CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 01-15-2007, 01:30 PM   #21
Michael Manseau

Profile:
Back to Chapters I go unless the cheap tobacco/magazine stores at the mall carry it. Thanks for the page #'s Becca.
Now to check if my satellite provider has MSNBC
Old 01-15-2007, 03:43 PM   #22
Garry Berryhill

Profile:
Who was the mouthbreathing trainer who put that 19-year-old in the ring? That's the most moronic thing I've heard today...
Old 01-15-2007, 04:01 PM   #23
Peter Queen

Profile:
Wow Garry don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.:happy:

I know that on the surface it might look and sound a bit brutish but all I can say is this, and I am speaking for myself only, but 19 year olds especially girls needs to know how to fight also. Looking at how they immediately stopped the fight between Uriah and Enoch right away after a cut over Enoch's left eye, I think there are a lot more safety precautions in place than at the UFC or Pride level. I'm not a blood thirsty cave dweller but it still all falls under good self defense training. And let's not forget, at 19, they are adults.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:49 AM   #24
Garry Berryhill

Profile:
Screw "learning experience". There are a lot of ways to learn your sport without getting tossed in the ring to get KTFO'd.

In the short time I've been around boxing I've met guys in their 30s with shaking hands and slurred speech, guys who took a few too many headshots over the years. Every single shot you take to the head does irreparable harm and they can add up fast while you're not looking. It's a hurting business; you have to be doubly careful.

If you're tossing a teenager who can't even hit the pads correctly into the ring with an opponent (read: someone who means to harm her), you need to re-examine your methods.

I don't care if that dude's half-caf-double-mocha-supa-doopa-paratroopa-monkey-guard instruction is the best on nine continents; that's bad training.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:42 AM   #25
Aidan O Brien

Profile:
Actually, I gotta say that sometimes when it comes to "would I prefer to live in the States or in Ireland", because of the MMA scene you guys have over there the States very nearly wins at times. Over here we have two very small promotions ( although thankfully England based Cage Rage will be putting on some of it's Contenders show over here soon ) and rumours abound of a UFC show taking place in Belfast. However, when it comes to TV coverage it's really not the best. We do get free UFC's about 12 hours behind the event occuring, and we get free Pride as well a few days after but that’s about it.

No documentaries, no human interest shows, very few publications etc. Such a shame. Fortunately the scene here has some very strong people working in it to strengthen it, and we have some very, very good fighters. One of two might even make the world stage!
Old 01-16-2007, 07:34 AM   #26
Peter Queen

Profile:
"Screw "learning experience". There are a lot of ways to learn your sport without getting tossed in the ring to get KTFO'd."

OK Garry, now that you got that off your chest, permit me to respond. First of all, I will agree with you that it is critically imperative to have as much prep/training as possible before going up against any opponent. Perhaps, Brittany’s coach may not have adequately prepared her, who’s to say. She took a bad hit, it happens unfortunately. I can’t speak for the methods and decisions that go into and govern the rhythm of the televised MMA cage world but, like everything else that had a beginning; there is still the growth factor involved. Hopefully, in the near future the concerns that you are voicing will become a common concern, if they aren’t already, and will be addressed much more closely as the sport continues to evolve. And as Aidan pointed out, TV coverage can be skewed at times. Of course this is done to generate high ratings anyway. But I still feel that, and I am speaking from a limited scope as far as the TV world is concerned, that safety precautions are inserted and will continue to increase as time goes on.
Who knows, maybe they will increase the starting age range to 21 with 1 year of pre-training as a requirement. Just my HO and 2c.

Look at it this way, this is as close to "real world training" as you can get for learning to face your fears and overcome your own barriers. So that you won't panic and wet your pants when face with an actual scenario.
Again, just my HO and 2c. :happy:

I don't care if that dude's half-caf-double-mocha-supa-doopa-paratroopa-monkey-guard instruction is the best on nine continents; that's bad training.

BTW, that's pretty funny, I'll grant you that.:lol:
Old 01-16-2007, 09:27 AM   #27
Rick West

Profile:
Since Bujinkan is strictly a self-defense art, I can't comment on the MMA side. Sports always have rules and a ref. Multiple attackers and weapons are not allowed. The problem is: Most street crime involves multiple attackers and weapons. First let me say I wouldn't want to fight anyone, but what would MMA do against edeged weapon? What will the bystanders/onlookers do when the groundfighting starts? Animal McWilliams www.nononsenseselfdefense.com has some insight on this subject. JMHO

Ricisan
I wouldn't dream of telling someone that Bujinkan is good for MMA, nor would I say the MMA is best for SD.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:47 AM   #28
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Bujinkan is strictly self-defense? I was never aware of that. An ex-boyfriend of mine trained here in the LA area for years and I spent a lot of time at that dojo and while it did involve weapons and multiple attackers, I definitely never got the impression it was supposed to strictly be about self-defense.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:35 AM   #29
Dave Macdonald

Profile:
Peter,
"Look at it this way, this is as close to "real world training" as you can get for learning to face your fears and overcome your own barriers. So that you won't panic and wet your pants when face with an actual scenario.
Again, just my HO and 2c."

This is a good way to prepare for "real" situations and MMA.

http://www.tonyblauer.com/4105/03_09...o_training.asp

(work and family safe. Training for self defense)

Old 01-16-2007, 12:55 PM   #30
Peter Queen

Profile:
Rick you made some good points, so let me clarify better. Of course MMA is not the only and best way to defend oneself. But in a 1-on-1 situation without weapons, at least the ones that can shoot projectiles, it is still better than nothing. Granted I might get sliced up from a knife or broken bottle but I can still take a person down and stomp the $#!& out of them if they are just your average street thug. Then I can go to the hospital to get stitched up later.:biggrinthumb:

“What will the bystanders/onlookers do when the groundfighting starts?”

Mostly nothing, other than wet their pants. I have seen it happen too many times. At the very least they can call the police on their cell phone. One time not too long ago that very thing happened at a local family establishment and kids play center I was visiting with my wife and kids. A fight broke out and 1 lady (an onlooker) was screaming her head off for help. No one responded. I finally heard it and ran over to have a look see. Another guy next to me asked if he should call 911 on his cell phone. I said ( without realizing it in a smug sarcastic way) duuugh, yeah! I would have called myself but my cell phone was still in my coat pocket back at my table and besides, my daughters were out there somewhere and I wanted to make sure they were OK first. Once they were secured I then went in to stop what was left of the fight until the police came. Yeah, I know it was stupid and my wife gave me hell for it later to.:blush:
There was a real good thread posted a while ago about Sheep dogs and Wolves. i liked it so much that I copied it to a Word doc.
:focus:
I guess by nature I am a sheep dog.

Dave: point well taken and thanks for the link. I like to read up on things like that. Again however, I’m not saying that MMA is the only way to go. There are many ways to train for real life. But the average street punk is out of shape anyway and uses intimidation and scare tactics mostly through psychological avenues to win over their victim. Any type of preparation you have is still better than nothing. I am not looking at MMA as a form of self defense per se, but only as a great way to keep in shape first and foremost. But I would rather take what I know from that than have nothing at all. Now how does that go..”train as you live, live as you train”? I am probably butchering that quote up.:blush:

Wow, I’m getting way off topic here. Oh well, this thread seems to be taking on a life of its own anyway.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Sheepdog v Wolves.doc (33.0 KB, 144 views)