CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
Michael Shade

Profile:
Going for Pull Up record, need some advice...

I'm currently attending Fire Academy, and just finished my first week. Everything's going great, and I'm having an incredible time learning and training. On our first day, we got pt'd and had our results recorded. The current record i'm interested in is 47 consecutive pull ups, wide grip, with palms facing outward. I recorded 31, and felt like if I had to, I could've pumped out a few more.

I've looked around the forum for some techniques to increase your max, but haven't found anything I really feel is specific enough for what I want. I've got 5 weeks left to try and reach 47, and am wondering what's the best way to increase my overall max.

The 31 I recorded is just from being in good shape. I haven't devoted any time to increasing my pull up max... I've honestly just been really good at them. I'm 6'1", 192, and pretty active. I eat good, take vitamins, protein, bcaa's, etc. I figured that if I DO train, I might be able to get close... at any rate, whether it seems possible or not, I really want to try. I want to give my best effort there, and bring something back to my station.

Anyway, what would you suggest? I've got 5 more weeks to accomplish this.

Should I do 5 sets of as many as possible? Should I do weighted pull ups (I can do about 15 with 75lbs extra)? I figured I'd train with it every other day. Should I do lat pull downs in conjunction?

I don't have much time, so I figured I'd try and get the best possible advice from some people who know exactly what they're doing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Going for Pull Up record, need some advice...

Look into the Armstrong pullup program or some grease the groove type stuff. Improving your ability to do weighted pullups wouldn't hurt either.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:30 PM   #3
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Are you allowed to kip them? If it says otherwise above, I apologize for not reading closely enough.

I made up a program that boosted my max kipping pulls from 30-46 in a month, around february-ish. Heres what i did:

1. Aim for at least 100 a day
2. Must hit 1000 a week. This averaged about 150 a day for me.
3. Pullups that were in my workput counted tpwards total
4. Break up sets any way you want. Sometimes i went for max reps upon waking up, sometimes i did 20 sets of 5, your choice
5. I did this for a month, but my callouses got so aggravated that they kept tearing, so i stopped (i dont like shaving off callouses). It boosted my numbers super rapidly however.
6. I also stopped because I felt as though a) my hands were not getting enough time to rest, and b) I was beginning to overtrain my back.

For a short term (1-2 months), this is an excellent program for short-term use, but you definitely could end up overtraining your back like this, as you do not get any resting days.
If you have any questions, feel free to shoot.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
Michael Shade

Profile:

I haven't asked if you're allowed to do that, but watching everyone else, I assume you're able to as long as your arms extend and your chin reaches above the bar. I didn't do any kipping pull ups until about 28 or 29, and got the last few with a little help from the legs...

I'll ask the instructor if we're able to on Monday, and if so, I guess I'll train with this method. I personally feel it's a little bit of a cheat, but if that's the way the record is held, that's how I'll do it.

Before I read any of this, I went ahead and went to the gym...

I went ahead and started my workout with 5 sets of pull ups.

First set: weighted pull ups with 45lb plate, did 20.
Second set: weighted pull ups with 25lb plate, did 18.
Third set: weighted pull ups with 25lb plate, did 17 (pretty sure).
Remaining two sets: 17-18 regular pull ups a piece.

Right after, I went in to my normal chest routine for the day. Is this stupid?

Also, looking at the Armstrong Pull Up Program... as far as the training sets go, do I try and determine them by seeing how many I can do at 9 sets? Like, if I can do 15 reps of 9 sets, would 15 become my training set then? I'm a little confused by this:

"You must perform nine training sets that day. If you only do twelve repetitions in your best single set (a PFT set or a maximum effort set), then your training set would probably have one or at most two repetitions"

If he does 9 sets, and gets 12 reps on his best... his training set is ONE or at most TWO pull ups? Am I reading this right?

(also, thanks for the tips daniel... 150 a day is a ton, but then again, I don't see how that wouldn't boost me. I might give this a go.)
Old 04-22-2011, 09:08 PM   #5
Steve Bray

Profile:

kipping aint cheating. its just using your body to its best ability to rep out pullups.
although if your trying to gain muscle mass and lat/back strength normal dead hang pullups are the way to go (not saying you dont gain size/strength from kipping)
Old 04-22-2011, 09:20 PM   #6
Michael Shade

Profile:

i don't mean to say that they're cheating, sorry about that... i'll start performing them that way. and i'm not really going for size or strength, just the amount of reps. don't know if i can jump up 16 reps in 6 weeks, but maybe if i learn to kip 'em, i might have a shot. we'll see.

thanks for all your help!
Old 04-22-2011, 09:50 PM   #7
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

If you can do 31 dead-hang pull-ups, 47 kipping will be easy. Start working on kipping technique and forearm strength, as well as pull-ups (obviously).
Old 04-22-2011, 10:45 PM   #8
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Shade View Post
I haven't asked if you're allowed to do that, but watching everyone else, I assume you're able to as long as your arms extend and your chin reaches above the bar. I didn't do any kipping pull ups until about 28 or 29, and got the last few with a little help from the legs...

I'll ask the instructor if we're able to on Monday, and if so, I guess I'll train with this method. I personally feel it's a little bit of a cheat, but if that's the way the record is held, that's how I'll do it.

Before I read any of this, I went ahead and went to the gym...

I went ahead and started my workout with 5 sets of pull ups.

First set: weighted pull ups with 45lb plate, did 20.
Second set: weighted pull ups with 25lb plate, did 18.
Third set: weighted pull ups with 25lb plate, did 17 (pretty sure).
Remaining two sets: 17-18 regular pull ups a piece.

Right after, I went in to my normal chest routine for the day. Is this stupid?

Also, looking at the Armstrong Pull Up Program... as far as the training sets go, do I try and determine them by seeing how many I can do at 9 sets? Like, if I can do 15 reps of 9 sets, would 15 become my training set then? I'm a little confused by this:

"You must perform nine training sets that day. If you only do twelve repetitions in your best single set (a PFT set or a maximum effort set), then your training set would probably have one or at most two repetitions"

If he does 9 sets, and gets 12 reps on his best... his training set is ONE or at most TWO pull ups? Am I reading this right?

(also, thanks for the tips daniel... 150 a day is a ton, but then again, I don't see how that wouldn't boost me. I might give this a go.)
If you do decide to try my routine, please let me know how it goes. I'm very curious as to how it would work on someone else, as I only know of my results.

I have henceforth decided to name this program "Frankel's GTG Pullup Maximizer"
Old 04-23-2011, 05:45 AM   #9
Steven Price

Profile:

The pull-up record you seem to be interested in is adjudicted by:

http://www.recordholders.org/en/list/chinups.html

They differentiate between chin-ups and pull-ups. They do not recognize kipping pull-ups.

You will note that no kicking/lower body movements are allowed.

It advisable that you contact the website before your attempt for further instructions.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #10
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Price View Post
The pull-up record you seem to be interested in is adjudicted by:

http://www.recordholders.org/en/list/chinups.html

They differentiate between chin-ups and pull-ups. They do not recognize kipping pull-ups.

You will note that no kicking/lower body movements are allowed.

It advisable that you contact the website before your attempt for further instructions.
actually, there's a category on that page for "leg assisted pullups/chinups"