CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-09-2007, 01:25 PM   #1
Andy Wagner

Profile:
Osgood-Schlatter Disease

I am creating this post to help anyone with diagnosing a certain type of knee problem. For the past ten years I have had a bump below my knee cap on my left leg. It never really bothered me until the last six months. This past Monday, I went to an orthopedic surgeon to diagnose the problem. He took some X-Rays and stated it was Osgood-Schlatter Disease, probably from my teenage years eventhough I never had a bump back then. At age 43, two of the small bones below my knee cap had never fused together and are now pulling at the tendon connected to the knee cap. The doctor recommended surgery to remove the bones since it will only get worse. He also wants me to stop any leg work, including running, until after the surgery, and, of course, the healing time after the surgery. This is simply informational since I already know the problem and the cure. I hope this helps anyone else.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Re: Osgood-Schlatter Disease

Andy I dont know about the bump thing but my son (who just had the most adorable baby--see side bar--10 days ago) was also diagnosed with Osgood Schlatters when he was a young teen. It severely limited his basketball time! No one ever mentioned surgery then. He was actually told he would outgrow it and not to worry. Maybe get a second opinion.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:55 PM   #3
Ari Sherwood

Profile:

I was diagnosed with O-S at the age of 14, and though I still have the bump on the tibial tuberosity 22 years later, I no longer have the pain. I have heard of adults needing excision surgery from O-S, so this doesn't sound so unusual.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:11 PM   #4
Dennis Marshall

Profile:

Andy,
I was diagnosed with OS when I was 13-14. I am now 29 and still have the distinguishable bumps (quite large ones in fact) but my knees don't give me any problems. They are sensitive to the touch a bit (hurt like hell if I bang them on something) and stiffen up if I crouch down for a while but other than that I experience no ill effects. I have been squatting, deadlifting, Oly lifting since I was about 14-15 and CF'ing for 1 year in addition to being active my whole life so they've been through their fair share of wear and tear. I do not feel like my knees have gotten any worse with age nor has it ever been suggested to me that I should consider surgery. I would consider getting a second opinion.

Just my $.02.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:44 PM   #5
Jonathan Rich

Profile:

I was diagnosed with OS when I was 12. I evidently didn't have it very bad. It mainly only hurt when I ran or jumped, and the pain from activity went away within a year. Another guy I was in school with at the time had it so bad he had to get casts on both legs to "fix it". I guess there is a wide range of how bad it can be.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:45 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

I still have the bumps from about age 13. I aggravated the tendon/ligament like 4 weeks ago, and have been out of commission as far as bending my leg much goes. It's gotten better but I still can't do an air squat which totally sucks.

Do you have the X-rays and can you look at them? If the tendon is still pulling away from the tibial tuberosity it should heal by itself.. although that's kind of weird. I've never had anyone recommend surgery for it though.. heh.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:41 AM   #7
Andy Wagner

Profile:

I am sorry I did have not replied to my original post until now.

Sarena

From my understanding about Osgood-Schlatter Disease and teenagers is that the bones will "fuse" together by the time they are adults and will it will not become a problem.

Dennis

I have had a noticeable bump for about the past 10 years. I never had any problems with it, except when I bumped it, until recently (the past six months). I am not sure what triggered it but when I do squats, particularly back squats and overhead squats, the pain is quite severe. It actually feels like the bone(s) are pushing through my skin. Very painful. I have been lifting and performing squats since I was 15 and I am now 43 years old. I started following Crossfit in July of 2004. Since the recovery time is only about 1 month and I will only miss a day and a half of work (the surgery is scheduled Thursday, December 12, in the pm), I am going along with it. I will be able return to work on Monday, drive, shower, walk up and down steps. The doctor stated that I will only need a brace and will not need crutches.

Steve
I looked at the X-Rays. The doctor showed me the two small bones that never fused together. I was quite visible to the point where I, someone with out medical training, could see it.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:59 PM   #8
Dennis Marshall

Profile:

Best of luck Andy for a speedy recovery and performing Linda as rx'd asap!
Old 11-14-2007, 08:12 PM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

That sucks. I hope mine healed too :\
Old 11-15-2007, 05:27 AM   #10
Andy Wagner

Profile:

Thanks everyone!

Since it is outpatient surgery and I will only need a brace for a month on my knee, and being a desk jockey, I will be returning to work the Monday (12/10) following surgery on Thursday (12/6).