CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-09-2006, 11:51 PM   #1
Michael Raphael Kelley

Profile:  
Hello I am a Gymnastics coach at Mt. Baker gymnastics the same facility were Skip Chase runs his program.

I am also a traceur a practioner of parkour since last march.

I have done some form of martial art most of my life, and usually played at least one sport recreationally. I started gymnastics 5 years ago when I was 18 but only was able to start training more then once a week in the last year or two. Since I started coaching it. I am about the equivalent of level 7 on the floor somewhere between level 5-6 on the rest of the equipment.

I hit a plateau in my training recently and felt that I had come to a point were my general physical fitness was not sufficient to continue progressing in the specific skills of my chosen disciplines. So I decided to ask skip to start training me with the crossfit methodology.

Strangely enough I was able to bust through the plateau before I started training with skip. Still I started last tuesday and am glad I did so. It made me realize that while my skill development has been progressing mostly consistently for the last year. My conditioning hasn't progressed since august. If am to reach the levels I want to as a Gymnast and traceur I simple have be move to much higher level of fitness.

Skip took me and my freind dane through the crossfit warm up and Cindy though cut down to 10 minutes we both managed 6 rounds. Exhausting.

Looking forward to reaping the rewards of this new conditiong program. I have been reading through the forum and all the available materials so I don't have to many question just yet, but I am working on it. Been very impressed by the level of knowledge here look forward to slowly picking everbody's brains.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:34 AM   #2
Kalen Meine

Profile:
Bene Gesserit sig. Woohoo.

Oh, and welcome and all that. I'll be interested to see how better GPP backs up something like gymnastics with a high level of skill. Groovy.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:44 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Welcome. Improving weaknesses will have exponential effects on your sport! Good job with Cindy.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:11 AM   #4
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
Hey, my first CrossFit Storm was a 10-minute Cindy, too!

Parkour + CrossFit = Badass. I'm just the opposite of you, been doing CrossFit for a while and am just getting started in Parkour.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:30 PM   #5
Michael Raphael Kelley

Profile:  
Thanks for welcome guys.

Kalen I love the litany against fear, it rings so true from a parkour perspective. I can't really claim a high level of skill in gymnastics, boys competive gymnastics starts at level four and goes to level 10 in the jr. olympic levels beyond that are elites. By gymnastiscs standards I have attained the skills that a gymnast should have by the age of 10-12.

Eric allways glad to see another traceur I defineatly think that the crossfit methodology complements the parkour discipline. I'll be curious to here how you progress in parkour.

Old 01-10-2006, 02:19 PM   #6
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Michael,

Congrats on starting gymnastics. Regardless of what level equivalent you acheive in gymnastics you will still gain benifits that most people never experience. Finding CrossFit as well will make it even more productive.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:22 PM   #7
Tom Brose

Profile:
Micheal, we have a great resource on this board for you. Check out Jesse Woody, who runs the American Pakour website, and is blending CrossFit with their training. He also seems to be developing some great progressions for learning Parkour safely. He posts alot, just look for his name.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:23 PM   #8
Michael Raphael Kelley

Profile:  
Thanks roger I concur I look forward to discussing the the areas were the two things meet.

Tom I agree on this message board. I am very familar with Jesse Woody as Gear on the parkour message boards, and follow his posts with interest.
BTW if you any of you are on APK I am Faelcind over there and on any other parkour message board.

Speaking of names. I Entered Rafe username and only included michael in my name cause it asked for my full legal name. I have never been called michael and actually rather dislike the name so would perfer to be called Raphael or Rafe.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:31 AM   #9
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I think Lynne would let you use Raphael Kelly. Shoot her an e-mail..or may be she already knows!!!
Old 01-11-2006, 05:41 PM   #10
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Larry you got he 'e' on Lynne, but forgot one on KellEy.

I think that Mr. Kelley should designate a Parkour workout as pennance.