CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #11
Steven Proto

Profile:
Re: Weighted pullups record

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Vechet View Post
Firstly, it's "haven't."

Secondly, much of what is considered accepted in today's society has unverified, or not proven.

Yes, your achievement is impressive, but don't belittle the achievements of others just because you didn't see them.
I'm not belittling their achievements. I'm just saying if those records were proven or verified they would be published.

I'm told by REPS! magazine, Dale harder and recordholders.org that I have the world record.

I come into this thread, accused of "duping" the largest daily newspaper in Oklahoma.

Is this what crossfit is about?
Old 07-13-2011, 09:27 PM   #12
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Proto View Post
I'm not belittling their achievements. I'm just saying if those records were proven or verified they would be published.

I'm told by REPS! magazine, Dale harder and recordholders.org that I have the world record.

I come into this thread, accused of "duping" the largest daily newspaper in Oklahoma.

Is this what crossfit is about?
Steven,

I apologize.

There is always skepticism around here for things that seem suspicious on the surface.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #13
Steven Proto

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Steven,

I apologize.

There is always skepticism around here for things that seem suspicious on the surface.
It's alright, I've seen the information on 123pair before.
I've searched the internet for other sources and the numbers seem to vary.

I learned of Dale Harder and his Encyclopedia when I searched the name Tim Ferguson from the magazine artificial.

He noted of other unofficial records but named Tim Ferguson being the current official record holder. There was photographic evidence and his chin-up was witnessed by Peary Rader at a power lifting meet here in the U.S. His record was also in a 1983 issue of IRONMAN magazine.

GWR just added the category "Heaviest weighted pull up" and after research decided to set the min at 200 lbs.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:47 PM   #14
Steven Low

Profile:

To be honest this is just like the world record iron cross stuff out there.

There's tons of gymnasts who can probably break the "record" but they don't really care about that type of stuff.

Based on John Gill's stuff I'm inclined to believe most of things he's posted up there whether people think it's legit or not. Shrug.

Congrats on your world record though. Hope it brings other people out of the woodwork to boost the record up.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:58 PM   #15
Steven Proto

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
To be honest this is just like the world record iron cross stuff out there.

There's tons of gymnasts who can probably break the "record" but they don't really care about that type of stuff.

Based on John Gill's stuff I'm inclined to believe most of things he's posted up there whether people think it's legit or not. Shrug.

Congrats on your world record though. Hope it brings other people out of the woodwork to boost the record up.
Thanks me too, there are people very close.

Dale Harder & GWR has strict standards on how they are performed, Grip, ROM, Lower body movements. When they let me know my record has been beat it would be by the best.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:51 AM   #16
Steven Price

Profile:

Steve Proto, Thanks for weighing in and educating folks about current standards regarding weighted pull-up claims. Clearly there is a lot of ignorance around this topic. And thanks for the civil and gentlemanly behavior so prevalent in Oklahoma!

Folks on this forum should also perhaps review the definition of "Anecdotal": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence (wfs)

Many of the achievements by the "monsters" cited by Gill above would probably not pass current standards of objectivity.

Certainly one of the achievements of current civilization is its increasing demand for objectivity, transparency, and replicability--the demand for a scientific approach to all claims.

Hats off to those who are trying to establish human records, and to those that are trying to set and enforce such standards.

To those that say "yea, so what...so could do that," I say fine, step up to the line and prove it.

Criticisms of grammatical mistakes strikes me as a very low blow. This forum is not a refereed publication. Pointing out off-the-topic grammatical errors really only serves to raise questions about the competency of the one pointing out such errors.

And Shane, hats off to you for your mea culpa. Takes a lot of character to apologize on a public forum.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:57 AM   #17
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Again all I say, welcome to the internet....
Old 07-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #18
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

I'm just glad Steven posted. I've followed his youtube account for years.

I was always amazed by the fact that he seems strongest with a Pronated and rather wide grip.

I feel strongest (although I'm NOWHERE near his poundages) with a supinated, close grip, just like the picture of that fellow, Tim Ferguson is it?

Steven you're s beast!
Old 07-14-2011, 02:54 PM   #19
Steven Proto

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
I'm just glad Steven posted. I've followed his youtube account for years.

I was always amazed by the fact that he seems strongest with a Pronated and rather wide grip.

I feel strongest (although I'm NOWHERE near his poundages) with a supinated, close grip, just like the picture of that fellow, Tim Ferguson is it?

Steven you're s beast!
Thanks, I've always used a over hand grip and I just put my hands up where I feel most comfortable. One day I should try close grip.

yup it's Tim Ferguson I have no idea where he is now.

Do you have a youtube?
I'll Subscribe.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:24 AM   #20
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

I do and it seems you found me! lol.

I always wondered how someone could be strongest with that grip, it seems impossible. Maybe your biceps are a bit untrained??? I noticed you have a video of some 135# curls. They're great, but not even close to the league of your 402# pull-up. So maybe this explains why you're stronger with that pronated grip? I wonder if you trained Chin-ups for a few years if you'd put up even more weight. Almost everyone I've seen can chin-up more than they can pull-up. Your case is puzzling and surprising as you lift so much....

Again props on those records, I love the fact that you start with shoulders shrugged up and almost no leg movement!!