CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-21-2004, 08:20 AM   #1
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
I was wondering how much and what you guys modify from your stock diet at times where your activity level has dropped.

I'm at a point where I'm lucky if I can get three workouts a week. Past four weeks it looked more like 2/1/0/3 workouts per week.

As a result and since I am a big eater, I have gained some fat. Unfortunately, until my crossfit gym is finished I don't forecast being able to go back to my previous activity levels due to time shortage.

So what do you guys do when you want to lose fat, don't want to throw away too much hard-earned muscle, and can't do this by upping your activity level but only through your diet?

1. Simply cut down-say-30% on calories?
2. Cut down to 50% on non-workout days?

Since I'm not training as hard and are not feeding my muscles as much, should favour even more protein for this cycle so as to retain as much muscle as possible?

Any ideas and past experiences are most welcome.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:29 PM   #2
Roy

Profile:

Alex, I suggest just to try eating meat only(with perhaps some oil and lettuce for "regularity") on your off days. Even though I work out on this type of diet, I burned more fat with it(12.4% to 9.7% BF in 9 days) than I did when I was training even harder while eating a bigger variety; carbs included.

I now practice a diet in conjunction with crossfit in which I eat only meat, nuts, and a salad on the WOD days, and then a warrior diet day on the rest day, with my big feast at night being almost 100% carbs, mostly from fruit.

So it is sort of an NHE/paleo/warrior(intermittent fasting) hybrid that is easy and fun to follow. I've tried many diets before including those in the "Hybrid" alone. This one has by far worked the best for me, and I think anyone wanting to try something different should definitely give this a try.

Hopefully this was helpful?

Cheers

Roy
Old 01-21-2004, 01:00 PM   #3
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Roy - What kind of meats and nuts do you eat on your crossfit days?
Old 01-21-2004, 05:04 PM   #4
Roy

Profile:

Kevin---

Tuna, chicken breast, free range eggs, slice of lunch ham, grass fed beef of some sort(i.e. burger, steak, etc) and sometimes venison. My mom has been getting more fish like salmon, halibut, or catfish lately. So they tend to replace the beef and sometimes the chicken breast. I always have Whey powder immediately after workouts. I get a tablespoon of flax oil in the afternoon, and walnuts or almonds sometime during the day.

It always varies. virtually every day is different. Whatever meat I can find with at least 20 grams of protein, I eat. Sometimes I make special trips to the grocery store and get something new. A few days ago, for example, I had some chicken gizzards and hearts. They were very cheap, lean, but the only potential "problem" I found from reading the ingredients was the very high amount of cholesterol.

Here is what I had today so far:

Woke up 6:00am--fresh ground coffee
Post W/O--------Whey powder
11:00am---------2 whole free range eggs, ham, handful of walnuts and almonds

2:00pm----------Tuna and olive oil. Handful of walnuts and almonds

5:00-----Im gonna go eat some catfish right now

6:30-----TaeKwonDo practice

7:30-----Whey powder

8:00-----Chicken breast salad.

9:00-----bed

Cheers

Roy
Old 01-21-2004, 07:21 PM   #5
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Alrighty. Sounds like a plan.

I'm thinking about trying the Warrior diet, as I like the simplicity of it, but I think that it wouldn't work too well with my overall goal of gaining muscle. This sounds like a solid plan for muscle gain, though.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:44 PM   #6
Roy

Profile:

Cool. Let me know how it works for you. The key is to fast on that entire rest day until the evening, which is where you have a four hour carb feast.

Im still tinkering with how many carbs to eat. 300-400 grams does okay, but Im thinking I will need closer to 500 which is what im gonna go for on friday night. During the fast, I just have a few protein shakes throughout the day since they digest quickly, thus not interfering with the detoxifying process.

This diet has mostly resulted in optimal energy, tremendous fat loss, and some muscle gain. It works quite well for me. Im curious to see how it works for you.

I like the warrior diet, but not something to do every day. So I compromised doing it every fourth. Good luck to you!

Cheers

Roy
Old 01-22-2004, 01:49 AM   #7
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Hey Roy!

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Frankly I think that I eat plenty of good protein sources 6 eggs+2 cans of tuna+1.5kg of various meats or fish in a day is quite a bit me thinks.

My carbs come from fruit in the morning, and lettuce, spinach, arugula, tomatoes in the afternoon. My late night meal is usually all protein/fat. Olive oil and almonds are my main sources of fat.

The thing that troubles me if I cut down on the calories on the off days is that my muscles may not be getting al the nutrition they need. And thus came the idea to keep the grams of protein I'm ingesting the same, but cut on calories through fat and carbs.

But the question still lingers...Do my muscles "ask" for so much protein on the off days as well or am I just wasting it? In that case I'll drop the calories even more and keep my ratios the same...
Old 01-22-2004, 02:12 AM   #8
wjones

Profile:  
Roy, where do you get your carbs from, which sources? Bread, rice, pasta, cereals/grains? Or fruit and veg? That seems like a lot of carbs even over 3-4hours of eating :happy:
Old 01-22-2004, 08:50 AM   #9
Roy

Profile:

Jones-- Its usually all fruit. I might occasionaly sneak in my lifelong addiction of milk and cold cereal. Maybe yogurt too. It is a load, but not uncomfortably a lot.

Every hour, I'll go for around 125 grams(125x4=500) This would be something like a banana, four berry, and whey smoothie, another banana, two apples and an orange. That sounds like a lot to do four times, but not after a day of fasting. Plus, you'll find that you're a bottomless pit after no fruit for 3 days, plus a day of eating hardly anything. There are health/neurological reasons that make me avoid grains as much as possible. Another reason why I need to ditch that cereal.

Cheers

Roy
Old 01-22-2004, 09:57 AM   #10
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Funnily enough, the only food from grain sources that I would gladly eat if ever it came close to the dinner table would be baby food!!

Something about that white hot creamy wheat!

Roy, as long as you go "Extra-paleo" in a random, rare and guilt-free manner, I'd say don't worry about it. Don't treat it like a cheat...

Emotional stability is just as important. That's why I won't think twice in drinking a fine wine, or having a drink with a friend...

Live a healthy lifestyle because that's what you should be doing, it's what your body calls for. And enjoy life because that's what your psyche calls for. The two things may conflict with each other at times, so it's up to us to smooth out these borders. Perfecting them (100% disciplined physical and psychological lifestyle) might make the whole tower collapse in the end, so it's in our best interest to allow a little leeway...

Too many people "diet" looking for results, feel deprived and then go back to their old habits because they didn't realize that it's a lifestyle mentality, not just "food deprivation".

Hmm...I guess thinking of baby food does get me into rant mode after all!:happy: