CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-04-2010, 09:17 AM   #11
Carl Amolat

Profile:
Re: New to CF need combat-endurance emphasis

It'd be more like this (recommended):

Sunday: CFE S&C + CFE run workout (both on the same website, do the running 3+hours after the S&C)
monday: S&C
tuesday: S&C + CFE run workout
wednesday: rest
thursday: S&C
friday: Run or road (ruck march) 60-90 minutes (do not be afraid to scale ruck weight or time to your individual fitness level - there are a lot of folks here you can ask about scaling on these forums more knowledgeable than I).

Quote:
Bottom line is, are the S&C days supposed to be sometimes combined with running? maybe always? or never?

Would 2 running days be enough?
CrossFit Endurance (w/f/s) has plenty of solid recommendations with that regard. Check out the Getting Started and FAQ sections (w/f/s) for more information. Do not be afraid to start slow and steady at first - speed will come. Injury will sideline you or worse disable you. Challenge yourself but also be conservative about it. Seek out trainers (search for Israeli trainers) in CrossFit on this board to help yourself out.

This post has some practicioners from Israel (w/f/s) that you can PM or meet in person.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:20 AM   #12
Guy Erez

Profile:

Thanks a lot man, this post of the Israeli CF's might come in useful sometime.

I will try to get along with the workout style with the exercises I know and in the meantime I will look for a coach to show me the exercises.

Thanks a lot, I will take it slow and safe, get my daily routine ready, and start training hard and learning more.

So thanks a bunch dude, this is really really helpful and I really appreciate your very informative serious help.

Btw, if I may ask, are you in the army or planning to join the army?

P.S- they mentioned in the FAQ to start with like 200meters 8 times, is that like a set?, do I need to rest every 200 meters?
Cause in the WOD I saw on the running days "run 2.5 miles" as far as I can understand it means run fully 2.5 miles, not with breaks.
After progressing can I go run on longer distances? 3 miles and more? or should I go as long as 2.5 miles and just improve the speed?

And on S&C, lets say it says overhead press - 5,5,5,3,3,1,1 what does that mean? I presume each number is a set, meaning there are 7 sets, but is the weight increasing? decreasing? should it be heavy? not heavy?, its a little unclear.

Sorry for the annoying questions.

Last edited by Guy Erez; 10-04-2010 at 10:35 AM..
Old 10-04-2010, 10:37 AM   #13
Carl Amolat

Profile:

I'm presently an active duty member of the US Army.

Quote:
they mentioned in the FAQ to start with like 200meters 8 times, is that like a set?,
Yes. Rest every 200m. They'll mention the rest interval in the WOD.

Quote:
After progressing can I go run on longer distances? 3 miles and more? or should I go as long as 2.5 miles and just improve the speed?
Follow the WOD's guidance as far as distances go. I've only followed CFE for two weeks after switching from Military Athlete (disclaimer). If you're curious use the WOD board on this forum to ask questions you have of the WOD or post questions about CFE in the fitness section to help yourself out.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:26 PM   #14
Guy Erez

Profile:

Thanks a lot!

I really appreciate it.

Can you reply about the thing I edited and added about the S&C? (the one with the reps and intensity).
Old 10-04-2010, 01:24 PM   #15
Carl Amolat

Profile:

Quote:
And on S&C, lets say it says overhead press - 5,5,5,3,3,1,1 what does that mean? I presume each number is a set, meaning there are 7 sets, but is the weight increasing? decreasing? should it be heavy? not heavy?, its a little unclear.
That's easy, it should be increasing weight at a measurement you can do for 5 rep, 3 rep, and 1 rep. There are plenty of resources on the board for you to consult as well. That also means rest between each set, and it can vary depending on how heavy the weight is. You want to go into each set as fresh as you can be to prevent injury.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:33 PM   #16
Guy Erez

Profile:

Thanks a lot!

(btw, they said for all those sets if I recall correctly 180 seconds, but you said the resting period varies... but I think I can get along with that).

I Hope I will start training soon, maybe even tomorrow, and I will read some more on the forum as you advised to get some more info.

Thanks again, you've helped me a whole bunch, I said it probably more than 3-4 times, but I will say it again, I really really appreciate your help and your patience to answer my rather annoying questions.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:52 PM   #17
Carl Amolat

Profile:

Do the recommended rest period for those lifts, or even more if you feel really beat up. They call it scaling for a reason, many injuries could easily have been avoided if the participant scaled his workout properly.

And no prob on the questions. That's the nice thing about this community as a whole, most people are patient with newbie questions. God knows I've asked enough of them...
Old 10-04-2010, 08:12 PM   #18
James A Stevens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
WOD + maybe a little extra strength work + get used to hiking with a pack and flak jacket..
oh and of course welcome!

I can telly you, definitely need to get used to humping with a pack and flak jacket as we in the military love to make you carry every fricken piece of crap we can find and then some! So being able to walk fast with weight is a requirement.

My number two tip is get used to carry heavy stuff, like rifles and GPMGs etc. So think about getting some of those cool (yes the cool comment is sarcasm) plastic covered 25lb dumbbells (or 1 pood kettlebell) to schlep around the place as well.

I have noticed over the years that a lot of newbies actually have a lot of trouble getting used to carrying weapons (they are after a weighted object added to your kit, like a helmet).
Old 10-05-2010, 07:53 AM   #19
Guy Erez

Profile:

Okay thanks Carl.

And thanks for the tips James, but when referring to carrying a weapon, you mean holding it for a long period of time? or generally in the huge heavy bag?

I think I will indeed, need to get used to that, since they might ask me to hold the MAG, meaning an extra 50lbs at least (unlees GPMG is a MAG), so I will surely add walking with heavy bags etc.. on my routine.

I think I might start my routine today (the tuesday workout without the run, I will put the run on thursday, just for this week).

Thanks a bunch.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:32 AM   #20
Guy Erez

Profile:

For some reason I don't see the editing button, so I will write it here:

I see you guys mention the word "scale" a lot, do you refer to taking things slowly and make the workouts harder overtime? for example scaling a bench press would be to start with 5 reps for some weight, then going for 8 reps, then for 10?

Thanks.