CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-26-2011, 10:07 PM   #21
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: How do I explain my cholesterol going up to dad/doctor?

Good Calories, Bad Calories is a good read but very dense stuff and a bit hard to follow if you're not a real science-y type. Paleo Solution is entertaining reading and is easy to fly through.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:55 AM   #22
Ben Norris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Frankel View Post
I actually have fish oil in my fridge all the time, but have been forgetting to take it for the past 2 months. Im ignorant that way. I just went and had 2 teaspoons, usually I would have 1-2 a day.

And right now Im just trying to ingest calories because of SS, and because I want to gain a bit of weight. I'm a skinny-*** kid right now :P

Heres what I had today:

Breakfast:
1 1/2 cup of cereal w/a lot of milk

Milk = Good
Cereal = Bad

As Eric said, get bacon and eggs with milk (full fat) show your parents some articals showing that full fat milk is superior to skim and they will eat it up.

Snack:
Nature valley bar
Plum
piece of lemon cake/loaf

Get rid of the Lemon cake. (I have no idea what a nature valley bar is but since it is processed get it out) Incorporate some nuts in a snack. They have lots of good fat and taste pretty bloody good too!

Lunch:
Roast Beef sandwich (not as much meat as I would have liked though, but my mom packs my lunch so I cant complain )
Pear

Hmmm not too bad but try to incorporate some more veggies and alot of Beef (I mean ALOT) in there and maybe some more milk since you are doing SS and looking to get strong.

Snack:
Fudgesicle
Salad w/cheese and bacon bits

Ummmm NO. Not meaning to be harsh here but that is going to do nothing at all for your training and is crap for your HDL/ Cholesterol. Have a BIG lunch and assuming you do your SS session between lunch and dinner put a protein shake in there after your training session. WPC or WPI both are great. Have it with Milk (see more milk ) and nothing else. Dont bother with mass gainers/ whatever crap the big suppliment companies want to sell you.

Dinner:
Pancakes, like 8-9 of those mini ones you make with the batter
Fruit that was cooked and poured over the pancakes
500-750ml of milk (cannot remember if i had 2 or 3 glasses)

That is a poor dinner TBH if you are looking to keep your cholesterol/ LDL levels down + it is appauling if you want to get strong. As the others have said. Lots of Meat whether it be chickem, beef, salmon whatever it is as long as it looks like it did when it was killed ie no hot dogs.......... Also LOTS of Veggies, Sweet Potato, Broccoli, Capsicum, that kind of stuff all cooked in Coconut oil (GOOD FAT) will definietly be better for you to grow on

I am going now to have some bread + peanut butter.

Also, my parents only drink skim milk because of the saturated fat link to cholesterol and its reduced amoutn in skim, so I dont get as many calories as I could from milk, but no big deal.

Show them studies showing the benefit of full fat milk or buy your own and drink it when you are at school or at training.

I think my issue right now is:
a) not enough veggies
b) have not been taking fish oil
c) too many carbs

Yep all of the above

Also, will Vitamin D have D3 in it? or do I specifically needto get D3?
Hey Daniel,

Im 18 and have been where you are in regards to wanting to get Bigger/ Stronger. When I was 16 I was 5 foot 7 and 110 pounds and was so pathetic and weak. I am now 18 and 155 pounds at 5 foot 9. Still on my way to getting stronger mind you.

I would recommend exaclty what Eric has been saying. Your diet is pretty poor from a nutrition point of view. I will go though it with my recommendations in red

Since I have changed my diet to increase Meat intake Milk intake and Vegetable intake and stopped eating stuff processed by man and started training properly (Strength + Crossfit) I have never been stronger, faster or fitter and obviously all of my bloods are perfo. Now I am not saying what I am doing is Perfect however eating Natural foods not processed by man in large quantaties I would assume a pretty good place to start for you goals

Last edited by Ben Norris : 07-27-2011 at 02:59 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:54 AM   #23
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
Okay, I will begin doing research this weekend, and learning more about nutrition. Aside from The Paleo Solution, does anyone have any other book ideas that would best suit my needs?
In Defense of Food. Michael Pollen. It is not a nutrition book but I believe it is the first book anyone interested in nutrition should read. To me it does a very effective job of taking everything you know about nutrition and everything you are being told about nutrition and explains why you know and why you are being told. Unfortunately, it is not for the reasons you would hope.

It makes you question everything which in my book is good.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:40 AM   #24
Gary Butterfield

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
here are my recommendations:

be upfront and honest. if you are man enough to do what you want to do, then be man enough not to lie to your parents or doctors. i recommend talking with them now, not trying to explain it to them later. let them know your thoughts, desires, goals, etc. then see if all of you can come up with a plan that you can all agree to together. if you do find yourself in a situation where you have to explain yourself, then tell the truth. that's always the best and simpliest way to explain anything. plus it's the right thing to do.

also, if you have had an issue since such a young age, it may be wise to actually listen to your doctor, or at least work with him. the stuff that applies to "normal" people in regards to diet, exercise, cholesterol, etc may not apply to you in the same way if you have a serious genetic predisposition to dangerous high cholesterol.

what you absolutely do not want to happen is that you lie to them now, go to the doc in Sept and have crazy high number, and then have them micro manage your workouts and diet for the next year. that will not help your progress, situation, health, or goals. avoid this scenario by being proactive now.

