CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-07-2007, 06:45 PM   #1
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Ok I know i am opening myself up with this one...but here goes. I am being told repeatedly that i have exercise bulimia. I was a dress size 12/14 in Aug and am now a 6/8. I took control of my eating (wewnt from strict vegetarian) to eating Zone/Paleo strictly.

I do CF 6x week and take (2)and teach (3)several yoga classes weekly. I know its a lot but I am a type A. I am totally addicted and find it hard to stop espec since I like the results I am getting. I would still like to lose 5-7lbs but still need to lose body fat in my belly. This due to 4 pregnancies ( a long time ago) and also being obese for numerous years (up to a size 18/20). Otherwise, I am toned and muscular everywhere else.

What should I do at this point? Is almost like I cant slow down. I know this is a loaded question.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:33 PM   #2
David Aguasca

Profile:
hey, sarena. that sure is a lot more than i do, but i'd say you just need to inspect if it's affecting your health or family life adversely.

do you feel overworked or overtrained? do you get to see your kids or husband enough? hope i'm not treading on sensitive turf here, let me know if i am.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:45 PM   #3
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
thanks for your input David. will look into those issues the next few days.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:11 PM   #4
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Things to think over...

Are you sleeping well at night? Are you overly tired during the day? Are you overly reliant on caffiene?

Are you eating a proper amount of calories for the amount of work you are doing?

Are you experiencing any recurring headaches, hot flashes, wacky monthly cycles, or things of that order?

Are you experiencing any colds or sicknesses that you normally don't suffer from or don't go away?

Do you have nagging injuries that won't heal?

And as David said, are you prioritizing things properly -- family and work getting the attention they are do? Do you feel pretty good overall emotionally or are you stressed and anxious?

Just things to think about! It is possible to work out a lot and do it in a healthy manner, but it's also possible to go overboard and harm yourself physically and emotionally. Only you can be the judge of that, because it's different for every person. :-)
Old 02-08-2007, 07:10 AM   #5
Sean Harrison

Profile:
If you said you're addicted yourself, then you may have to cut back. But again, realizing you have a problem is maybe a sign that you're okay. I'm confused!:crazy:
It may just be your veggie/yoga friends that like to put labels on people doing things they don't like.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:13 AM   #6
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Yeah, there definitely is the factor of friends saying you're doing "too much" of something just because they're trying to justify that they don't do anything...
Old 02-08-2007, 08:07 AM   #7
William Hunter

Profile:
It sounds from your original post that you've actually never induced vomiting, so the label attached is completely wrong. However, there are various forms of OCD behavior that I think many of us here have to watch out for.

I freaking love to work out. I'm super consistent. Where I've had problems is accepting the fact that I'm married and have 3 kids plus a very busy career. I will occasionally have to miss a WOD b/c life got in the way. Often I get very moody when I miss a WO I had planned on. Sometimes (not all the time) I catch myself acting like a turd b/c I feel deprived of exercise and I tell myself to get over it.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is to think long term. I want to work out the rest of my life, so I don't want to fry my circuits in the short term. Change can only happen so fast.

Good luck.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:02 AM   #8
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Sarena:

I know you work out with Keith, who strikes me a very level headed and a good advisor. Ask him what he thinks. He may not know your inner motivations but can tell you whether you're overdoing it.

There's nothing wrong with enthusiasm and commitment, as long as it doesn't become dysfunctional elsewhere in your life. You would be the best judge of that.

As for losing more pounds and losing fat around the middle, you might want to think more about increasing lean muscle mass and performance. Excessive concern about appearance is a warning sign although we are all guilty of it at times.

Again, I'd ask Keith. I suspect you're actually quite toned. Women and many men are not all programmed to have ripped abs, etc. Women are supposed to carry significantly more body fat. If you try to get your body to places where it's not supposed to go, problems can result.

Most of those women you see with incredibly ripped abs are on something they shouldn't be or are freaks of nature.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:21 AM   #9
Allen Yeh

Profile:
I have heard the term Exercise Bulimia before and for others that don't know this is what it is:
http://exercise.about.com/cs/exercis...isebulimia.htm
work/family safe link

Old 02-08-2007, 09:37 AM   #10
William Hunter

Profile:
Interesting Allen. I stand corrected on my earlier post re: the vomiting.