CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-19-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
Michael Zoda

Profile:
Starting my garage gym!

Ok im beginning my garage gym and i would like to go over everything with you guys before i go and drop a boatload of money.

First off my garage is rather small in the first place, but i only really have half the space to work with due to the fact i live with my parents and they need stoarage etc.. In fact i think most of my work will be done in the driveway in front of my garage.

The first things i plan on buying are:

Barbell ---- ?
Bumper Plates --- ?
Squat Rack --- i was thinking this http://www.theg2scart.com/Garage_Gym.../g2ssqtdip.htm (wfs) the price bewilders me, it seems too good to be true but its IDEAL for my garage. i wanna try it out. Any other compact rack suggestions let me know
Pullup bar ---- stud bar. I have no rafters in my garage, nor do i have room for a huge rack with a pullup bar.
Matting

This leads me to ask you guys about barbell/bumper plate suggestions. I have done a lot of research and my main concern is the plates being thin enough so i can fit a decent amount of them on the bar. I was almost dead set on the Hi-Temp ones from roguefittnes (because their great for outdoors and right in my price range) but you can only fit four 45lb'ers on the bar. This is problematic because my deadlift is approaching 405 and once it gets there i dont want to have to buy a set of steel plates just to move on. I was also looking at the troy plates but I am not sure how thick they are nor am I sure of the quality. I have heard mixed things. My next options are the pendalay econ plates, or the MHTY plates. Does anybody have any experience with these? i cant find too much on them.

The above is going to my first investment. Me and my brother are splitting the costs because we will both be using the gym. Heres a list of additional equipment I plan on picking up in the future.

In this order:

Weight Stands (I know this is important but i believe the other stuff is more important and as soon as finances allow i will pick one up)
Rings
KB's
Pylo boxes (i LOVE box jumps)
Sandbag
Flat Bench
Medicine ball

Suggestions welcome!!!! =D
Old 07-19-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: Starting my garage gym!

I (and I'm sure others) will come back to this message with more detail later, but one quick point here on the weights.

Don't worry so much about the thickness of the bumpers. Get good ones that you'll be happy with, and then dive in to Craigslist later for cheap sets of steel plates. You can get steel plates off of CL for a song. They might have some rust & dings on them, but who cares?

- Mark
Old 07-19-2010, 06:24 PM   #3
Adam Miller

Profile:

I just got most of my equipment in and set up today. For matting, which I spent way too much time over analyzing, check Horse and Feed stores in your area. I picked up 3, 4' by 6', Horse Stall Mats for 35.99 each. They are 3/4 of an inch thick and are very nice. This price was compared to, or lower then, "gym" or "athletic" matting pricing per square foot.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:31 PM   #4
Jeremy Lee

Profile:

You should follow Mark's advice.....I would go with a set of Hi-Temp if you are going to use them primarily outside. I had a bunch of the Pendlay/MHTY plates and the hubs became very loose within a week of use. I have Hi-Temp plates that are 3 years old which have been used in countless workouts / stacked for box jumps and are still as good as new. They are not pretty, but they work. Chances are you will be doing low reps for your heavy DL’s, so just get a cheap 300 lb set off Craigslist and mix them with the Hi-Temps. You will want the metal 2.5 / 5 / 10 plates anyway.

Also get some rings……they are cheap and you can use them for many different exercises.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:54 PM   #5
Michael Zoda

Profile:

is it ok to mix the 2.5/5/10 steel plates with the bumpers?
Old 07-19-2010, 09:23 PM   #6
Matthew Mills

Profile:

Yes. Rule of thumb is that Rubber weighs more than iron. Include the bar in the iron figure. Of course, none of that matters if you aren't going to dump the weight.

That being said... the 10lb Hi-temp plates(for a 65lb total including bar) were dumped from full overhead MANY times during the CrossFit games with no problems. On my short list to buy.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:19 AM   #7
James Orr

Profile:

I just got a set of 10 lb. Hi-Temps from Rogue. They're pretty wobbly . . . however, I haven't tried dropping them, so I can't report on how they actually do. I was pretty surprised to see them holding up during the games.

I have the Garage Gym bumpers and like them. If they have their squat stand in stock, they might make a deal on shipping if you order as a package. Do not order the squat stand if it is not in stock. Ask SPECIFICALLY if it is.

I have the Pendlay HD bar and S-1 squat stand from Rogue. Were I to do this again, I would've simply ordered a Rogue bar and bumper package. I would have saved $150-200 after shipping and tax.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:18 AM   #8
Matthew Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Orr View Post
I just got a set of 10 lb. Hi-Temps from Rogue. They're pretty wobbly . . . however, I haven't tried dropping them, so I can't report on how they actually do. I was pretty surprised to see them holding up during the games.

I have the Garage Gym bumpers and like them. If they have their squat stand in stock, they might make a deal on shipping if you order as a package. Do not order the squat stand if it is not in stock. Ask SPECIFICALLY if it is.

I have the Pendlay HD bar and S-1 squat stand from Rogue. Were I to do this again, I would've simply ordered a Rogue bar and bumper package. I would have saved $150-200 after shipping and tax.
I have had the Rogue Hi temps for a year now and dumped the weight many times. The 10's are holding up strong so far.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:53 AM   #9
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Mills View Post
That being said... the 10lb Hi-temp plates(for a 65lb total including bar) were dumped from full overhead MANY times during the CrossFit games with no problems. On my short list to buy.
pretty sure those were actually 15lb plates on a woman's bar.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:29 AM   #10
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

- Barbell & bumpers : I went with the 260lb set from Wright Rubber. Happy with them so far. Other packages from places such as Rogue and Again Faster are great as well. As I mentioned in my earlier reply, supplement with steel plates off of Craiglist.

- Squat rack :
I built mine using 2x4's, cement, and paint buckets from Home Depot. Basic idea here (wfs).

- Pullup bar:
Yep, go with the Studbar. It's possible to make a bar from galvanized pipe, but I elected to go with the proven Studbar solution on my finished ceiling.
Be VERY detailed in your planning for where to put the bar. Specifically, make sure that you plan out where you'll do your overhead lifts and jumping rope so that you won't impact the bar. Consider how you'll manage a WOD that includes something on the bar, an overhead lift, and jumping rope; especially if your garage door opens (as mine does) not flush with the ceiling, which means that I lose a lot of overhead room when I workout with my garage door open.

- Mats :
Horse stall mats, no doubt.

- Weight Stands: If you mean stands in/on which to store your weights...I simply built a big frame from 2x4's and then partitioned it off with individual slots for each bumper. Really though, storage for your weights isn't all that important. Our gym just stacks all the bumpers on top of each other.

- Rings:
I made mine from PVC pipe but will eventually buy some; probably wood from either Rogue or AF.

- KB's:
Bought my Troy KBs from Bert Thornton here (wfs). Love `em.

- Pylo boxes :
Make `em or find someone who can do it for you. There's a Crossfit Journal article with plans. You DO have a CJ subscription, yes?

- Sandbag :
Again, make em. Fill contractors bags with sand, zip tie closed, and then stuff into a cheap duffel bag.

- Flat Bench:
I didn't bother with this, as I really don't work on bench press. Were I to get a flat bench, I'd probably just look for it on CL.

- Medicine ball
- I made a 15lb ball by filling an old basketball with sand and then duct taping the hell out of it. I also have a 20lb true med ball from Wright. Both have their place.

Other things to consider:

- PVC parallettes
- white board(s)
- cleaner for your stall mats & white board(s)
- fan for the garage to help keep cool
- stereo system
- small refrigerator

Have fun!!

- Mark