CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-19-2004, 04:46 AM   #1
Stuart Proudlock

Profile:

A couple of days ago I made a new sand bag using an old (tough and good quality) hiking back pack. I bought two bags of gravel and just dropped them into the pack. It works great and took two minutes to 'make'. I left the gravel in its plastic bags and have room for some spare weights so I can do the low rep lift WODs like dead lifts. The straps mean that I can pick it up in different ways and I can wear it and do stair climbs. Great piece of kit for an apartment dweller and it cost me about $5!

I am using this bag and a 60lb bag as subs for olympic lifts.

Anyone see any reason why I shouldn't wear it as a back pack to do back squats? Would I do better to hold it across the shoulders?

Cheers

Stuart
Old 11-19-2004, 05:54 AM   #2
Donald Woodson

Profile:

Stuart, great exercise! I use an old army backpack for trail running and hill scrambling, except I usually just run down into the creek bottom and throw some rocks into it. Then when I get too tired, I just dump them out.
I guess you could do squats that way, but I don't, (I have a bar and plates). It will change the movement/geometry some, but that's OK. Crossfit is all about frequent change and variety. Just be real careful with your back, and make sure you use abdominal pressure during the lifts (per resident guru Dave Werner). It's not hard at all to screw your back up (first hand experience).
You can also hold it in front of you to simulate front squats. Get another backpack, fill it up just like the first one and do thrusters with both of them. Back packs are great. You can design your whole workout around them. Per Dan John (a real expert): The more ways you can practice real life funtional lifts, the better off you will be.
And don't pay any attention to my "advanced" status. I'm not near as advanced as most of these folks. I just flap my jaw a lot. I learn something new every time I visit.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:02 AM   #3
Stuart Proudlock

Profile:

Donald,

Thanks for the comments - for something so simple to make I was particularly pleased with myself.

I will check about the abdominal pressure as using any sort of weights is very new to me.

Stuart
Old 11-19-2004, 08:14 AM   #4
Donald Woodson

Profile:

OK, I'm very glad you said you are new to weight training.
Then I'll double the stress on the abdominal pressure. Everything you do athletically, should start with your abs. Running, jumping, rolling, lifting, pulling, pushing etc. should all start with ab pressure to give your back muscles and vertebrae equilibrium and support. It all has to work together.
Another great one you can do is burpees with your ruck sack. Just like squat thrusts, but you squat down and thrust while holding your sack, then when you return to verticle, you thrust the sack up, (outside you can toss it up). I do that one with a basketball full of sand. You can use just about anything, rocks, logs, sand bags, annoying neighbors...
Old 11-22-2004, 06:08 AM   #5
Stuart Proudlock

Profile:

Donald,

thanks for the comments - will try burpees with my medicine ball first and work up.

Cheers

Stuart
Old 05-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
Justin Rovtar

Profile:
Re: Back Pack Sand Bag for squats

You should check out this training tool that is actually a training sandbag with integrated backpack. You can use it for strength and power movments and wear it like a weight vest for resisted pull-ups, resisted Push-ups, resisted dips, etc.

thewarbag . com
Old 05-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

8 year old thread..

Old 05-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
Erik Glynn

Profile:

Back from the dead!