CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-24-2011, 05:15 AM   #11
Steven Price

Profile:
Re: Going for Pull Up record, need some advice...

Jared, so it is! Now all the op's questions are answered. Yet again illustrating the need for defining what a pull-up is. This must be amongst the most misused terms, which really doesn't matter as long as you are not comparing yourself to others. How many people do you see in the gym fully extending arms in what one assumes is a dead hang attempt? Essentially never, I suspect.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:39 AM   #12
Michael Shade

Profile:

Thanks for the information! I don't think they're as rigid as the actual word records... it's just for the state academy.

I think I'm going to follow grease the groove technique... try and do 4-6 sets of 25 throughout the day, 5-6 days out of the week. Just try and get as many reps as possible without going to failure as it mentions. Seem like a good fit?
Old 04-24-2011, 10:17 AM   #13
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Shade View Post
Thanks for the information! I don't think they're as rigid as the actual word records... it's just for the state academy.

I think I'm going to follow grease the groove technique... try and do 4-6 sets of 25 throughout the day, 5-6 days out of the week. Just try and get as many reps as possible without going to failure as it mentions. Seem like a good fit?
Yea, that seems like it woukd work. If you do a worlout involving pullups that day, make sure you lessen the load on either the workout or the days sets.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:35 AM   #14
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

Honestly, if you had a good, strong kip, you'd be able to break that record TODAY. If you want to get as many deadhangs as possible before switching to kipping, I'd do what you're suggesting, but adding additional kipping pull-ups at the end of each round.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #15
Michael Shade

Profile:

Well, due to the schedule, I'm having to follow the armstrong technique.

Today was my day three, where you do 1 pull up, then 2, then 3, and so on until you break the pattern. I got up to 17, and did a total of 163 for the entire set. I also tried kipping during the routine. It's a little unfamiliar, and it'll take some getting used to.

I guess I'll keep up with this method for about two more weeks, rest a couple of days, and then try my max while kipping... hopefully it'll be close!

Also, one more question: during this routine, should I keep working out other muscle groups? I have been, but I've been reduced the load. For instance, today, I only did 3 sets of leg press (with 25 calf pushes each set), and 3 sets of squats... also only six sets because were supposed to be in the heat house all day and running.

Anyway, does that sound okay? And I'm sorry for the continual bump of the thread... just really want some advice! I want this record!

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #16
Steven Price

Profile:

Michael, you had expressed interest in pull-up records, and you have indicated some pretty impressive weighted pull-up numbers. As a matter of fact, you might be at a world-record right now. The current weighted pull-up record is 18 consecutive pull-ups with a 45# plate. You can see the record at:

http://www.strengthospeedia.org/ (wfs)
Old 04-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #17
Joshua Gritton

Profile:

Kipping in regards to record pull ups is not allowed. The record is most likely for strict pull ups. Also what would the point be fore having a record of most kipping pull ups? You can wiggle your body better than the average female gymnast? (Nothing against them I quite love women gymnasts.)
Old 05-02-2011, 05:50 PM   #18
Michael Shade

Profile:

A little disappointed today... I've got some really sharp pain on the top part of my arms between the wrist and elbow. Went outside today and tried to do 5 maximum sets, and had to quit midway through the first one because it was so bad. Tried again, and by about rep 7, it was too much.

I'm not sure if it's because of over training, or because of the push ups. The pain seemed to develop doing push ups with my hands flat on the ground (I have bad wrists)... there's no ice here, either, which sucks. I'll take some ib profuen, see if that helps a little, and try and get some ice tomorrow.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:24 AM   #19
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Give it a break for a day or two, and come back when you're not feeling pain.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:05 AM   #20
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Price View Post
Michael, you had expressed interest in pull-up records, and you have indicated some pretty impressive weighted pull-up numbers. As a matter of fact, you might be at a world-record right now. The current weighted pull-up record is 18 consecutive pull-ups with a 45# plate. You can see the record at:

http://www.strengthospeedia.org/ (wfs)
Not to disrespect the person who owns that record, but 18 pullups at 45# seems like a low bar (pun intended). I can do at least 10 with that much and I don't even have a strong weighted pullup.