CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-04-2008, 04:42 PM   #1
James Santschi

Profile:
Sand Bag Advice Please

I have started to do crossfit however don't have the money yet to by Olympic bars and bumper plates. So I have decided that for the time being I would use sandbags for the Olympic lifts. I know lifting sandbags isn't the same as Olympic however does anyone have advice how to scale the WODS to fit a sandbag protocol? Some advice I am looking for is how to do each of the Olympic lifts with the sandbag.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
Daniel Gilliam

Profile:
Re: Sand Bag Advice Please

You can see some videos here: (WFS) http://www.performancemenu.com/resou...on&sectionID=5

I do the WOD with 50lb Sandbags because I don't have regular access to oly weights, and I like the "real world" applications that sandbags have (balance & gripping issues, odd shapes, etc)
Old 04-04-2008, 08:19 PM   #3
Ellis King

Profile:

Check out the workouts over at Catalyst Athletics. Starting on March 24th, they have been posting metcon workouts featuring sandbags.
(w/f/s)
http://www.cathletics.com/daily/inde...onthname=March

Article on sandbag cleans (w/f/s):
http://www.cathletics.com/shorties/i...ty&shortyID=30

There are a lot of movements you can do with a sandbag, but not too many standard Crossfit benchmarks you can do without some form of adjustment. "Grace" is a good one, "Fran" is excellent. Or you can do a version of "the Bear". My recommendation would be to try these workouts, start low on weight and build up. You may never reach as RX'ed weight, but you will still make tremendous gains in your fitness. With extremely cheap equipment!

For reference, today I did an austere Fran: 65 lb sand bag, and kipping pull-ups on a towel. Tomorrow, I'll do the 4 x 800s from a few days ago, and finish up with a 15 minute 75 lb "Sandbag Schlep" for distance. Earlier in the week, I did Fight Gone Bad using 75 lb sandbag for the SDHP and for the push-press, and a basketball filled w/sand.

(Make sure to check the Bag of Grace video on the main site. And Eva T's "Austere Situation".)

Good times.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:08 PM   #4
James Santschi

Profile:

Thanks for the sites they look great.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:07 AM   #5
Sam Streck

Profile:

Take a look at my youtube page. I have some videos up showing front squats, back rows (poor form though) and deadlifts http://www.youtube.com/user/iamkion132 (SFW/S/H). I'm going to be updating with more videos of things like overhead presses, bench press etc. I'm not doing crossfit myself, although I like this website for some of the information that I get. If you have any questions about things, I can provide plenty of links etc.