CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-23-2003, 08:32 PM   #1
Nicholas John Nakis

Profile:  
My Girlfriend and I share a problem... And we've both taken different approaches, but with little effect.

She used to do strength training and weight lifting, but when she decided to quit that, a lot of her upper body bulk turned to fat. She's been trying to kill the chubbies by running and hitting the aerobic exercise machines for a couple hours each day. She also eats like a bird, but it's mostly carbs from grains.

I was always moderately active and had a high metabolism, so this stuff wasn't a problem. Then, in the spring, I had major abdomen surgery and ballooned. I've been running daily, working my lower body in the AM, my upper body in the PM. I have also recently been doing high intensity training and interval training, I've discovered the value of functional movements and variety of exercise. My diet is also more Zone and Paleo (but not 100%).

Thing is, neither of us can get rid of the flab in the midsection. That's the million dollar question: How do you get read of that damn gut?

If extremely active people who try to watch what they eat still can't drop it, what's the prescription? Any help on this one would be awesome.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:33 PM   #2
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

CrossFit Exercise Regimen + Paleo Diet or NHE = flabless midsection :-)

If I recall correctly, holding weight around your midsection indicates some sort of insulin issue. Following the one and only Crossfit and eating in a Paleo or NHE fashion will take care of the insulin issue(s). I follow a CrossFit/NHE combo and continue to lean out more and more while seemingly adding more LBM. Gotta love it :-)

-Jay
Old 11-24-2003, 04:54 AM   #3
Sean Harrison

Profile:
I hope I'm not banned for this, but it seems like everything in the Zone/Paleo is insulin related
Old 11-24-2003, 07:10 AM   #4
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Nicholas,

Although your girlfriend might get better results from modifying her diet/exercise regime, it sounds like you are on the right track. Just curious, what is your sleep schedule like? For some people, everything came together (i.e. fat loss, performance levels, energy levels, etc.) only when they started to get at least 9 hours of sleep every night in a completely dark environment.

Sean,

I don't think you can get banned for stating a fact or opinion (and in this case a pretty accurate one).

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Old 11-24-2003, 09:06 AM   #5
Jeff Reiser

Profile:
I am sure Coach or someone else could elaborate a little better but I think you need to look at your program. Fat burner is increased when your body is filled with potent anabolic chemicals produced by "Big" exercises. In other words the exercises that you do following Crossfit produces a potent neuroendocrine response.

It is amazing.

Old 11-24-2003, 06:13 PM   #6
Dale S. Jansen

Profile:
sean, all diet insulin related. insulin is the hormone that allows glucose to enter the cells and provide the fuel for energy production. the more quickly a food is able to be broken down into glucose, the more rapidly your pancreas must respond. the large amounts of rapidly broken down foods americans eat result in a pancreas that is overworked and ultimately unable to function efficiently. this results in too little insulin(high blood sugar)or damaged insulin(high blood sugar). so, we must be nice to our pancreas.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:57 PM   #7
Nicholas John Nakis

Profile:  
Thanks for the posts -

I guess the real question I have is this: SHould our exercise be mostly Anaerobic or mostly aerobic?

I've heard pretty convincing arguments for both, so we've each been trying to get alot of both types of workout... But it doesn't exactly seem compatible. That's why I've been getting into interval training. Is this the right path to be on?
Old 11-24-2003, 09:38 PM   #8
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Exercise should be Crossfit. Nuff Said.
Old 11-25-2003, 01:03 PM   #9
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Nicholas,

The interval training you mention, especially as implemented through Crossfit, is an excellent way to obtain both aerobic and anaerobic conditioning. Unless it is a part of your chosen sport, extended aerobic training should be used only sparingly (maybe a few times a month). By doing anaerobic work in intervals you can develop aerobic capacity without the muscle loss that normally accompanies long distance training efforts. For other benefits, check out the June '03 issue of the Crossfit Journal for an outstanding article on the subject.

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Old 11-25-2003, 03:13 PM   #10
Nicholas John Nakis

Profile:  
Jay -

Well, she's not gonna do Crossfit workouts. She's 4'11" and doesn't want to be tough anymore. She's just after self confidence, energy, and body confidence. I'm trying my damnedest though to get to the Crossfit level, doing crossfit-style workouts and learning alot of the exercises in the WOD that I didn't know before.

Ryan -

Did a lot more research online and checked out some archived message board stuff last night. The issue really became alot clearer for me as I was reading about the three waves of training adaptation and cross-referenced it with some of the other endurance material I've read and have lying around. Just the idea that efficiency is an undesirable adaptation to gain. Hell yes it is, if you're burning fuel more efficiently, that means your burning less. I'll take the first two, you can keep the third. good stuff.