CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-05-2010, 11:39 AM   #21
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: New to CF need combat-endurance emphasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Erez View Post
For some reason I don't see the editing button, so I will write it here:

I see you guys mention the word "scale" a lot, do you refer to taking things slowly and make the workouts harder overtime? for example scaling a bench press would be to start with 5 reps for some weight, then going for 8 reps, then for 10?

Thanks.
- Edit button disappears some amt of time after you save your post. I forget how much time.

- Scale generally means to reduce the load, not the reps. e.g. do 95 lbs instead of 135, do jumping pullups instead of kipping, jump to a 12" box instead of a 20" box, etc....

Mark
Old 10-05-2010, 11:54 AM   #22
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
For some reason I don't see the editing button, so I will write it here:

I see you guys mention the word "scale" a lot, do you refer to taking things slowly and make the workouts harder overtime? for example scaling a bench press would be to start with 5 reps for some weight, then going for 8 reps, then for 10?

Thanks.
Scaling can mean fewer reps of a movement in the wod, more commonly though it will mean doing the same number of reps but with a lower weight - or in the case of pull-ups/rings/pushups/TTB it would be a variation in the assistance (bands) or incline you use. You are most likely to see fewer "reps" used as scaling is for distance work (meters/miles) as opposed to lifts. It really depends on how far you are having to scale, for most beginner level scaling it will be a combination of both fewer reps and lower weight or assistance.
Check out the brandx forum, they post daily scaling of the wod and several levels, here is a good example: http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index....wthread/11303/ (wfs)
Old 10-05-2010, 01:37 PM   #23
Guy Erez

Profile:

Thanks for the answers.

Tell me if I got it right, scaling means using lighter weight than the standard, for example the WOD says benchpress with 180 pounds for 5 reps, so if its heavy for me, I scale and do a benchpress of 130 pounds.

Did I get it right?
Old 10-05-2010, 03:39 PM   #24
James White

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks for the answers.

Tell me if I got it right, scaling means using lighter weight than the standard, for example the WOD says benchpress with 180 pounds for 5 reps, so if its heavy for me, I scale and do a benchpress of 130 pounds.

Did I get it right?
Absolutely! And that's what most people do when they scale (make it easier to match their current ability)

But someone could scale it to make it harder if they so desired...
Old 10-06-2010, 08:52 AM   #25
Guy Erez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James White View Post
Absolutely! And that's what most people do when they scale (make it easier to match their current ability)

But someone could scale it to make it harder if they so desired...
Yah I thought its probably the same thing the other way around (scaling to make it harder).

Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate it, As far as I've seen the community on this board is great, keep it up.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:25 AM   #26
Carl Amolat

Profile:

You're welcome. Why not post a log in the Workout Log's board when you get started to keep us posted and to keep yourself honest and track your progress.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:34 AM   #27
Guy Erez

Profile:

Might just do that, as soon as I start the routine, I didn't train much this week, I wanted to firstly understand CFE, still got more to understand, but I know enough to start training (I think )

Thanks again!
Old 10-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #28
Carl Amolat

Profile:

Good luck my friend. Remember this - Start Slow and Scale. You have two years to work with before you go into training. You don't want to injure yourself by starting too fast or too hard.

Also this: You gain a lot from rest and recovery days. Try a 3 on/1 off followed by a 2 on/1 off cycle to ensure adequate rest or try and fit two rest days into a seven day week any way you can when you start your schedule.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:27 PM   #29
Guy Erez

Profile:

Thanks a lot dude, i'll keep that in mind.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:07 PM   #30
James A Stevens

Profile:

Quote:
Okay thanks Carl.

And thanks for the tips James, but when referring to carrying a weapon, you mean holding it for a long period of time? or generally in the huge heavy bag?

I think I will indeed, need to get used to that, since they might ask me to hold the MAG, meaning an extra 50lbs at least (unlees GPMG is a MAG), so I will surely add walking with heavy bags etc.. on my routine.

I think I might start my routine today (the tuesday workout without the run, I will put the run on thursday, just for this week).

Thanks a bunch.
With the weapon, that means carrying it like your going to use it.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!