CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-26-2007, 05:24 PM   #1
James Falkner

Profile:
Ok, how are these people allowed to publish.

This study on weight loss (safe for work/family) claims that exercise doesn't help in weight loss. Doesn't this go against the idea of "more muscle means more calories burned at rest, therefore greater weight loss" ? Is this true?

(Message edited by schtool on February 26, 2007)
Old 02-26-2007, 06:27 PM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
You can lose weight by eating right....their version of exercise I am sure was just walking not strength training. So each person burned the same amount of calories a day whether it be through less calories or more exercise.

Does not compare to strength training and how that can boost your metabolism too. Or how HIT protocols use EPOC to increase cal burn over the hours post workout. Either way....shows the important effect of getting your nutrition right.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:41 PM   #3
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Actually their study makes perfect sense. If you eat less you are going to weigh less for the most part. If you exercise intensely you may add 250kcals burned a day which comes to about 1750kcals a week of fat burned. That is half a pound. the only thing the study fails to address is body composition after the weight loss. I would sure hate to go from obese and chubby to a more average size and still chubby. I like having an athletic body and that is exactly what this study fails to consider. There is more to health and performance than weight. Take two men at 200lbs. the one at 10% bodyfat is going to be much more athletic and aesthetic than the one at 20% bodyfat.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:08 PM   #4
James Falkner

Profile:
I guess 6 mos. just isn't enough to draw the conclusion I'm looking for: that exercise is beneficial for long-term health. Especially not helpful when the exercise is low intensity work.

Nick, why can't you move a little closer so we can work out more often?? My neighbor fell off the wagon a few weeks ago :-)
Old 02-27-2007, 05:59 AM   #5
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
These studies never work with above average exercisers. The problem with mild exercise is it's hard to restrict calories and get enough protein, vitamins, minerals, etc. to support non fat mass, with just diet alone. Also gaining 5 or 10 lbs of muscle is going to have positive long lasting effects on BMR. These studies don't mean anything to people reading this board.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:28 PM   #6
Kim Chase

Profile:
Honestly, this result doesn't surprise me much. I'd been carrying around 10-15 lbs for 7-8 years. In that time, I went from sedentary, to being a triathlete training 7-10 hours per week, to moderately active with no real goals, to Crossfit with relatively little change in weight. No doubt I looked better and was healthier when I was more active, but the weight just kinda stayed the same or went up when I put on muscle.

Then I found out I had some food allergies and cut out wheat, corn, dairy, soy, eggs and yeast (including beer). Basically, I had to move from pathetic, half-hearted attempts to eat healthy to an entirely whole foods diet. Lots of meat and veggies, essentially. I dropped that 15 lbs at a pretty quick rate, settled in at 140 lbs and haven't budged since. I feel like this is the weight I'm supposed to be at and exercise had nothing to do with it.

I would think that exercise would help most people struggling to lose weight, but the biggest change has got to be diet in order to really lose weight. At least, that's my opinion based on my experience...