CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
Michael Dowling

Profile:
too old to get truly big?

i'm just curious what everyone's consensus on this is. is 33 too old to really start to strength train and get truly big? i always lifted in my 20's but typical curls for the girls type of lifting and not really strength training.

at 33 did i miss the boat to get really friggin big (naturally)?

i'm currently 5'9 184 and about 17-18% BF. I would like to get to 215-220 with similar BF percentages. at my age is this possible to do naturally? at my fattest i was 215 but it was just a man-breasted fat nightmare, i have no interest in going back there. so is 25-30 lbs of lean muscle mass possible at my age?

Last edited by Michael Dowling : 03-17-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:58 PM   #2
Michael Henry

Profile:
Re: too old to get truly big?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dowling View Post
i'm just curious what everyone's consensus on this is. is 33 too old to really start to strength train and get truly big? i always lifted in my 20's but typical curls for the girls type of lifting and not really strength training.

i'm currently 5'9 184 and about 17-18% BF. I would like to get to 215-220 with similar BF percentages. at my age is this possible to do naturally? at my fattest i was 215 but it was just a man-breasted fat nightmare, i have no interest in going back there. so is 25-30 lbs of lean muscle mass possible at my age?
I just turned 31 and still find it relatively easy to put on lean mass. If you lift the weights and eat right, your body has no choice but to respond. My only problem is that I don't have that wiggle room when I was younger. If I eat crap, I notice it. I'm 5'10, 185-190, no more than 15% BF.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

Quote:
...it was just a man-breasted fat nightmare...

I will keep that delectable phrase in mind whenever I am lacking motivation for a workout.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
David Doran Marshall

Profile:

I literally had someone tell me "you know you are too old to build any muscle, right?"

lol
Old 03-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
Terry Gibbs

Profile:

You are never too old to build muscle, it just gets harder each year.
Think at 40 your tos levels start to seriously drop, at fifty it is down 20% but at 60 it is down 40% (these figure for non trainees).

Lifting right increases GH and natural tos. At 57 I recently had a fasting blood test and all my tos figures are mid range. (not for my age but mid range for a male)

If you start now you will have no problems with your goals, and will be in much better shape as the years go by

I'm 5'11", 229lbs with 17.5% bodyfat, and I just train for strength (although will do some mass work in the coming year, before shifting back to my throwing program).
Old 03-18-2011, 03:46 AM   #6
Kevin Bean

Profile:

33 is hardly old. Don't beat yourself mentally.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:05 AM   #7
Andy Gann

Profile:

Quote:

I'm 37 and have been building muslce and losing fat for the last 2 months. Lift heavy weights with fierce intensity, eat enough protein (at least 1.5 g/lb of BW - supplement with whey if you have to) and get enough carbs to fuel your workouts.

I do a 1:1 protein:carb ratio until 1:00 pm then I stick to low carb for the rest of the day except for a PWO shake of 2:1 carb/protein which is 50c:25p and I don't count that .... I get about 300g protein a day/150g carb per day and I don't measure fat. I would say that since implementing this eating plan while following a linear progression my BF has dropped a few %. i still weigh about the same but my lifts are increasing and I look alot better in the mirror!
Old 03-18-2011, 10:20 AM   #8
Steven Price

Profile:

OMG! You guys are hilarious! In your 30's and you think you are old already! I'm nearly 60 and continue to have to buy larger suits/shirts due to increasing muscle mass. Set world record in pull-ups in 24 hours just two years ago. My wife complains about my "sloping neck" (a look she despises). So go ahead and enjoy the next 50 years of exercise and testosterone.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:15 AM   #9
Chris Caruso

Profile:

(w/fs)

http://recordholders.org/en/list/chinups.html

Whoah, and there's you. That's inspiring. How did you break them up?
Old 03-18-2011, 11:22 AM   #10
Steven Price

Profile:

About 2.8/minute, if I recall correctly. For 1,440 minutes. See what you can do in your "old age"? Now I want to row across the Great Lakes. Never ending fun as you get older!