CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
Jim B Smith

Profile:
2 day week, 3 day week, punch cards etc????

Ok I am working through my pricing for our hopefully soon to be box. I've noticed several strategies in pricing and I really want to hear arguments supporting these structures. How do you structure your pricing?
I had initially thought I would offer 3 day a week and unlimited. I just looked at a box who offers 2 day and unlimited and at first I thought that was silly but now I wonder if it may actually tend to guide people more towards the unlimited. Let me know your thoughts please!
Old 12-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: 2 day week, 3 day week, punch cards etc????

Two days a week can be good and bad--it's good if you have people who do a lot of training in a sport or martial art and don't want to come to CF five times a week, but it can backfire if you have otherwise sedentary people who come once or twice a week then wonder why they're not making much progress.

With the former group, you'll probably want to tailor your programming to fit their needs and hope that their progress leads to some more of their friends joining up. With the latter group you'll probably want to focus on making them unlimited members so they see better results and pay you more in membership fees.

I've also seen punchcards work at some gyms--the first CF gym I trained at offered me a punchcard deal because I lived 30+ minutes away and was stuck doing military PT on most weekday mornings, so I could typically only come on weekends.

It really depends on what your potential clients are demanding.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
Brian Strump

Profile:

We offer punch cards(10 classes for $150), and unlimited classes(most paying $150/mon).

I don't pressure either way, but I will give my argument for the unlimited classes under every circumstance except they travel often, do other significant training where CF is part of it, or they are patients of mine and travel 30+ minutes, and want to take a class when they come to the facility.

I tell them from my experience, the punch card leads to 1 of 2 things;
1. They don't show up often because they want their $150 to last, or
2. They are frustrated due to lack of improvement in the limited time they come due to reason #1.

If they come 3x/wk, the rate will end up costing them more than our unlimited membership option. Some say they want the punch card because they are not sure they want to commit.....I tell them to get the unlimited option, and actual come to the classes they want. That if they spread out a punch card far enough(thus not seeing the benefits), of course they would not commit.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:07 AM   #4
Steve Loeding

Profile:

We do 2x, 3x, 4x, unlimited. I start all new people on the 3x week and if they want to sign up for more / less after the first month, then they can. Most stick with the 3x week with really good results. We do offer a punch option to regular clients (if they are travelling alot, working alot, etc). We also require a 6 month commitment.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:38 AM   #5
Adam Morden

Profile:

I'm with Steve on this, We offer 1,2,3 and unlimited options but I do as everything I can to start people on 3x a week. when most of my potential clients (non-crossfitters, typically sedentary office workers) start up they get a lot more out of every other day, as eve scaled on-ramp workouts make them super sore and in need of more recovery time. If your potential clients are already competitive athletes or military maybe push for unlimited but the added bonus of a limited membership is that as you grow it meters your clients use of the gym so you can train more members in less space with less equipment which eases growing pains.

Also Brian's point about punchcards is really good - I also find they de-incentivize people from attending classes.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
Jim B Smith

Profile:

Thanks for all the feed back!
Old 01-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

When I overhaul my memberships I introduce a 3 Day a week. It is a big hit. Many folks, particularly with irregular job hours or young kids, have a hard time making it more often.

What I have found very interesting is when many of them moved from unlimited (i.e. undefined) to 3 Days a week their attendance improved because they come 3 days a week every week.

After a couple of conversations with long term members who where unhappy about my price increase I'm changing the name of my unlimited membership to something like 4 or more days a week. This way there is no undefined gap in days for people to get confused.

The math on my pricing works so if you come 4 days a week on this membership you are paying less per class then the 3 day a week membership.

People defiantly do better with a specific number.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #8
Silviu Bona

Profile:

Just wondering, what would you charge for a 3 days a week, and what would you charge for the 4+? days a week? Is your 4+ day unlimited? or just 4 days?

Thanks