CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-28-2011, 06:55 AM   #1
Steven Price

Profile:
Spark

Reading the book Spark by John Ratey--best argument for the benefits of exercise I've seen..compelling data for re-establishing PE in schools (improvement in grades, behavior), assisting in depression and anxiety treatment, neurologic improvement of all types including brain growth, memory, etc etc. Very good read for all, especially school administrators.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
John Lowry

Profile:
Re: Spark

I read this book a couple of years ago when it was first published. The most memorable part was the study that took two groups with low academics and gave one of the groups PE early in the morning before their first class of the day. The scores of the group that took PE early in the morning skyrocketed compared to the group who did not.

As a PE teacher, this book is one of the strongest arguments for keeping physical education in our schools. It's a shame that most school districts, especially at the elementary level, require a bare minimum of time spent in PE per week. I see my students (k-6) only 40 minutes every 5 school days. I've been trying to convince administrators to allow more time for PE with the current budget cuts in Pennsylvania, I'm definitely not winning that battle.