CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-18-2005, 08:22 AM   #1
Grant Dumas

Profile:  
Don't get me wrong, but pullups and their variations are a great exercise, but why such an emphasis on them? Why are we not emphasising dips as much? Why not emphasis both equally during the weeks?
Old 07-18-2005, 09:21 AM   #2
Stephen Thrasher

Profile:  
There's a decent balance between upper-body pulling and pushing exercises. Maybe there are fewer good pulling exercises? Off the top of my head--

Push: dips, ring dips, overhead/push/jerk presses, handstand pushups, pushups, muscle-ups, thrusters, wall ball.

Pull: pull-ups, muscle-ups, rope climbs, oly lifts (the shrug part).
Old 07-18-2005, 09:29 AM   #3
Stephen Thrasher

Profile:  
Also, you can supplement or modify. I'm doing extra ring dips on the road to a first muscle-up.

And I forgot bench press.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:04 AM   #4
Brendan Melville

Profile:
Isn't your back a bigger more used muscle than your smaller chest muscles?
Old 07-18-2005, 12:04 PM   #5
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
The ability to pull yourself up is basic and vital to many sports and combat situations, it is also a foundational skill for gymnastics. The back is also greatly ignored by most training programs and hit with weak exercises like 1 arm dumbbell rows, cable rows, etc. Also the back is usually prioritized last within a training week for most bodybuilding programs (which most of us have used for years), with chest coming in first: Monday morning is bench press day, always. So most of us come to Crossfit with weak backs and sometimes imbalances between back strength and chest strength...creating performance and posture problems. Pull-ups fix all of the above problems, help your gymnastics, O-lifts, powerlifts, and balance your body, plus it freaks people out when you could do more than 1 pull-up, not to mention 40.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:12 PM   #6
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Exercises.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:29 AM   #7
Ted Williams

Profile:
What's funny now that I've been doing these workouts for a couple months or so...I find that I want to pull up on stuff all the time...like a kid looking to climb stuff. Its like my body is saying "hey, you can do this stuff easier now, why not see if you can climb on that tree?". I did that this weekend when shopping with the wife...there was a pull up bar sitting outside a "Curves" or something...I jumped up to do some pullups, without even really thinking. It would have been cool, except that it was almost 100 degrees out and the bar was out in the sun...HOT!

Old 07-19-2005, 05:36 PM   #8
Brad Smith

Profile:
Ted,

I'm the same way. I want to pull up on stuff all the time. Since I could never do this when I was a kid, I dig the s%&t out of it now that I'm 51! I've done it at work walking through metal bldgs and on vacation just because there was something handy... and to show my son up! ;-}
Old 07-20-2005, 08:16 AM   #9
Brendan Melville

Profile:
Haha, I was waiting for the elevator yesterday and there was a notchy thing in the wall, so I tried a little climbing (I too love to climb just about anything, trees are a favorite though), and a guy walking by said, "Whoa, you'll pull this whole place down!" Heh.