CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-31-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
Enrico Chacon

Profile:
Better to Rx or get a faster time by scaling etc?

Hi all! Finished my first two months and I am truly enjoying it. (M/5'5/175)

My question is, Is it better to Rx and have a slower time/lower reps or scale down and have a faster time/higher reps?

For instance we had a WOD that was 8 minute round, 1000m row and then as many T2B with the remaining time. Was only able to do 19 T2B in 3 minutes. Would it have been better if I just did v ups?

Thanks
Old 08-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
Guadalupe Camacho

Profile:
Re: Better to Rx or get a faster time by scaling etc?

I would say it's better to rx. The way I look at it, unless you're in an actual competition you should only be competing against yourself and trying to push your own body's limits. If you can do the workouts as prescribed, don't cheat yourself by trying to speed through them
Old 08-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

The answer might be yes.

Benefits to both, only reason to be consistent about it is to see progress.

Lots of old threads discussing this which have a lot of good ideas and are worth researching
Old 08-31-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
Andrew G Parker

Profile:

Seems like in many in other threads promote that scaling for better time is better. I have tried to focus on doing prescription WODs over better times. I know I could get better times with scaling, but find that I am improving consistently.

That being said, I see some WODs that require something that I could maybe do Rx, but would overly limit the workout, I will scale intentionally. For example, we had an amrap a couple of weeks ago that required lifting a medicine ball up and over the shoulder for 15 reps each round. Rx was 100 lbs. I could do it, but knew at my current strength it would seriously skew the workout and cost me the benefits of more rounds with the other movements as well, so I scaled to the 70 lb ball. The WOD toasted me, so it was a good workout and probably better than if I'd tried it Rx.

Another thing I measure by is technique or form. Even if I can do the movement, if I don't think I can maintain good technique for the duration required (reps or time), I will scale rather than risk doing damage. The first time I did overhead squats, I tried it Rx and just couldn't maintain good technique so in agreement, the coach pulled some weight off while I was finishing that round with a run.

I don't think it is a hard and fast rule. I could benefit maybe more with the higher intensity of more scaling, but also feel my strength level limits me too. Either way, the WODs seriously test my strength and cardio. Do what is beneficial and motivating to you.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:32 PM   #5
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico Chacon View Post
Hi all! Finished my first two months and I am truly enjoying it. (M/5'5/175)

My question is, Is it better to Rx and have a slower time/lower reps or scale down and have a faster time/higher reps?

For instance we had a WOD that was 8 minute round, 1000m row and then as many T2B with the remaining time. Was only able to do 19 T2B in 3 minutes. Would it have been better if I just did v ups?

Thanks
As this one seems more geared towards core strength/endurance, I would aim to RX.

If, however, it seemed like something short, fast, and intense (such as Fran or Helen), it may be better to scale to receive the conditioning benefits of such a workout.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
Jeremy Benezra

Profile:

I think it depends a lot at what you are already good at and currently bad at.

When I was at my Level 1 Cert at Rainier CF in Sumner, WA, Rory Zambard, who placed 14th at the Games, told me that I personally should scale my workouts.

I am already strong, but relative to that my cardio sucks. And since I need to work on my cardio more than my strength, Rory said something along the lines of, "During a metcon, I'd much rather have you be doing the movement with a scaled weight of 135# or whatever, than staring at your RX bar of 185# and wishing that you could actually breathe enough to clean it." I don't remember exactly what weights or movement her example was but the idea sticks.

I follow Invictus. So I definitely still go 100% all out on strength day or the strength portion of the workout. Just on metcons I'll check my ego, and scale when I need to so I can maximize the cardio benefits.
Fran 5:17, Front Sq 295, Squat Clean 215, OH SQ 165, Jerk 210. Oly needs work.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:55 AM   #7
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

This does not have to be an either/or question. Sometimes scale, sometimes don't.
Let's say you have a 12 minute Fran. If sometimes you scale to 45lbs and bust it out in 6 minutes, and sometimes you do it RX at 12, each time you are working different elements.
So mix it up. Take the long view. And you'll learn what makes sense for you.