CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-05-2011, 08:09 PM   #1
Matt Rainwater

Profile:
Regional Format

Hey,

Does anyone know what the regional format is likely going to be? I made it on my team after our top guy decided to go on as an individual. My wife and I booked a trip to Hawaii long before the regional dates were announced. Our regionals are from Friday June 17th-Sunday the 19th and we the departure for our vacation is on Saturday June 18th. I thought that I read the teams may be competing only two days and I would love to find out so I can change my flight. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 05-09-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
Matt Rainwater

Profile:
Re: Regional Format

Anyone at all? No ideas, comments or do I need to say something more controversial to get responses? How about the "unknown and unknowable" is not a excuse for a poor business model which has been displayed many times over in the recent past. Many people are trying to make plans for time off work, hotels and other accommodations. I talked with a top regional competitor today who had no idea the regionals started on a Friday.

I'm not asking for the WOD's I just want to know who is competing on which days.

With that in mind, whats the possibility that I show up at Long Beach State for the regional and find its been moved to the Home Depot Center in Carson and thats our first event?
Old 05-10-2011, 02:17 AM   #3
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

I think if any of us could help you we would. If you have the dates and are willing to change your vacation around competing why not do so? I don't see how the format matters if it is two days 17-19 and you leave on the 18th. Unless you booked a red eye on purpose.

You should contact the Serrano's at CF Marina... Good luck
Old 05-10-2011, 07:28 AM   #4
Matt Rainwater

Profile:

I contacted Marina Crossfit who got back to me very quickly. The best info they had was the event would start on Friday around mid day through Sunday mid day. After reading the “Crossfit Games Fraud” post and the idea that HQ does know well in advance what the WOD’s are going to be I thought I’d cast a wider net. My main goal is to be a good team mate while not missing my anniversary trip with my wife. Having put on many large track and field meets, including championship meets, I find it hard to believe that HQ doesn’t have the schedule set with the first regional in 17 days. If they don’t, I’m more than willing to volunteer to help set the schedule. Heck, if they can get me the days teams and individuals are competing by the end of today (5/10/11) I’ll sign up to volunteer all three days of the games.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:29 AM   #5
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Whoa, your anniversary... You've heard the proverb about a woman scorned right?

I guess I don't see what more info you need... We've always wittled down competition and had the best compete on the last day (19th). If your team is going to do well my guess is you'll have to compete on the 19th with the other top teams to find out the top 3 that will move on. You fly out on the 18th...you need to change your flight if you want to compete...I don't think you need an itinerary to determine that.

of course there could possibly be a format where the top teams are determined on the 17th and 18th, but that would be a strange way to organize the event and inconsistent with '09 and '10 Games procedures...which were fairly consistent with regard to how Regionals ran, at least in SoCal.

Anyway, good luck...
Old 05-10-2011, 09:08 AM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Between the logistics of getting to and from the competition, the competition itself, and the logistics of getting to the airport, I think it's pretty safe to assume that flying on the 18th just won't work.

For the sake of marital harmony, if you change your flight I'd suggest adding an extra day in Hawaii on the end of your trip as well.

Katherine
Old 05-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #7
Sean Dunston

Profile:

personally, I don't think this is on HQ.
I could be wrong, but I don't think HQ is writing the WODs for the Regions. That would mean that each Region MUST HAVE all of the same equipment available to them so that there is uniformity for the WODs.

It is far more likely that each Region's organizer is planning the entire weekend's WODs, with what s/he knows to be the available equipment/terrain/apparatus, etc.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #8
Geoff Archibald

Profile:

Rogue is supplying equipment for all of the regionals.
rogue-gears-regionals WFS
It is possible that HQ could design all of WODs. They could all be different. I would bet that the local organizers will be responsible with some guidelines from HQ.

Unknown and unknowable can certainly complicate planning.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:06 AM   #9
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Interesting.
Do you think that each Region will have the same WODs, given the fact that the Regions will be competing at different dates?
Old 05-10-2011, 11:16 AM   #10
Geoff Archibald

Profile:

My guess is that the regionals will have different but similar events. I'm sure they would like to see some consistency while still operating under the premise of unknown and unknowable. I could see them having the same WODs for simultaneous regionals.

IME the team events have more strategy to them so advance knowledge would be a bigger deal for that component.

It will be interesting to see how it all evolves.