CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-28-2010, 06:29 PM   #1
Elizabeth Hall

Profile:
AC joint and possible distal clavicle resection

Saw the Ortho yesterday and what I thought was bicep tendonitis is evidently a problem with inflammation of my AC joint. The Ortho did a ton of ROM tests, I passed all but one. I actually thought I had good strength all around, evidently not. Also, when the Ortho moved my arm in certain directions it causes my pinky, ring finger and elbow to go numb. No pain though, but I've laid off any OH moves for 2 weeks. I have an MRI and Bone Scan scheduled for next week. She said if they see inflammation they will most likely want to proceed with a DCR. Does this seem consistant or could I possible have a tear as well?
Old 08-28-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
Mike Mallory

Profile:
Re: AC joint and possible distal clavicle resection

yeah if you have inflammation in any joint, always best to just cut it off and start fresh
Old 08-29-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
Elizabeth Hall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mallory View Post
yeah if you have inflammation in any joint, always best to just cut it off and start fresh
Obviously you don't like this..haha. What do you suggest?
Old 08-29-2010, 05:24 PM   #4
Deb Weber

Profile:

Sorry to hear that.

I had it done six years ago. I think its to make space so the tendons dont get inflamed. They might not see tears on an MRI or whatever but if they do the surgery they'd look for them & scar tissue (& repair if needed.)

In my case, I had arthritis on end of the collarbone. The way it was explained to me was, arthritis causes bone changes (spurs?) and that causes inflammation when the tendons have to move past it because they keep catching on the spur. When I fell on an outstretched arm playing baseball, a tiny little piece of bonespur was broken off or dislodged. They got rid of that and made more room, saw no tears, got rid of scar tissue on the subscap.

Anyway I loved the surgery - an hour later I was fine, no pain. That shoulder's fine (but I have the same arthritis in the other shoulder now so I have to be careful).

Good luck!
Old 08-29-2010, 06:50 PM   #5
Elizabeth Hall

Profile:

Thanks Deb
Old 09-08-2010, 05:52 AM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Depends what you ACTUALLY have... after the MRI and bone scan.

I'm not too big a fan of surgery either though. if it's just bad AC joint aggravation stemming into arthritis... I'd go with lots of fish oil + right eating + RC work at first.

Basically let everything calm down... then work on stabilizing AC joint. Pretty much the same thing you would do for any of the AC joint sprain/tears.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
Ryan Brett

Profile:

So, here's my story.

I hurt my should back in March and have been dealing with it for some time. I tried to let it heal on it's own, which helped. Although, the healing kind of leveled off after a while, so I went back to my doctor. After dicussing my options with him, he gave me a cortison/steriod shot. This worked for about a month and a half. After it started hurting again, I laid off working out altogether.

After a while of insignificant healing, I went to a different doctor to get another opinion. I went through the same motions there. Manual tests and x-rays. No shot this time as they are typically ineffective and are considered just a bandaide. So, he sent me to get an MRI. This revealed that I had no other problems other than what's called distal clavicle osteolysis.

I'll have a surgery to remove spurs on the end of my clavicle to make my ac joint have more room to do what ti does best. I have the surgery next week on the 10th. in and out. 45 minutes.

My injury was caused by poor form on a clean and jerk exercise. My opinion was too much weight for high reps, which caused bad form. I'll be adjusting my overhead movements after I get back from this. 10 months off really sucks. Don't want to do that again.