CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #1
Micheline Grondin

Profile:
Red face Motivation

Hi All,

I've been doing Crossfit workouts at my gym for about 2 months now. At first it was amazing, I saw results immediately and felt great- all I thought about was Crossfit Crossfit Crossfit!

But then a few things happened that caused me to lose motivation... The first is that I have a spinal disease called Ankylosing Spondylitis. Needless to say, the pain in my back can take my motivation and turn it into anguishing pain pretty quickly. The second is that I currently work out in an all-women's gym that SUPREMELY sucks. Crossfit Squamish is totally at capacity and not offering foundations until they have some more room.Read: http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf...yes_chicks.pdf and you have my gym mapped out to a tee. The "trainers" are underqualified and completely useless, I am not allowed to do wall balls, the weights are set up in a corner of the second floor LOFT of the building, crowded with other equipment and therefore almost impossible to use, and I get sideways looks from other clients when doing any type of WOD that involves rounds (ie using the rower for 500m then doing something else and coming back to it)... the list goes on. After being hassled by staff and clients for my "different" use of the equipment, I started feeling like going to the gym was a huge chore. I missed a day, then two... then weeks went by. I've been back in the last few days because I want to succeed SO bad, but that spark I felt at first is gone.

So I guess what I'm asking is: in a challenging situation, how do you guys stay motivated?! Do you benefit from daily posts (ie workout log) or do you have someone you talk to about your workouts all the time or... what? Any suggestions are appreciated! I really want to stick with it but I just can't back into it the way I was before.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:05 PM   #2
Larry Hotchkiss

Profile:
Re: Motivation

Posting a log helps. Being part of an online community such as this can help. Working out with friends can help a lot and one reason joining a good box can be such a powerful motivator for many.

Immersing yourself in something can keep it fresh in mind and help keep you motivated as well. Reading books, or the CF journal, various affiliate blogs etc can also be a big help.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 10-12-2010, 06:53 PM   #3
Milton Brisson

Profile:

Hey Michelle, the best advice I can offer, is to make the system work for you.

When you say "second floor loft of your women's only gym", it sounds like you are refering to a Goodlife fitness set-up....if this is the case, then your membership is valid at any Goodlife gym nation-wide. I would suggest that you try to find a co-ed branch and do your WoD's there. I think if guys (or male trainers) saw you attack the work with "Crossfit intensity", I think they would leave you to do your thing. If its not Goodlife you go to, then disregard the first paragraph....sorry!

If you get hassled for things like wall-balls and rounds on the rower - I would suggest that you scope out the slowest time of the gym and go then if you can make it. If there is no one there to bother...if wall-balls are a definate no-no there, I would just replace them with thrusters. I would ask, is the rower at your gym a popular piece of equipment? I never see the ones at my gym being used....

Anyway - stick with it! I hope that your back holds up for you! Good luck...

I think there is a "Girl Power" board here somewhere, I assume you could get much more relevant advice there than I can give you!
Old 10-12-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
Ted Apollo

Profile:

workout log is definitely a thing to keep you motivated.

i would also suggest getting a stand alone pull up bar/ dip station & workout at home. why pay for a non functional workout facility?
Old 10-12-2010, 07:41 PM   #5
Micheline Grondin

Profile:

Thanks for all the replies!

I will definitely keep a workout log. I had one before but... as I said, motivation went down the drain.

Milton- my gym is just a generic women's gym offered in my town, not a chain. My membership is up in January and I'm either going to join the Crossfit gym (if they have room by then) or do as you suggested and join a different co-ed gym.

I have replaced wall balls with thrusters because I've been told to ABSOLUTELY NEVER throw a medicine ball at a wall. Which is ok I guess, but I love wall balls and hate thrusters! Go figure
Old 10-13-2010, 05:59 AM   #6
Meghan Reid

Profile:

When I worked at a Globo I was forced to go on a crusade against people doing wall balls. Not because it would damage the walls per se, but it would leave black marks and the owner hated it.

Sucks, honestly.

Are you actually told by staff that you can't do things like row, leave the rower, come back, leave again, come back? This is kind of a universal hassling issue and it may require talking to the people around you and just saying "heads up, I'm gonna be using the rower for about 15 minutes, is that cool?"

Of course you'll be better off at an affiliate, but it might behoove you to pick up some stuff to make a rudimentary home gym to get you through until the affiliate is available. You can do a lot with a jump rope, a medicine ball, a pullup bar, and some bumper plates, ya know?

Good luck. And come hang out in the Girl Power thread.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:51 AM   #7
Micheline Grondin

Profile:

Thanks Meghan. Yeah- I guess that's the reason for no wall balls. But I've really tried to be courteous to the other members by doing just what you suggested and sometimes they're ok, sometimes I get hassled. I'm moving next month and planning to get a few more things to work out at home (I currently have a jump rope, medicine ball, and barbells) but ultimately I'm dying to join the affiliate :P Especially since my boyfriend and his dad both work out there too.

Once again, thanks for the advice

Where's the girl power thread? I'm going to search for it right now...
Old 10-13-2010, 08:00 AM   #8
Shannon Mullens

Profile:

Mah belle.... the Girl Power thread is here: http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...23010&page=424 (clearly WFS), come join us!

As for motivation, particularly with pain - I have fibromyalgia, which can result in exhaustion and almost constant pain if I don't manage my life correctly. Mostly I have long conversations with myself, that go something like this:

"Just 5 sets more, you can totally do this. Don't wimp out, you freaking pansy. You can do this. It's just a little pain. A little pain today prevents a lot of pain tomorrow. Suck it up. No, you can do this. What, you want to go to the doctor in 2 weeks and think you haven't been trying as hard as you can to be healthy? Keep going, it's just another 4 sets. You've GOT this. Your friends break an ankle and duct it up, you can keep going through a little pain...."

It's almost constant. When I work out with a personal trainer, he rarely says anything to encourage and keep me going, it's mostly just form corrections and nothing more, because I have this litany of things going on in my head. But that's how I manage, particularly when I'm dealing with pain.

Keep active on these boards here, hit us up in the Girl Power thread, and good to see you!
Old 10-13-2010, 10:42 AM   #9
Micheline Grondin

Profile:

Thanks so much Shannon- good to know I'm not the only one here dealing with chronic pain. I've found that most Crossfitters (or, at least the ones who post) are dealing with minor injuries etc. rather that something that potentially hurts ALL the time FOREVER! lol.

As far as motivating myself during a workout, I have no problem. Much like you, I have an internal monologue that never stops. It's great while I'm at the gym! But when I'm at home feeling crappy... it is nowhere to be found.

The next step in my search for motivation will be a Workout Log, as well as posting in the Girl Power thread (of course!).

Old 10-13-2010, 11:09 AM   #10
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheline Grondin View Post
Thanks so much Shannon- good to know I'm not the only one here dealing with chronic pain. I've found that most Crossfitters (or, at least the ones who post) are dealing with minor injuries etc. rather that something that potentially hurts ALL the time FOREVER! lol.
You've got the wrong idea girl, there are crossfitters of all types, not just the ones who start out fit! Don't feel like you are on the outside looking in, the community has something for everyone. I reccommend to you Stephy Full of Grace, her story is some serious motivation! http://stephyfullofgrace.tumblr.com/aboutstephy (wfs)