CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-16-2009, 06:17 AM   #1
David Ballard

Profile:
Type of Mat

Hi, I've read my stuff on Crossfit and now I want opinions if a 4 x 8 mat would be ok for my purposes versus a 4 x 6. I'm on a tight budget and can only afford to buy one, one time. My purposes for the mat are to provide a cushion to do abs and stretches on and for a "platform" ,if you will, to do olympic lifting (I have bumpers). I've been performing these exercises on a concrete floor in my garage and I want to reduce the stress on my knees. First, is it ok to clean and snatch on this rubber matt? I assume it is. I know you can build a platform, which would be preferable for relatively cheap but I don't have the money, time or craftsmanship skills to do that. Besides, I don't want to cut the matt I invest in as I want a soft surface to stretch and do ab work and some plyos. Second, is it ok to get a 4 x 8 instead of 4 x 6. I know 4 x 6 is recommended, particularly if you cover your whole garage, but I want ample width to do the olympic lifts and I'm over 6' tall (6'4") and I don't want to hang off while I'm doing ground work. Next, I have come to the assumption by reading the boards that I should get 3/4 thickness as opposed to 1/2. If anyone wants to plead a case that 1/2 would be ok for my purposes I'm willing to listen and would love to save a few bucks. Finally, I know it will be different from one place to another but could someone give me an estimation of what a 4 x 8 x 3/4 matt would cost? I would greatly appreciate some help in these matters.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:24 AM   #2
Noah Martin

Profile:
Re: Type of Mat

I dont really understand?
I have a 4X6 rubber mat from a tractor supply store in my garage. Bigger would be better in my opinion.

I prefer my weights to drop on the mat then my garage floor.

I plan to buy more but will only buy them when they go on sale.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:00 AM   #3
Shaun Tieman

Profile:

For our box we went with 4x6 and 3/4 inch thick. We found a great deal at a tractor supply store and they are perfect. Usually a 4x6 and 3/4 inch cost about 40$ per sheet. and a 4x8 will run you about 50-60. If you are interested in buying more you should check around ALOT, I looked for weeks, literally, before I found our deal. We got our 4x6 mats for 25$ per mat- and they are NOT they cheapos, they work perfect. I would reccomend the 3/4 inch thick, 1/4 more doesnt sound like much but after heavy use over a prolonged period of time the thinner mat will wear down. This goes for all equipment you purchase. If you are a serious CrossFitter and plan on sticking with it, save some money up and get the good stuff! no sense in skimping and then having to go out and buy the better stuff later on because the cheap crap fell apart on you. I suggest Rogue Gear for the equipment, its all solid and high quality made in USA. Sorry to ramble on. Do your research and check every option available.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:24 PM   #4
Andre Urquiza

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Tieman View Post
I suggest Rogue Gear for the equipment, its all solid and high quality made in USA
+1 That's where I got my CF setup and the 4x6 tractor supply mats work great. I have a station setup with 4 mats covering my cage and lifting area.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:55 PM   #5
Keith Miller

Profile:

Keep in mind a few things:
The mat is not that soft, the rubber is pretty dense
If you're only getting one mat, I would get a 4X8, but remember that mat won't provide much space if you're going to do the lifts on it. 4' from front to back is not much room unless you don't plan on missing or running forward.

My advice would be to get 2 ea of the 4x6 mats and make a 6x8 area to lift on, then get a yoga mat or something for your ground work. This would set you back about $100 total and give you more room for the lifts and a softer area for your ground work.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:38 PM   #6
David Ballard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Miller View Post
4' from front to back is not much room unless you don't plan on missing or running forward.
That's a great point that I didn't consider.