CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-23-2008, 06:30 PM   #1
Michael Herzog

Profile:
Wing Chun Anyone?

Hello All. I am hoping to return to the crossfit lifestyle after a long, unexcusable, layoff.

During the period of my layoff, I discovered Wing Chun kung fu. I was fortunate to be able to train consistently under a very capable instructor. However, during the time of my Wing Chun training, I essentially stopped all strength training, at the strong recommendation of my instructors.

"Softness" and tactile sensitivity are critical for successful wing chun. The prevailing opinion seems to be that general strength training requires sacrifices in these areas.

I'm wondering if there are any Wing Chun practicioners who are also crossfitters. If so, what is your experience with this phenomenon, both in the short term and long term? Finally, do you have any recommendations for simultaneously achieving elite fitness and excellent wing chun?

Thanks
-m
Old 01-23-2008, 06:50 PM   #2
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Re: Wing Chun Anyone?

Would a great deal of stretching aid in keeping the relaxed stance?
Old 01-23-2008, 08:24 PM   #3
Skylar Cook

Profile:

I know absolutely nothing about Wing Chun, but some highly specialized physical skills are mutually exclusive (e.g., a marathon runner is better at marathons than a CFer because we have "unnecessary" mass in our upper bodies that is unneeded for long, slow runs).

That's all I got.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:46 PM   #4
Michael Bruce Mailman

Profile:

Hi mate,

I also know nothing about Wing Chun, except that it looks kind of cool!

However, martial arts such as judo and BJJ require sensitivity to your opponents movements, and they are also sports where strength can be very advantageous.

While, once again, I know nothing about Wing Chun, I can't see any reason why you couldn't also strength train.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:50 PM   #5
Becca Borawski

Profile:

My gut reaction to that is, that's an easy way for someone to excuse their lack of strength and conditioning.

I did Wing Chun for about a year, a few years back. I've done a bunch of other martial arts where "sensitivity" and "softness" was required as well. You can be strong as hell and still have sensitivity. It's a mental thing. It has to do with your awareness, your openness, and your ability to relax and sense things. Someone who's an aggressive athlete might find that difficult, but it's certainly not impossible or mutually exclusive.

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 01-24-2008, 01:20 AM   #6
Will Parker

Profile:

I agree with becca; I just stopped Wing chun because of SS and I want to focus on that. But there sure as hell were some strong people in my class and avid gym goers. I definatly would think that if anything it would help because you are more aware of your body when you weightlift because you sense your form and stuff like that ( can't remember what thats called though).
Old 01-24-2008, 04:45 AM   #7
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Also know nothing about Wing Chun personaly. However, I did meet a guy who was an assistant Wing Chun instructor. We talked for about an hour about Wing Chun and various martial arts. Really cool dude. Anyways the point of the story is that I met and talked to him at my local Gym...lifting weights. So whatever you want to take from that.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:36 AM   #8
Paul Epstein

Profile:

If you lack strength then technique and form comes more naturally because you need to develope it in order to keep up.

if your strong then you can hide a multitide of sins when it comes to form and technique by using brute strength.

lack of form will eventually catch up with you. I dont think its impossible to learn internal martial arts when your very strong as long as you are very disciplined in your training.

I think most crossfitters seem very disciplined in their aproach to training.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:56 AM   #9
David Stout

Profile:

Quote:
My gut reaction to that is, that's an easy way for someone to excuse their lack of strength and conditioning.
I 100% completely AGREE with Becca's assessment.

Having over a decade of experience in martial arts, which includes exposure to WT/VT/WC concepts I don't think CrossFitting would interfere with your training.

David
CF Chattanooga
Old 01-24-2008, 05:59 AM   #10
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Wing Chun is cool if you have a good instructor. I did some Hung Gar, and some guys I trained with did Wing Chun. Everything Becca said was correct; you can practice a soft style and be strong as hell (it helps). In fact, there are many hard techniques within Wing Chun. Whatever the case, it's not necessary to be a p**** to practice a soft style of martial arts.

Many traditional martial arts look at strength training the way sports did a few years ago in assuming that you will become muscle-bound and not able to move. BS. Strength and fitness will only enhance your technique.