CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-17-2006, 10:05 AM   #1
Joe Crabb

Profile:
I'm just getting started: 40 yrs old and about 15 lbs overweight and severely out of shape. Will the feeling of passing out and queezy stomach pass as I get in better shape? Right now I get about half way through and get extremely dizzy.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:22 AM   #2
Kevin Burns

Profile:
yes it will. you'll get more used to it as early as 2 weeks into it. to save you the trouble.. you'll also learn that what makes you feel sick and queasy is when you stop to rest. not that you shouldn't stop if you have to but try to figure out how you can scale the workouts so you don't have to take as many rest breaks in the middle. i can do some of the WOD with the prescribed weight but it trashes me and i have to stop. better to scale down the weight.

also try some tabata sprints.. that will help your tolerance to the "pain"

Old 08-17-2006, 12:44 PM   #3
Peter Queen

Profile:
Welcome Joe. Make sure you keep yourself hydrated as well. I drink up to a gallon of water a day even on rest days. Start cutting back on all your grain based foods, sugars and hot spices. Good nutrition will also help to build up your tolerance. I'm 45 and can still keep up with the young pups.:banana:
Old 08-17-2006, 01:00 PM   #4
Kevin Burns

Profile:
Speaking of water. Here is an interesting article on Everest climbers and how water intake improved their climbs.

http://www.mounteverest.net/expguide/cure.htm

Old 08-19-2006, 02:17 AM   #5
Kevin King

Profile:
Joe,

Please discuss a VIGOROUS exercise program with your physician before you get too over-extended. This is just a good idea. In the mean time, do what I did: scale the workouts. Go with less weight, less reps or take longer rests. The most important part of starting in CF is form and getting used to the technique and flow of the workouts. Just focus on that for the first month, then start to ramp up your intensity. I have been at this for three months and still surprise myself with higher and higher intensities. This program is really hard and if you find yourself getting sick every time you do it, you won't stick with it (although the spectre of Pukie is fun from time to time.)

Good luck!

-- Kevin
Old 08-19-2006, 11:40 AM   #6
Seth Orell, Jr.

Profile:
Joe,

I'll echo Kevin's suggestions just to give them more emphasis. Crossfit is indeed vigorous, even at scaled levels. And, it's extremely hard to work out when you're injured or sick (or worse!) from overtraining.

Glad to have you aboard.

-Seth