if you enjoy anerobic work, plans to do less cardio, and have goals of getting bigger and stronger, then let your parents and doctor know. be honest. find research to back up your positions. and then be willing to listen a little and compromise. worst case scenario, you do alot of cardio and bodyweight workouts now and get in really good shape and in a few years when you are grown and pay your own bills (including medical bills and grocery bills) then you can do whatever you please.
I 100% buy into this, some very good comments made. Look after yourself mate, you only have one body, you need to look after it.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:05 PM   #25
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

How is flax seed for cholesterol? I noticed on the back it had polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fat, which I read somewhere is what raises HDL in avocados?
Old 07-27-2011, 10:33 PM   #26
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Quote:
How is flax seed for cholesterol? I noticed on the back it had polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fat, which I read somewhere is what raises HDL in avocados?
fish oil is better
Old 07-28-2011, 04:22 AM   #27
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
My Question: What do I do? I have high LDL, Triglycerides, and low HDL (not exponentially high, but still enough that I have a yearly appointment at Sick Kids Hospital for blood work and stuff), and what do I do to lower/raise them without doing metcons? What food should I eat, etc.?
I'm sure your dietitian has told you this already but you should be eating a low-fat plant based diet that includes plenty of whole grains, legumes including soy, fruit, vegetables, nuts and at least two servings of oily fish per week. Sources of saturated fat and cholesterol such as red meat and eggs should be eaten in moderation, perhaps two or three servings of lean meat per week and no more than one egg per day and processed meats eg. bacon should be eaten only as an occasional treat. Fat should make up no more than 30% of total calories and should be predominantly poly or monounsaturated and your saturated fat and cholesterol intake should be kept as low as possible while eating a nutritionally adequate diet.

Quote:
Okay, I will begin doing research this weekend, and learning more about nutrition. Aside from The Paleo Solution, does anyone have any other book ideas that would best suit my needs?
I wouldn't recommend reading fad diet books like The Paleo Solution or Good Calories Bad Calories if you want to learn about nutrition. You'd be better off with a basic nutrition textbook like Essentials of Human Nutrition by Jim Mann and Stewart Truswell* which is a surprisingly easy read considering how comprehensive it is or Human Nutrition: A Health Perspective by Mary E. Barasi if you'd prefer something a bit more sciencey. They're both quite expensive particularly when compared with the fad diet books you can pick up in your local supermarket so you might want to see if you can borrow a copy from your local library before buying anything. I'd also recommend buying a good sports nutrition book like The Complete Guide to Sports Nutrition by Anita Bean or Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook or, if you want to save a little money, you can just read through these instead -

Position of the American Dietetic Association, Dietitians of Canada, and the American College of Sports Medicine: Nutrition and Athletic Performance.

IAAF - Nutrition for Athletics.

IOC - Nutrition for Athletes.

AIS Sport Nutrition Factsheets.

* Note: A new edition of Essentials of Human Nutrition is out in December with a pre-order price of CDN$ 61.79 - link.

*All links wfs*
Old 07-28-2011, 04:46 AM   #28
Steven Price

Profile:

You have not said what your levels are, so it is very hard to predict if diet/exercise will have a significant effect. If you are genetically predisposed to high cholesterol, and say your level is 400, then diet/exercise will have no significant impact. You need statins, which means you need to talk to your doc. You should not be getting medical advice from a blog. I believe diet will only lower ch levels about 20%, at most. My native ch level is about 400, age 60, grew up eating pancakes and junk food, been on statins for about 25 years, and latest cardiogram showed my vascular system is as clean as a babies.

By the way, being genetically predisposed, I passed the trait to 1 of my 4 kids. All of whom were tested for ch levels by age 3. All had same diets, etc. And they ranged from 350 to normal. My point is that genetics is probably the major determinant, not diet. And my Mom passed the trait to me;her native ch level is north of 600. She is 80 and happy, and taking statins.

Don't be silly, see your doc.
P
Old 07-28-2011, 09:02 AM   #29
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Daniel I wanted to expound on what I said about fish oil. Basically anything I have read in pubmed indicates anything flaxseed can do fish oil does better. However if taking fish oil, it may not be a bad thing to toss some flax seeds in a smoothie or something. I would follow Steve's advice though and talk to the doctor about this stuff. Your health should not be entrusted to internet fitness enthusiasts. There is a lot of knowledge here and even a few doctors, but that does not mean they should replace the advice of your primary care physician. While you are at it, express some interest in fish oil and niacin for your cholesterol. Nicitonic acid (a form of niacin) is one of the few drugs that specifically increases HDL, while others do better at lowering LDL. I only mention this because I have spoken to my doctor about it. I have HDL a little on the low side and this is what he recommended.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:41 AM   #30
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

The issue with speaking to my doctor is that I only get to see him once a year due to him being wayy too busy. Sick Kids, if anyone knows is a crazy big hospital, and he does not have much time for general questions, only yearly checkups and things like that.

Regardless, I have no intention to stop taking fish oil, and was told to take 1-2 tea spoons a day, so that is what I am doing (2 right now). However, I figured adding a bit of flaxssed in adition to the fish oil would not hurt.