CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-16-2007, 06:27 AM   #1
Todd Luebke

Profile:
I've discovered after doing Crossfit for the last 2-3 months that my lower back isn't quite ready to go to the next level. I'd like to strengthen that area before ramping up.

What are the best exercises for strengthening/conditioning the lower back?
My short list has supermans/back extensions.
?????
Old 03-16-2007, 07:18 AM   #2
Samantha Preuninger

Profile:
I would also add good mornings.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:22 AM   #3
Joe Celso

Profile:
short answer: deadlift

longer answer: i'm not exactly sure what you mean by "the next level" but whatever it is, i think i'm safe in saying priority # 1 is FORM. from what i've seen, more often than not, an athlete's lower back is plenty strong - often even stronger than necessary - but thier backs get tired or fail because they don't KNOW HOW to stablilize the torso and load the hip. make sure you know the difference between loading/using your hip -vs- your back... (i like to use different movements on the GHD to illustrate) then you'll develop the necessary strength simply by performing CF movements with flawless form at appropriate loads.
a proplerly executed deadlift is probably the best low back "non"-movement. i'd throw an OHS in there too... body rows (you're a plank!) could help too.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:07 PM   #4
Todd Luebke

Profile:
By the next level I mean more weight, increased reps, more complex moves. I don't have access to a personal trainer, where can I find more info on torso stabilization and hip loading?

At 43y.o. I've found that if I don't exercise on a regular basis all kinds of aches & pains creep in.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:52 PM   #5
Joe Celso

Profile:
what opened my eyes were the CFJ articles about "muted hip function" (Jan '03) and "anatomy and physiology for jocks" (Aug '03). i also found rip's "rather long analysis of the deadlift" (Nov '06) to be priceless.

without getting to a CF seminar, i think those are your best resources... i don't really trust anyone outside of this community as i've seen too much bad information disseminated elsewhere.

get the form/movements right at the lightest loads (broomstick) and gradually work your way up (practice a lot). force proper technique and the gains will come with surprising quickness.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:36 AM   #6
Todd Luebke

Profile:
Thanks Joe - I think I'll start with some body weight only exercises and at the same time work on technique as you suggest I do know the my shoulder flexibilty needs work as I can't get my arms behind my head in the OHS as I see in the pictures.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:15 PM   #7
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Be sure to do some KB or DB swings, claans and snatches as well as the Romanian DL, overhead and front squats. Don't think of it as simply back strengthening but rather core strengthening. With that in mind work your abs as well.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:49 PM   #8
Michael Stehle

Profile:
I second Kb swings and snatches, some of my favorite moves.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:53 AM   #9
Isaac Wilkins

Profile:
A lot of mobility-type exercises also help with the posterior chain. Although they may not directly target the musculature, a lot of the issues that creep up (especially as performers age a tad) can be the result of faulty motor patterns and other imbalances.

Warming up with some glute bridges, lunges, reverse lunges, turkish get-ups, KB swings/snatches, 1-arm barbell snatches, and hang power cleans can all work towards strengthening these areas or improving their coordination.

To build up pure PC strength look towards pull-throughs, glute-ham raises, Dimel deadlifts, and Good Mornings.