CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-18-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
Chris Catto

Profile:
New to Crossfit, my story, where I am, my goals (LOONNNGGG)

When I was in High School I was a completive swimmer (state level) swimming between 7-12,000 yards a day. I was 6'00" tall, 245lbs and 6%bf!

Well I hurt my shoulder and that was the start of a steady and swift downfall for my body. I did not do any serious working out until my 2nd sr year of college. At that point I was still 245 lbs but looked like more like a beached whale than a swimmer.

I got into weight lifting kinda blindly, reading Muscle and Fitness. I saw fast and large gains trimming down a bit and getting stronger. I was working out in the gym about 2 hours a day (1 hour lifting, 15-20mins abs, rest cardio) with little to show for all my effort. Then I met my wife to be. She is not a workout person and needless to say I lost all motivation to be at the gym.

Then we moved 1000 miles away from home and I did not have a scale (the reason for that comment later). Between work, trying to find a "real job", and the relationship I fell deeper and deeper into a state of lard ***.
In Dec 2007 I proposed to my wife to be, she said yes and we started planning our wedding. I paid little attention to myself til one day I was at Target and saw they had scales on sale. I got a nice digital one for about $20. I took my new toy home and took it out of the package. I put it on the floor and said "that matches nicely" and walked out without using it.

Saturday came around and I just got out of the shower, and in my naked glory went to go try out my scale. 249lbs flashed on the display HOW THE HELL DID I GET SO SMURFIN BIG!?!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Picture002.jpg

That day I changed my diet and started to really learn how to get in shape. With a goal of 215lbs and 12% BF I started slowly. Lifting weights and eating right. I was again seeing small gains but it was SLOW. Then I got on a web forum and really started my nutrition and fitness education. I started eating ridiculously clean and lifting for about 1 hour a day HARD and running 3-4 miles 5 days a week. I dropped fat and got very strong. I was dead lifting 450lbs for reps and benching over 300. Squats were 405 for my max set and I could curl 165lbs. I never got to my goal of 215 (221 was my best @ 16%BF) but I looked about 1000% better IMO.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ermn/002-3.jpg

Welllll then the wedding came and went and I got lazy again. I started back about 2 months ago the same way I was going before ‘til I popped my lower back (again) pulling 405 on DLs. Then the thought came to my head "I'm 30 y.o., who am I trying to impress?" My wife doesn't care, I am still not in the shape I want to be in something’s got to change.

So, I am back to 235# and chubby at best.

About two weeks ago I finally took my little bros advice (currently 6th in the Midwest CF Regionals, GO RUNT! ) and got into CF. It has been amazing. In 3 years of lifting/cardio I have never felt like I do at the end of a CF workout...AND I CANNOT EVEN COMPLETE THEM YET! I am seeing small gains already. Thats how gone I have gotten.

My goals are still the same to get into the low teens of BF% and be around 205-210lbs.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:53 AM   #2
Vicki E Yeates

Profile:
Re: New to Crossfit, my story, where I am, my goals (LOONNNGGG)

GO you! I changed shape faster in one month of CF than I did in 6 months of "bootcamping, double pump/spin every day globo style" gym work. Beware - it is addictive, and if your wife does not join too, she will be rolling her eyes and calling Crossfit your other lover (especially when you start talking about Fran, Angie, Nicole etc)! We do tend to eat, sleep and breathe it...
Good luck end enjoy your new path.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:05 AM   #3
Simon Gilmurray

Profile:

6 Foot with 6% body fat at 245lbs!? Sounds unlikely to me...
Old 05-19-2009, 11:22 AM   #4
Chris Catto

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Gilmurray View Post
6 Foot with 6% body fat at 245lbs!? Sounds unlikely to me...
Wish I could find a good pic from that time (they are all at the 'rents).
I was 17y.o. eating well and swimming for 3-5 hours a day (no I did not have a life). My BF% was based on a handheld that we used in gym class while determining body composition (the eletrionic kind not the caliper that I use now). My dementions for my jr prom (for my tux) were chest 52" waist 31" bi's 17", neck 17.5". Take a look at my linked pics (sorry they are WS) and you will see how a fat version of me lookes. Make my chest and back bigger and waist much smaller. My legs were big enough that I had to buy jean in much larger sizes and have them recut until they came out with strainght leg pants.

Sorry if you dont believe me but it is what was. It is also a very depressin thought that I no longer resemble that.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:21 PM   #5
Simon Gilmurray

Profile:

Your picture links don't work. I'm not saying I don't believe you...just saying it sounds unlikely in my opinion. For all I know it might be perfectly true, it just sounds like a lot of weight to be carrying at that height for that bodyfat percentage (implying that you had a ridiculous amount of muscle on your frame as virtually none of that weight would be fat).

6 is a very low bodyfat percentage and would also be very hard to keep up for a longer period of time.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Your picture links don't work. I'm not saying I don't believe you...just saying it sounds unlikely in my opinion. For all I know it might be perfectly true, it just sounds like a lot of weight to be carrying at that height for that bodyfat percentage (implying that you had a ridiculous amount of muscle on your frame as virtually none of that weight would be fat).

6 is a very low bodyfat percentage and would also be very hard to keep up for a longer period of time.
Yes, this is true. And handheld body fat calculators are notoriously inaccurate.

OTOH, consider how Michael Phelps looks. Do a lot of swimming and you'll get pretty ripped.

Katherine
Old 05-20-2009, 08:51 AM   #7
Chris Catto

Profile:

Quote:
Your picture links don't work.
all links SFW
Fat Pic
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Picture001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Picture002.jpg
Not so Fat pic
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ermn/004-2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ermn/001-2.jpg

Quote:
I never said it was for a long period of time, it was while I was in hard core swim training, about 8 months out of the year. In order to see a "6 pack" you need to be below 10%, usually in the mid single digits. I was ripped from head to toe, with a six pack. I look back at that time and think that I will never look like that again (time, getting older etc) but it gives me a goal to work towards.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:53 AM   #8
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Katherine,

Phelps is also 185 at 6'4"
Old 05-20-2009, 08:56 AM   #9
Simon Gilmurray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Katherine,

Phelps is also 185 at 6'4"
Along with being one of the most ridiculous Olympians of all time in the swimming field. He also eats about 18-20k calories a day and swimming is his life and profession.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:22 PM   #10
Claude M Crowe

Profile:

I can honestly say that when I started Crossfit, in three months I went from the worst shape of my life, to the best shape of my life. I even still have some weight to lose, but my strength is way up and i've never been in such good cardiovascular shape ever. Keep it up. Self motivated people go far with crossfit.