court gym hours are 11-5 M-F . IMHO, these hours *suck* for working people. I have no idea if the Rec Dept. will give me a key to Bear Down for club use, that's in process. With a proper sports club, even non-student sport club members (NSSCM, what most people will have to become at a minor cost to use the UA gyms) can get access to the Student Rec Center (hours are M-R 6-Midnight, F 6-11:00pm, Sa 8am-9pm, and Su 10am-Midnight) during 'scheduled club practices'. I think we'll be having many long practices.:wink:

Pima CC update:
I have looked into creating a club and/or an actual class (I would be the instructor) at Pima CC. That's still very much in the beginning stages. They seem to have a better setup and hours than the UA (ie. 400m track just outside the weightroom, 5 mile dirt cross country track, football/soccer field, etc.). Quoted from http://www.pima.edu/athletics/RecreationCenters.shtml :
"West Campus:
*Fitness and Sports Science Center has state-of-the-art fitness machines and weight equipment for students enrolled in Fitness and Sports Science classes.
*The public when open may use some sports facilities, including the outdoor track, outdoor basketball court and tennis courts when facilities are open and no college activities are scheduled."

I do know that memberships are available the the FSSC for non-students. I read in the school paper today the football coach saying they just got a 'new' weight room. I sure hope he's not an HIT or Westside guy and all the OL stuff disappears! I don't think it would have, the CSCS there, John Kordich, has been there for a long time and I'm nearly positive he's still there (so the OL stuff should be staying).

My goal is to have an inexpensive place for people to get together and do CrossFit, as well as building the community here in Tucson. I am open to others suggesting facility spaces, I haven't seen much in the central/central-east side of town. They must be inexpensive, most likely industrial 'garage' space.

Doing outdoors, calisthenics-based workouts is always, and has always been an option. There is a half-decent par course (read: pullup and dip bars) on the University of Arizona Campus and all the stairs we might want.

Just throwing this stuff out there, if you have anything to add or contribute you are welcome to do it here or over the email group, or even send it to me personally.

Dr. G
Old 02-21-2006, 07:16 PM   #6
Michael Pearce

Profile:
Garret - I have been trying to send you an email but it keeps coming back. I am in Tucson now and would like to meet up with you. How does Weds. sound? email me with your contact info and we can arrange a time and place.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:01 AM   #7
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Mike,
I emailed you from my old Earthlink account last night, my new email is on my CF profile. Make sure to update me in your address book!
Old 05-26-2008, 12:54 PM   #8
Ron Holland

Profile:
Re: Calling all Tucson CrossFitters!!!

This is a very old thread; however, it is still fairly prominent on the Yahoo search, so I thought an update would be appropriate here. The Crossfit Tucson facility will open soon at Palo Verde and Ajo. We are working with contrators and architects about a buildout plan; things never seem to happen as quickly as you think they should, but we're anxious to get open. The Yahoo group is still active, and updates are posted there regularly.