CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
Shaun wiegert

Profile:
rogue monster lite power rack or squat stand?

I am selling my current body solid monster power rack to try to find a smaller footprint unit. It currently has the 210lb weight stack with high low pulleys on one side. the unit is over 6ft deep overall and is a really nice unit, but it takes up a LOT of space in my garage. it is sold for $1000

What Im looking for is a shallower unit. Rogue sells a new line of monster lite power racks and squat stands. the 2 that I am looking at are the SML-3 108" tall squat rack with the fat/skinny pull up bar($475+$162 for spotters). The other option is the RML-3 90" tall power rack($755).

what I like about the SML-3 is that it is very compact with only one upright. the downsides are that I have no options for attaching storage for plates. Also, I am slightly concerned about the pull-up bar configuration in that will I hit my head on the second bar once my head clears the first? I usually do pull-ups to mid chest. one other concern with this type of unit is how stable it will be doing kipping pull-ups?

What I like about the RML-3 is that it is slightly shorter, and with the 90" high pull-up bar its about perfect. With the power rack I will have the pain of removing the bar for other movements as I cannot afford multiple bars at this time. With that said I can at some point add the front spotter bars and use the rack from the front and change the back rack for weight storage. This setup will also allow me to use the pull up bar with out having to remove the bar from the rack. This rack will bolt to the floor so I have no doubts as to its stability.

any tips or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

your newbie crossfitter.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
Joey Allen

Profile:
Re: rogue monster lite power rack or squat stand?

Here's one more option:
The standard R3 has FREE shipping (with 2 other "3 ships free" items, like chalk and a wristband) for a limited time right now, making it a steal. I have one and LOVE the dang thing. Bolted down, that thing is a tank. Take a look at my garage gym in the link in my sig if you want to see some pics of it. The "3 ships free" deal is only for a couple more days, just so you know. You can save quite a bit here to use for other goodies.

"The pain of moving the bar" in a power rack is not that bad.. ha.. plus it gives you an excuse to save for another bar in the future.

Good luck deciding. I love the looks of the monster series, but as far as functionality goes, the 2x3 series is proven to be plenty strong, so I wouldn't worry about that, and the accessories are cheaper.

Last edited by Joey Allen; 05-06-2013 at 12:23 PM..
Old 05-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
Shaun wiegert

Profile:

Thanks for the info, however I already ordered the monster lite rack. It was 60 dollars more but I got a discount on my b&r bar and on the hitemp bumpers. They also threw in the hg bar clamps. Free shipping on everything but rack. Thanks again though.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
Joey Allen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun wiegert View Post
Thanks for the info, however I already ordered the monster lite rack. It was 60 dollars more but I got a discount on my b&r bar and on the hitemp bumpers. They also threw in the hg bar clamps. Free shipping on everything but rack. Thanks again though.
Nice! Post some pics when you get it all set up. That stuff will last you forever.. enjoy it!